• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deep Breathing info

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Disclaimer, I did some very crude, very quick tests to just get a general idea of how this move works. I am sure someone with more time and patience can get some more legit and accurate time/frame data, but for those that just want a general idea maybe this will be helpful. I am sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a quick search and didn't find anything, but feel free to close if so. All of the following was tested in training mode, so perhaps it's different in actual battles.

this move is dumb as hell but also necessary to get the most out of WFT imo

What it Does
So a successful DB heals you for 2% and empowers your attacks for 8 seconds. Your character has purple-ish sparkles around her for the duration of the buff. it increases both damage and knockback. How much it increases on what move seems to have no rhyme or reason imo.
For the vast majority of moves, it only increases the damage by 1%. It improves, I believe, EVERY damage dealing move, including throws by at least 1%.
notable exception are F-smash, Up-Smash, Header, and fully charged Sun Salutation which it increases by 2-3%. Also, In my tests, sometimes uncharged Sun Salutation will not do increased damage, and sometimes it would do 1% more damage.
In terms of damage, I consider this bonus relatively negligible.
However, knockback is a different story. Knockback is a bit tedious to fully test, but the most significant thing I found was that DB significantly increases the knockback on your F-Tilt and Upsmash, and it also increases the knockback on your F-smash but a good amount, but not as much as F-Tilt and Upsmash. Seriously F-Tilt and Upsmash kill like TWENTY PERCENT earlier when you have the buff. You can kill people at like 70-80 percent with DB-buffed Ftilt/upsmash depending on stage position and character. F-smash (and D-Smash I believe) kills about ten percent earlier.
The move also increases knockback on other moves like uptilt ,downtilt, d-smash, and all throws but these are moves that you're rarely going to score early kills with. The increased knockback on d-smash could be useful for setting up edge guards more easily because of the extreme angle it sends people.

Duration/Cooldown stuff
Okay so a fresh DB takes about 1 second to complete. If you successfully perform the DB, you are put in an "increased time cool down" for the move. Basically, the duration of the next DB will be higher, with the duration of subsequent DBs decreasing over time. For example, if you successfully pull off a DB and immediately try it again, the duration will be 10 seconds (lol). However, if you successful pull off a DB and then wait 30 seconds and then try again, the duration will be 2 seconds. From my (again, very quick/crude) tests, it takes a bout 60 seconds for the duration to get back down to 1 second. You are NOT penalized for failed attempts, except for the following:

If you fail a DB, the next DB within about 30 seconds will be a 2 second duration, assuming you have not recently completed a successful DB and thus are in the "increased time cool down" as described above. Every failed DB resets this timer. After 30 seconds without attempting the move, the duration will return to normal (1 second). Canceling the move with a shield/roll etc. counts as a failed attempt and the above will apply.

If you are in the "increased time cool down" as described above, the duration of subsequent DBs will continue to decrease UNTIL you get to about 30 seconds remaining in the cooldown, when the duration is about 2 seconds. At this point, the paragraph above applies (i.e each attempt will reset the timer to 30 seconds).

That's kind of complicated, I hope I explained it okay.

I did not test whether there were any other ways to affect the duration of the move (such as doing attacks etc).

So you can formulate your strategy how you like, but from my perspective, this move at early percents is only useful for baiting your opponent, as people feel forced to approach when you're charging the move. I wouldn't seriously worry about getting this off at early percents. However, as soon as your opponent hits 70-80 I would try to have this up as much as possible. Try to wait 20-30s after a successful cast before trying again.

Again, my tests were quick and crude and it's very possible I have something wrong. Feel free to correct me if you've done better tests. But hopefully this gives some people just a general idea of how the move works.

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
yeah. I basically came to the same conclusion. Seems like, now with the current balance of the character, it's probably best that you play her as a incremental/zoning character. This means that moves like deep breathing and fully charged sun salutation will be reserved for the later game.

GalaxyWaffles

Smash Apprentice
Really good info! I hope more WFT mains begin to incorporate DB into their gameplay as it will be very important in the growing meta.

I think we should also take a look at her custom move DB 3 some time soon. If customs are allowed DB 3 will become very relevant.

Fadacious

Smash Rookie
It's probably just me being crap, but whenever I use DB I can't hit any of my attacks lmao

mistermews

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8819-2543
Excellent data!
Also some pointers on what to do after DB;

• If you've used it in a position where you are on the stage and the opponent is offstage, use Sun Salutation and aerials accordingly.
  • If in a situation where both players are on the stage, F-Tilt and grabs are always the way to go.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Has anyone fleshed this information out a little more?

I know we have a kill percents guide, but it doesn't have a "under Deep Breathing" section?

Also this thing only lasts for 8 seconds. Lame.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Our resident Master Core diver and all around great person @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans definitely has, but they've been scattered posts for the most part in the general thread.

Hi! Yeah, sorry about that. Pretty sure all of my posts on DB are either in the social/general or the hitbox data thread. In summary though:

• DB can be shield canceled
    • Doing this in midair does not put you into special fall/helpless
    • Initiating DB in midair greatly reduces your vertical momentum while boosting you a bit upwards if it starts at the point of KB where you would stop going in an arc and start falling (relatively) straight down
  • DB has a penalty system
    • Missing or shield canceling a DB is a penalty
    • initiating another DB session while already under effects of a previous one is a penalty (well more like three in terms of startup)
    • initiating another DB session a short time after the effects of a previous one have worn off is two penalties
    • getting hit during DB startup is NOT a penalty
  • Initiating another DB session while already under the effects of a previous one will immediately remove the effects if you miss or cancel it
  • DB heals 2% on 0-, 1-, and 2-penalty sessions, while healing 1% on any penalties after that
    • Before the v1.0.5 patch, I think it only healed 2% during 0- and 1- penalty sessions
  • The effects of DB last about 8S/480F
    • During DB, your attacks do x1.16 damage
      • Before the v1.0.5 patch, you would do x1.16 damage on fresh DBs, then x1.15 on later ones (I don't remember if it was after one or two penalties). Now, it seems to always be x1.16?
    • During DB, you take x0.9 damage
      • Due to the short duration of DB, I'm not sure if penalties affect this. I'll try to hopefully test out by controlling more CPUs at once to get a higher DPS
    • I'm not sure if DB actually adds any multipliers to your attacks' BKB/KBG. The higher KB can be attributed to their increased base damage, but then again an in-game tip does say that your "launching power is increased" (launch is Sakurai's word for knockback)
I think that's about it...

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Do we have a KO chart for Deep Breathing?

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'll have to read it on my computer instead of my phone. Great information, though.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
I read this in the Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS Guidebook.

"Wii Fit Trainer breathes in to relax. During this, an outer circle approaches an inner red circle. Hit the button when they meet to gain additional damage and launching power, reduced damage taken, and slightly increased walk speed. You also receive 2% health. If you don't time this right, you are left vulnerable."

Top Bottom