• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defensive Fox?

The Joj

Smash Rookie
NNID
YouWantTheJoj
I was playing against some friends earlier today, and usually Fox isn't too much of a hassle to beat while Fox is playing aggressively, but one of my friends was playing a defensive fox (i.e. avoiding nearly all of my aerials, racking on damage pretty much exclusively with the blaster). Any suggestions on a counter for this? Thanks

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
I was playing against some friends earlier today, and usually Fox isn't too much of a hassle to beat while Fox is playing aggressively, but one of my friends was playing a defensive fox (i.e. avoiding nearly all of my aerials, racking on damage pretty much exclusively with the blaster). Any suggestions on a counter for this? Thanks
A defensive Fox is definitely harder for Falcon so I understand your struggle.

Try to mix up your approaches and edge recoveries and all that to be less readable. Lots of mind games and dash dancing will help as well.

Try to counter pick stages with platforms to avoid the lasers. Learn to power shield and jump over/duck under lasers whenever possible.

Once you get Fox in the air do your best to keep juggling him, as there isn't much a defensive Fox can do in the air or when you are very close by. Finish the Fox as quickly as possible (knees and stomps, although those go without saying).

Any specific situations you need help with?

The Joj

Smash Rookie
NNID
YouWantTheJoj
I actually main Jiggs in melee, also this is in the Jigglypuff board? But thanks for the input, I do play as Falcon pretty often too in melee.

Sprankles

Smash Rookie
Ha xD Your profile picture threw him off. Magister did you think he came to the puff boards because we have experience getting camped by foxes?

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
Ha xD Your profile picture threw him off. Magister did you think he came to the puff boards because we have experience getting camped by foxes?
Haha I forgot to look at which character discussion I was responding to. I just looked at his picture and his name.

I guess my advice still stands for the most part? Just apply it to Puff. The only non-transferrable stuff would be the stomping and knees, but if you can pull of a Puff knee maneuver go for it.

Lots of retreating nairs, maybe an occasional roll out to get you close to Fox quickly, but be sparing as the Fox will quickly catch on and punish. I guess you just have to ignore the laser damage and hope that it doesn't add up enough to get you uair/usmash KO'ed.

The Joj

Smash Rookie
NNID
YouWantTheJoj
Alright, rad. Thanks a bunch. Got some practice in today against some good Fox players so hopefully I can just try and read what they're trying to do.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Fox can camp you harder with lasers than you can with wop or any aerial. Fox camping vs jiggs is way better than falco's imo, falco's laser stun doesn't really help as jiggs can just keep floating around and avoid most shots anyway. Fox can rack up damage quickly with double lasers, sometimes i feel like is just ridiculous how fast he can put on damage, and when you are pretty high on % he'll try up throw + uair or up smash to kill you.

How to deal with camping fox, well... don't let him stay there and shoot you, approach him with some kind of bait / mindgame and basically force him to stop shooting and defend or do something else.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
You don't catch a rat running around, you back him into a corner and then you catch the ****** when it tries to escape.

Top Bottom