• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[deleted.]

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
[deleted.]

Last edited:

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
I find it easier using just my thumb to control y/x, since by using the l/r your using both fingers working together rather just efficiently using one. But whatever floats your boat helping you shorthop, go ahead. Most people just practice a light tap on the y/x button instead.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Almost every Yoshi already has L/R set to jump for easy ETSing. I'm pretty sure that most other people have L/R set to something else besides shielding, too.

Nice idea, but it's not anything new....

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Thesis on Controller Modification

"L or R" to Jump
- Honestly it all depends on what your character you are using, you said "Majority of people only use one trigger, either L or R. This leaves one extra button all by itself. It came to me today, the idea of using that extra trigger for jumping." Here is a list for noticeable Characters that Should / Shouldn't apply too.

Doesn't apply too:
Snake - Snakes use one of the "L or R" so they can Dacus
Shiek - Shieks use one the "L or R" so they can Dacus
Toon Link - Use one of there "L or R" so they can Double arrow shoot
Anyone - Can use "L or R" so they can IHSA [basically holding "L or R" when picking up an item so they can use a smash attack by using the C stick]

Applied too:
Olimar - having C stick switch to special and Jump to "L or R" making it easier for Olimar to camp
Yoshi - To EST [or whatever it called]

- I dont see any character other than Olimar that having benefiting from "L or R" switched to jump
- However, if your not using anything else for "L or R" than of course you can benefit somehow because of having shorter distance to travel of your thumb to go from jump to something else.

My Controler
- I use R for "attack" so I can do TL double arrow, and for DDK so I can IHSA
- I use X for "Grab" so I can grab Items in the air easier, and it more comfortable for me

OVERALL
- It all matters on what your comfortable with.
- I think everyone should make atleast 1 modification because there is always something you can do to make someting easier.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
[deleted.]

Last edited:

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
It also lets you do OOS usmash and upb without tap jump on. That's what I use it for.
@phaty: You don't need the L/R trigger to DACUS, just use Z, and SHDA with TL doesn't require it either.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I find it far easier to do everything that you can do in Brawl with a default controller set up. I might have to do a bit of extra work to do some things, (Lucas's Jump + Side B rise thing) but I'm fine with it.

Besides, I used L to wavedash and R to shield in Melee. I now use L to Glide-Toss and R to shield for Brawl. It just feels right.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I have L/R set to attack/shield, I feel the pros of that setup are better than the pros of having jump/shield. I mean, I have tap-jump off so I don't have as many good OoS options (which having L as jump would fix), but having L as attack is easier to DACUS (in my opinion).

That probably doesn't make much sense, but you know what I mean.

Jahordon

Smash Journeyman
I have tap jump off, which means I can't up+B out of my shield. I recently made L be a jump button so I can now up+B out of my shield while having tap jump off, and I really like it.

Yo Mang

Smash Rookie
I've tried using L as jump so I can float with Peach while c sticking (otherwise, I just use my thumb to operate two face buttons simultaneously, X and A, which doesn't allow for c sticking). it's kinda neat to be able to fair spam while floating away, but I wound up abandoning it because it was too hard to get used to, especially since I play peach in both brawl and melee.

Top Bottom