• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defense is the god stat

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
seriously. Max out a fighter's defense, and you're nearly unstoppable. This stat is one of the factors that makes classic mode less bs. Defense has op effects. Bigger, more durable shield, easier to power shield, take less damage, and best of all, getting launched is tougher. Only downside side is the speed loss and lower jumping. But who needs that when you're already hard to launch. Not to mention lower jumping can make your air attacks easier to land. So if you're curious into exploring customization and don't know what stat is best, go all in on defense and pwn that 9.0 master core!!

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
I hate playong a slow and bulky character, I prefer moving fast and dealing damage over a period of time while dodging. That's why I prefer Mario or Martha as my go to

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Item fumbler boots,crit badge and any defense badge which lowers by at least -40. Trust me that setup is godlike,

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I can't stand being slow and heavy. I've already cleared classic with every character, so there's not much reason for me to even bother with this :p

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
I friggen love tank characters. My main in Brawl was D3 and he was amazing. Now that I can finally create my OC I can finally make the littlest guardian swordman a reality. As in, she has almost 200 defense. I don't care if she's slow, you're not knocking her off the map!

Though I will admit it's fun to see how much damage I can deal with a single counter. Countering Ike with +200 power using a fully charged smash is satisfying. And +200 speed is really difficult to control. Honestly, other than having fun leaping around like you're Goku, it's not worth the massive drop in damage.

Last edited:

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
That's exactly why my main has almost 200 defense. I don't care if she's slow, you're not knocking her off the map!

Though I will admit it's fun to see how much damage I can deal with a single counter. Countering Ike with +200 power using a fully charged smash is satisfying.
Even more satisfying when it's against jigglypuff

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Even more satisfying when it's against jigglypuff
No, I mean countering Ike's smash. My record is dealing 182% damage countering one of his smashes, but I'm trying to break that. Then again, hitting with Ike's smash with that much power is amazing. The screen freezes for a full second as the game realizes how much **** you just wrecked with a single blow.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Defense Bowser is OP. Despite the fact that his jumps are rendered useless, It takes past 300% to kill him. He could conceivably enter Sudden Death and not be tooo hampered by it.

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
No, I mean countering Ike's smash. My record is dealing 182% damage countering one of his smashes, but I'm trying to break that. Then again, hitting with Ike's smash with that much power is amazing. The screen freezes for a full second as the game realizes how much **** you just wrecked with a single blow.
I've dealt 237 damage to jigglypuff using luigi's super jump punch with jigglypuff having extremely low defense. I used critical hit gear btw

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
I've dealt 237 damage to jigglypuff using luigi's super jump punch with jigglypuff having extremely low defense. I used critical hit gear btw
I'm not talking direct damage, I'm talking counter damage.

Just forget it. You ruined it for me. -.-

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
Defense Bowser is OP. Despite the fact that his jumps are rendered useless, It takes past 300% to kill him. He could conceivably enter Sudden Death and not be tooo hampered by it.
Add his tough guy feature to that and you have the ultimate tank

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The thing is though, facing any of the other two stats while they are buffed to the max counter balances things.

The loss of mobility that might come with high defence means you will never catch a Speed buffed opponent. And since they can juggle really well and you can be juggled really easily, they can quickly build up damage despite your defence boost.

And if you are facing a Power focused character, they simply have the extra power to neutralise your extra defence.

Then, you have character specific equipment setups which make things even more complicated and interesting.

For example, lets take a Bowser with massive defence buffs. Can survive to like 300% against a regular fighter without much problem. Cool.

Now pit him against my "Power Rosa" - Rosalina with +110 Attack, -2 Defence, -31 Speed.

This means my Rosalina can counter every single benefit of a tank Bowser. The match would be a cake walk:

-Having a totally Defence oriented Bowser means he loses out on much of his attack power. Meanwhile, my Rosalina is basically no easier to KO than normal (-2 Defence is virtually no change at all). So in hindsight, this means Rosalina is harder to KO than normal, because her defence is basically the same, but Bowser's power is greatly reduced.

-Rosalina now has absurd amounts of power to neutralise the Defence buff Bowser has.

-The Attack buffs apply to Luma. Making Rosalina's damage output and KO options even more absurd.

-The Speed reduction on Rosalina is not too bad. She's basically Mario speed. Mario can combo well in this game. Rosalina can too. So the speed reduction doesn't ruin that, since Rosalina has great range and juggle abilities regardless. And Bowser's Defence makes him even easier to do this to (and he's easy to do this to by default anyway, because he's so big and heavy). Expect Rosalina and Luma to play ping pong with Bowser and rack up that damage.

-Depending on the custom moves she uses, Rosalina can easily bypass Bowser's Defence and any "hold the fort" strategies he might use because of it. Luma Warp means she can send (an Attack buffed) Luma right behind him and easily punish any attempts at attack (Luma Warp has virtually no end lag, both Rosalina and Luma can attack out of it near instantly).

-Should Rosalina be knocked off stage, she still has an amazing recovery. However, Bowser's ability to recover has been nerfed quite a bit. Against an edge guarding master like Rosalina (who is now BETTER at said edge guarding due to buffed damage and knockback), this is most undesirable.

Last edited:

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Defense makes you harder to launch by increasing weight or reducing incoming launch power (not 100% which, but the end result is essentially the same).

Increasing your attack makes you do more damage, but actually does very little for your ability to launch opponents.

Assume your F-smash will KO from the center of an Omega stage at 85% without equipment.

Now give the attacker +100 attack, and the defender +100 defense. You may think "Oh, they'll just cancel each other out!"

Nope.

That same scenario now requires the attacker to get the defender to 120% for that same f-smash to KO from the same spot.

So if you thought players lived too long without equipment and that a camping playstyle was too good... start allowing equipment and watch how bad it gets when everyone stacks defense like crazy.

Plus, they considered this for classic mode. That's why master core turns into you as part of the battle. So annoying trying to deal with an AI that barely moves when you hit it.

Top Bottom