• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede's most useless move?

Worst Dedede Move?

• Jet Hammer

Votes: 63 87.5%
  • Dedede Jump

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Gordo Throw

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Inhale

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I think we've had 2 other threads asking similar questions. Anyway, of those 4 moves, I don't think any of them are useless, but relatively speaking, it would be jet hammer. Must lower on the usefulness scale.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
In any instance where Jet Hammer might be useful, I can think of something else that would be MORE useful. Jumped Jets aren't...totally bad, just, well, there are always other, less risky options that can provide nearly the same power.

For the most part, it's only useful in the "No one expects you to use it, and it's intimidating" sense.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
In any instance where Jet Hammer might be useful, I can think of something else that would be MORE useful. Jumped Jets aren't...totally bad, just, well, there are always other, less risky options that can provide nearly the same power.

For the most part, it's only useful in the "No one expects you to use it, and it's intimidating" sense.
Aint nothing as useful as securing the kill right then and then with the most powerful move you got.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Gordo throw, obviously.

It gets reflected by everything! How am I supposed to use it in neutral?!

It's the worst move and Dedede is the worst character!!

jaddasroots

Smash Rookie
NNID
jaddasbranch
Jet Hammer I feel like is only a pocket move for when your opponent doesn't expect it. But any other time why risk the Jet when a side smash will suffice?

Also #BuffGordoThrow2k15. I've had to practice knocking gordos back because all they need is a love tap to be sent back. I feel that it needs more than just a jab to be knocked back.

jaddasroots

Smash Rookie
NNID
jaddasbranch
Why is Gordo toss so underappreciated? I feel it's probably one of the best things about Dedede. I've never played brawl but I've seen how Waddle Dee toss works, so I might be biased.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
People who say that Gordo Toss are his worst move don't know how to play the character. Lots of top level players (outside of Jdawg for whatever reason) use Gordo Toss quite a lot and very effectively. Just watch Atmosk VS DK Will at Hitbox Arena http://www.twitch.tv/hitboxarena/v/9449769 5:58:00

jaddasroots

Smash Rookie
NNID
jaddasbranch
People who say that Gordo Toss are his worst move don't know how to play the character. Lots of top level players (outside of Jdawg for whatever reason) use Gordo Toss quite a lot and very effectively. Just watch Atmosk VS DK Will at Hitbox Arena http://www.twitch.tv/hitboxarena/v/9449769 5:58:00
I definitely agree. Gordos have so many options and are good for mindgames, stop people from approaching. I feel it's what helps separate D3 from the rest of the heavies. He's fast, has projectiles (tho they can be knocked back), is heavy, has range with his hammer, and super armor on the up b along with multiple jumps. In my friends words "Dedede will not die."

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
I actual find myself using Jet Hammer more often than I use up-tilt. This is definitely personal bias though, considering I play friendlies often against a Ganondorf and he is probably one of the easiest characters to punish with Jet Hammer.

JSConrad45

Smash Cadet
Jet hammer can punish a lot of moves on a read -- just about any fsmash without a lot of diagonal coverage, most dsmashes, plenty of dash attacks and dash grabs, all tether grabs -- by hopping over the opponent's hitbox, pulling out the jet hammer in the air, and unleashing once you touch the ground.

By buffering the jet hammer during your jumpsquat, you should be able to get a 14% damage charge out of a short hop (kills Mario from center of 3DS Final Destination at 118%) and 16% charge out of a full hop (kills Mario at 103%). You get punished if you screw up, but not by anything worse than you'd get punished with for screwing up anything else in that situation. Since this starts with a jump, it's an option out of a run and out of shield (and out of the air if an airjump will suffice to evade the opponent's attack), unlike fsmash (which is otherwise better than JH). And, yeah, any character can hop-over punish on read like this, but not many can do it that hard.

Plus the full charge reaches below the ledge to destroy people during ledge snap vulnerability.

(You don't have to jump. I was just showing off.)

It's definitely the least useful of Dedede's specials, but not his least useful move. (That would be dair.)

Last edited:

jaddasroots

Smash Rookie
NNID
jaddasbranch
Huh. That's definitely a neat little thing I'll have to think about adding to my Dedede playing. I like it.

The Dedede main I learn from has used jet hammer for mind games. Instead of going for the ledge punish, he instead goes for the roll on stage read since you immediately turn around and release. It's flashy and risky, but probably worth it if you've conditioned your opponent.

Also I've probably maybe nailed the dair as much as I can count on my fingers. Landing Dark Pit's is easier for me and his hitboxes on his dair are pretty janky.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Jet Hammer is the closets I can get to it. But regardless, I still think it has it's uses.

If I've knocked my opponent off the stage for example, that's when I usually tend to set-it up. If you get just the right set up and timing with it, it's an excellent killing move for it's extreme knockback power, and unlike his F-Smash, it allows you to maintain some degree of mobility when in use, and the ability to swing at will.

It's not entirely useless, but it's the closet move that comes to being so.

A Rogue Cop

Smash Cadet
Dair is vastly more useless than any other move he has. But at the same time I have gotten a couple of lucky hits with it by jumping and immediately using to underneath me when the opponent rolls under where I was.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Are we talking specials or his moveset in general?

If it's the former, he doesn't necessarily have a worst move, though Inhale would probably come close outside of situational kamikazes and stage spit-outs.

If it's the latter... Dedede's forward smash is his worst move. While it is powerful, it's also very slow, making it predictable and easy to punish. The move is best used as an edgeguarder or a roll-punisher, I'd say.

RandomLax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RelaxBro
3DS FC
3668-7762-8508
Most useless special is definitely Jet Hammer, Inhale is good to keep people scared to shield when they start to predict the nair approach, Gordos are crazy useful as long as you use them with care and don't try to abuse them (they aren't a projectile they are alive...) His Super Dedede Jump is great, its just not (too) useful for anything except recovery.

Worst move hands down is Dair, situational as crap, slow to start, and the hitbox is TINY. I don't understand why it was changed in the first place though, with the new fair (and essentially no dair now he has nothing to stop juggles, and) no good air approach.

Last edited:

DoubleReed

Smash Rookie
Jethammer is basically strictly worse than Gordo Toss. DDD does a hammer hit when he throws out the Gordo anyway (even if a Gordo is already out), which does more damage than the uncharged hammer. So the hammer can only be better if you charge it up. And charging it up sucks.

The inhale is an incredibly useful move, because it gets past both shields and spot-dodges. It really helps mitigate some of DDD's weaknesses.

The Dair isn't totally useless because it's a powerful spike. It just has an awkward hitbox. But yea Jethammer and Dair are the most useless.

Last edited:

Darlos9D

Smash Rookie
Its so fun to hit with jet hammer though, heh. Also the gordo toss hammer swing comes out kinda slow. I don't find it to be a great random poke in close quarters, where I think the jet hammer uncharged comes out pretty quick. Jet hammer does also have the destinction of basically being a smash where you can turn around and move freely while charging it, for what its worth.

But yeah I don't rely on it exactly.

EDIT: Not sure why I thought gordo toss was slower than jet hammer. They're about the same.

It's faster than your forward smash though, that's for sure.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Y'know as difficult as it is to use, Jet Hammer's one of my favorite moves to perform.

Getting a K.O. with it is just so satisfying.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Jethammer for sure. It's only use really is when getting shield break at a low percent.

dreamastermind

Smash Cadet
I'd vote down air if I could. It's very hard to utilize. I should try and get better with it, but the timing is so darn strict otherwise it cancels when you get close to the ground or you're too high to hit them. I've at least made some use of the jet hammer.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Dedede's moveset would be a whole lot better if the sweetspots overlapped the sourspots instead of what it is now, like Lucas's fair.

Zmadness

Smash Rookie
NNID
Coagulon
Nothing is better for bating counters than the Jet Hammer. So much fun to charge it on one side of the map and slowly walk over and obliterate a poor, scared Lucina or Mac

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I'm not saying dair is a good move but I'm not sure it's a shoe in for his worst either. There are times where if you have a good read on certain recoveries the dair really isn't that hard to hit. Also the sourspot is surprisingly strong when it comes to horizontal knockback- it can KO people onstage at 100%ish I think and sometimes a bair is not in the cards (maybe you're facing the wrong way, maybe the opponent has some horizontal disjoint). I've found some success into baiting people into airdodging offstage by approaching them and faking the bair/fair, but then immediately multijumping starting a dair and then fastfalling partway through to catch their airdodge ending. I'm sure that dair is worse than inhale, upB (upB is actually really good for edgeguarding for instance since you can go as deep as you want and still make it back), and side B. I don't however know enough about DownB to say which is better.

Up Smash. Please fix this move so it is no longer a stain in Dedede's repertoire.
This move is certainly in need of fixing but even in its current state it's a good move. It can catch airdodges in a read and if you make sure to hit with the rear hit (possibly even by doing pivot jump cancel Usmash out of a run) you'll guarantee the powerful hit. I'd also like to see fair hitboxes added so that Fair actually hits in front and above Dedede as it looks like it should.

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I'm not saying dair is a good move but I'm not sure it's a shoe in for his worst either. There are times where if you have a good read on certain recoveries the dair really isn't that hard to hit. Also the sourspot is surprisingly strong when it comes to horizontal knockback- it can KO people onstage at 100%ish I think and sometimes a bair is not in the cards (maybe you're facing the wrong way, maybe the opponent has some horizontal disjoint). I've found some success into baiting people into airdodging offstage by approaching them and faking the bair/fair, but then immediately multijumping starting a dair and then fastfalling partway through to catch their airdodge ending. I'm sure that dair is worse than inhale, upB (upB is actually really good for edgeguarding for instance since you can go as deep as you want and still make it back), and side B. I don't however know enough about DownB to say which is better.

This move is certainly in need of fixing but even in its current state it's a good move. It can catch airdodges in a read and if you make sure to hit with the rear hit (possibly even by doing pivot jump cancel Usmash out of a run) you'll guarantee the powerful hit. I'd also like to see fair hitboxes added so that Fair actually hits in front and above Dedede as it looks like it should.
I'd like to see fair hit boxes on bair, but dedede can't win against sakurai-bias.

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I'd like to see fair hit boxes on bair, but dedede can't win against sakurai-bias.
On bair? I think his bair is fine as is- it's a wicked powerful move with a good deal of disjoint that isn't even that slow all things considered.

Top Bottom