• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede's best options out of throw

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
For the longest time, I (and I think most DDD mains) used downthrow to fair religiously. Especially in the 3DS version before the knockback was changed, it was a great follow-up and worked for a while (I think it worked up to like 80% on most characters 3DS, now til about 35-40)

But recently I realized fair's long landing lag has gotten me punished a lot. I went to a tourney recently and tried out downthrow nair, and realized it does the same amount of damage and can be retreated. I figured out that on floaties you can get full hop fair into falling nair, and on heavies you can usually get two nairs. At this tournament, however, there was another DDD using reverse bair, which does 22% and can be retreated for safety. I've stolen that and I think that may be DDD's safest option.

But I'm curious if there's anything you guys have discovered other than this? Obviously d-throw up air at higher % is amazing, and I've seen some mixup stuff like d-throw + 2 jumps to bait the air dodge, then up tilted Gordo (courtesy of Pump Magic).

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Down throw shop U-Air ff cancel U-Air grab repeat

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
It does and it doesn't. Depends on who you go against and considering that D3 is not a common pick most people don't know much about it. They can get out of it low-mid % but with good reads and execution it still works on a hefty amount of people. At least that's my experience in FG though I still think a lot of tourny players don't run into D3 mains that often.

Basically it works until it doesn't.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Are you guys talking about the uair cancel into regrab? That never actually was legit, since they could immediately act out of it even before 1.0.4, but it was/is still good for a nice mix-up option and let's you good a few good grabs on people that aren't aware of it. I did it a couple times online earlier today.

I usually just go for the uair and let the whole thing play out. It isn't necessarily the best option but I've found it to be the most consistent and safest for me. I probably should get into the habit of using nair/reverse bairs at lower percents to switch things up and keep moves fresh, but it's also pretty easy to mess up and throw out a fair which is never safe. Then again I've never had the greatest technical input, I'm better at the fundamental stuff myself.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Word like I said it works until it doesn't.

Reverse Bair is always good though I find that Dthrow Nair is like 99% consistent

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I've sworn by dthrow>bair since release, but sadly it stops working kind of early after 1.0.4 (much earlier than training would indicate, rage is quick to ruin dthrow combos).

My throw priorities:
- Dthrow>nair at 0%
- Dthrow>bair at 10~40%
- Dthrow>uair at 40~60%
- Pummel>bthrow/fthrow past that

and I've seen some mixup stuff like d-throw + 2 jumps to bait the air dodge, then up tilted Gordo (courtesy of Pump Magic).
This is actually brilliant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom