• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defeating Pikachu's toughest opponents

iankobe

Smash Lord
It's true. If your shield is damaged and they tornado, run. They can't outmaneuver you with it. Plus it's only high damage the first time they get you with it, and if you run and get clipped in the end you can be a lot more risky around it. At that point I sit in my shield and release it into a dsmash when they try to poke through it.
What are your tips for MK?

Anther

Smash Champion
I mean I'm no expert on the matchup of Pikachu vs. GaW, but I definitely play him enough to know a basic strategy. I found it's futile to approach him. His bair has a lot of hits strung together, then one final hit before it hits the ground. If you know this you can shield grab him out of it. Also, don't approach him unless you're absolutely sure he won't be able to just run away + bair you. I don't really spam thundershocks, since he can bucket them and then you have to watch out for that all match, but if you must and he buckets it, you should have enough time to run up and grab him.

So basically just play very defensively, shield his approaches, don't thundershock, and learn his moves. If he grabs you press R to tech his dthrow even if he isn't doing a dthrow, that way you won't get caught in any roll-chase -> usmash mindgames.
So true. The bair is just too good. I used to think powershielding was a decent counter to it, but the turtle's bite at the end still hits you. Stupid G&w -_-.

If it's a Gw's first time playing me I'll spam thunderbolts when they get to around 90% so I can punish the lag with an upsmash (Hopefully not stale..).

And to add... a decent "Counter-tactic-but-not-really" to the bair that I found while playing Lucario (because it works way better with him...) is to roll behind him. If you don't do it so late that you get dsmashed by him it'll allow you an opening for a grab or a dsmash... or get you out of the corner he got you into with bairs. But still, don't do it to the point that you get roll chased into one of his smashes... that's just embarassing XD.

is mario a threat to pikachu?
I dunno, in melee and in this game Mario / Luigi just straight up beat most of your aerials. They definitely aren't Pika's easiest matchups if they can get past jolt spam.

Top Bottom