• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede's Up B super armor frames.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Cool. It was more interesting watching 3D get chain grabbed though. Thats gonna be ****ty.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Why is it called "Super Armor Frames" when it gives no damage protection. It should be called something relating to knockback or weight.

And I don't know where this "Super" came frome too. >_>

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Why is it called "Super Armor Frames" when it gives no damage protection. It should be called something relating to knockback or weight.

And I don't know where this "Super" came frome too. >_>
We should call them "inyaface frames". :laugh:

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
"Super Armor" is used in other fighting games to describe the same effect. Sometimes "Heavy frames" is also used. It's an already established term to describe an attack that does not cause flinching, but still inflicts damage.

As for the word "super" in super armor, I believe the term originated from Marvel Super Heroes, where obtaining a space gem would give certain characters (Magneto, Juggernaut) the effect of super armor. I think the first time it has been called super armor in a game is Marvel vs Capcom 2, where stealing a power with Rogue from either Juggernaut, Sentinel, or Colossus would give you super armor, and the game would actually say "super armor".

Vayseth

Smash Master
lol, I was there and that chain grab was hilarious.

We should look into where and when the super armor takes place. It looks like it's only from the side, and only on the upward motion (I got spiked going up and getting hit from above). Other thing I noticed is he seems to be invincible when canceling the u.B (using down) for a short time because I canceled the up B to grab the edge and just as I did it, an opposing player's forward smash completely whiffed inside of me. It was weird...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
around 0:50, i saw DDD trying to get back on with his Up B and got hit but didnt get knock backed. pretty cool. but, how come his Up B didn't go as high as usual? is it cus he got hit? or you can press down while going up?

edit: cool pikachu and CG well:)

Dustlord

Smash Cadet
"Super Armor" is used in other fighting games to describe the same effect. Sometimes "Heavy frames" is also used. It's an already established term to describe an attack that does not cause flinching, but still inflicts damage.

As for the word "super" in super armor, I believe the term originated from Marvel Super Heroes, where obtaining a space gem would give certain characters (Magneto, Juggernaut) the effect of super armor. I think the first time it has been called super armor in a game is Marvel vs Capcom 2, where stealing a power with Rogue from either Juggernaut, Sentinel, or Colossus would give you super armor, and the game would actually say "super armor".
Heh, I always thought it was from the Megaman Battle Network series, since you could have an ability called Super Armor that would keep you from flinching when hit, and since thats what the Super Armor frames do in this game, I just naturally made the connection.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Thanks, lemonlau36 that shed a lot of light on the term.

I think I'll stick with "Heavy Frames" since Smash is not a super hero game.

ScythedBlade

Smash Cadet
The reasons we call them super armor frames? Because its official terminology ... unlikes "wavedashing" or like "Ken Combo" (I never refer to Ken Combos as that ... I always say Fair Dair Marth Combo ... and all the people in the forums should learn to fcking stop naming combos and moves after aliases ... ... like latin family terminology) ... So anyway, Sakurai made it named Super Armor Frames ...

Top Bottom