• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede's inhale and Kirby's inhale

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I noticed that Dedede's inhale actually pulls opponents in with a wind effect when they're standing just outside it's range. Kind of like Minase Akiko's vacuum cleaner attack from EFZ.

Did Kirby's inhale get the same treatment, or is this Dedede-exclusive?

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Dedede has a higher powered suck, and it pulls stronger than kirby's i think kirby has that effect, but only lightly and slowly.

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Dedede has a higher powered suck, and it pulls stronger than kirby's i think kirby has that effect, but only lightly and slowly.

Yeah, i noticed it first of dedede, his actually has a pretty nice range on it. I am kinda dissapointed though that his star shot isnt more powerful than kirby's, since he doesnt get copy i dont see why he only gets a gimped inhale. I think it'd be nice if either A) it deals more % than kirbies, both to the inhaled person, and to anyone the star shot hits, or B) give dedede the ability to walk around while inhaling (this would be freaking hilarious. GET IN MAH BELLY!!!)

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
ddd's inhale also cancles quite a bit of attacks...and appears to have some frames of SA

few things ive discovered:

1) if u inhale while Ike is charging his Over + B when he hits u he will continue through u...done on the edge of FD he will pass right by you and fall off the edge

2)if u inhale while sonic is charging Over+B or Down+B u will inhale them once they get close to you

ive used both strats vrs Ike's and spamming sonics with success

Vet

Smash Cadet
I have noticed that when I inhale someone with DDD and jump off the edge they cannot seem to get out. My friend's Ike mashed every button on his controller and could not get out at 0. Anyone have any ideas on this?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ok, so I tested this myself now that I have the game, and it turns out that Kirby DOESN'T have a wind effect on his inhale, and it also has a lot less range even without it.

Lol, Dedede's got bigger lungs, of course.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I can't find the wind effect on Kirby's inhale. I had the opponent inch closer to him while he was inhaling and stand right at the end of the suction and nothing happened. Dedede on the other hand, pulls people in even if they're standing outside the "wind" graphic.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Well, what kind of characters are you trying this against? I dunno, I can't necessarily explain it, but it's most effective on people trying to dash attack and whatnot, along the lines of sonic, meta knight, kirby, etc. I use it sparingly though.

EDIT: Another neat thing about his inhale is that it can activate landmines early, and make them keep exploding, like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLIQRnhL_94.

Doval

Smash Lord
and stand right at the end of the suction
And there's your problem.

The hit box for Inhale is right next to Kirby. Everything else is wind, though it doesn't pull at the tip of the wind animation. Still, try it with Ike and you'll see that his cape and headband get pulled as if wind was blowing from behind Ike.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
And there's your problem.

The hit box for Inhale is right next to Kirby. Everything else is wind, though it doesn't pull at the tip of the wind animation. Still, try it with Ike and you'll see that his cape and headband get pulled as if wind was blowing from behind Ike.
Yeah, but that's not what I mean. Kirby's inhale has a graphical wind effect, but it doesn't have an actual PULLING effect.

Dedede actually pulls people in slightly before swallowing them if they're standing outside the hitbox. Kind of like Ganondorf's up tilt. With Kirby, that doesn't seem to happen.

Well whether Kirby has the wind effect or not, Dedede's still has a lot more range either way.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Inhales work similar to grabs. Not so sure if Kirby's Inhale does the same thing, given the short range of his inhale.

Anyways, to elaborate on the properties. Ever noticed that if you time a grab just as you're getting hit, you'll only take the damage, but successfully grab? Inhale has similar properties with a wider range, since the attacks actually stop when the enemy is just in front of Dedede's mouth (to ball up and be eaten).

Also, the wind effect with Dedede is much stronger than Kirby's, activating just about where the wind animation starts. However, using it at this long range is a bad idea. Consider short hop Inhaling towards your opponent. That way, they are balled up and eaten almost immediately.

If your opponent is not keen on escaping Inhale quickly after spitting them out, or if they just keep coming back at you, chain Inhale can wrack up some %s on your enemy.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
ddd gets invincibility frames while using inhale. someone back this up?
ive had too many times where ive used inhale, taken a strong hit & %, but finished the inhale and didnt suffer knockback

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
ive had too many times where ive used inhale, taken a strong hit & %, but finished the inhale and didnt suffer knockback
That's not invincibility, that's super armor frames. And yeah, that has happened to me a bit.

If I'm trying to Regicide and it's too far to the ledge, I inhale them, spit them out, jump, then inhale for the Regicide. Not a 100% effective attack, of course.

Doval

Smash Lord
NESSBOUNDER said:
Yeah, but that's not what I mean. Kirby's inhale has a graphical wind effect, but it doesn't have an actual PULLING effect.
I have no idea why you can't see the pulling effect. Try inhaling a shielding character (shielding characters don't get pulled by wind because they have too much traction) at different ranges and you'll find the max range of Inhale's hit box. Then try having a character stand somewhere between the edge of the wind animation and the Inhale hit box, and you'll see he gets pulled before going into that tumbling animation as he/she/it gets eaten (even better, do it at 1/4 speed in Training.) The range on the wind isn't huge but it increases the effective range of Inhale's small hit box rather nicely.
The |Egg| Sniper said:
Inhales work similar to grabs. Not so sure if Kirby's Inhale does the same thing, given the short range of his inhale.
Yes, they're both grabs. You could use Debug Mode in Melee to see that it's the same kind of hit box as normal grabs. Stuff like Koopa Klaw and Falcon/Ganon's Up-B's are also grabs.
theGreatDekuTree said:
What you describe (taking a hit and % but no knockback) is Super Armor. However, it's not Super Armor, you don't take the % when inhaling. Inhale does have invincibility, from the time the character is kicking in your mouth as Kirby/Dedede swallows, until you can act. If that's not it, then it's what The Egg Sniper described - grabs have priority over getting hit, so if you Inhale the foe the same frame the foe hits you, you'll take the damage but grab him anyways. It's not Super Armor, though, because Super Armor causes your character to "freeze" from the attack's hit lag, whereas this does not. It's sort of like a phantom hit/glancing blow from Melee.

Top Bottom