• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

defensive shiek?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I usually play shiek very aggressively to keep pressure on my opponents, but I recently heard that shiek plays better defensively than offensively. Is this true? Have I been playing shiek all wrong :confused:? Please comment.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Play however you want. Choknater's successful playing aggressively, I play defensively. Doesn't matter.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If you play defensively then you're bound to do alot of downsmash. I play defensively and I find it to work great.

demodemo

Smash Ace
I play defensive but it looks like i play aggressive

i'm often rushing into setups and into my opponent, but i only do so to see how they react, and dodge/sheild accordingly. after they miss, i attack

i actually rarely attack first, since sheik has no good approaches except for needles/bair.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, Sheik plays an aggressive Defense. Most of Sheik's defensive techniques consist of making Sheik's aerial approach unpunishable or punishing others' approaches, either of which can lead to a tilt combo. Sheik's defensive advantages consist of the following:

1) Needles. Fast-firing, hard to dodge, disruptive projectiles. If your opponent is not approaching, you can charge them, and get even more of a disruptive edge out of it. They are great against some comon tactics. For example, if your opponent is prone to shorthopping an aerial at you, landing out of grab-range, and back-rolling before you can retaliate, a burst of needles will catch them out of the roll and pin them, setting you up for an approach
2) Downsmash. It comes out instantly, has high priority, and multiple hits. If your opponent shields, there is a fairly large chance it will shield-poke with a late hit, and if not, it will knock them out of retaliation range. If they spot-dodge, it will catch them out of the end of it. As Sheik's Fair, Nair, and Bair are essentially lagless, you can downsmash immediately upon landing when performing one of these moves, and it will catch an opponent who tries to shield-grab, or further pressure their shield if they hold it.
3) Uptilt. Instant, huge range, huge duration, high priority, great setup on the knockback. Protects Sheik from most aerial attacks, especially from above.
4) Bair. It can be used to hit outside of just about any grab range.

Top Bottom