• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede's air game discussion

yourmother

Smash Rookie
OK I just kind of wanted a place for some open discussion about Dedede's air game, which seems to be one of his biggest strong points, once you get used to it, so I'll start off with some of my observations on the subject.

First off, D3, while aerially mobile, is kind of slow in the air. What this means is that while he doesn't have any trouble recovering from getting hit or jumping off to edgeguard, he does have a little trouble from time to time maneuvering in the air. His multiple, relatively short jumps, give more aerially quick characters like a yoshi or a lucas/ness a fairly simple time maneuvering around his aerials while attempting to spike/edgeguard/whatever.

Up-B recovery - I don't really see any reason to cancel this if you're not going for an edge-grab. If you're landing on the stage, the recovery is almost the same if you cancel it, and you have a chance to disrupt their attempt to punish you with your stars if they don't do their spacing right. Usually I go for the ledge-grab anyways, but I don't see a reason to cancel it if you're not.

OK, on to the actual aerials.

Fair - this seemed to me like a very promising move when I first started using D3 until I realized that the hitbox is not what it seems like when you first start. It's got a huge knockback, good damage, great priority, and comes out pretty frickin fast, but in spite of swinging the hammer down below himself, it doesn't hit below him, and actually only hits directly in front of him. This all but eliminates it from short hopping strategies. You can still use it on the downside of a non-FFed short hop, but this is kind of cumbersome, and not reccomended. This move is good for killing people on edgeguards or in other air to air situations, but that seems to be about the extent of it, and it requires a little more precise placement than it would seem.

Dair - Again, seemed a little better than it was, although this remains a really good move. This is one of my favorite ways to rack up damage with D3, and can even be comboed into an Uair at certain percentages due to the strange fact that it hits the opponent up instead of down, but again, it can't really be used effectively on a short-hop. Even on a non-FFed short hop, he hits the ground before the attack finishes, meaning the opponent doesn't take the all important last hit(the one with the knockback/stun), and dedede will have a much longer recovery animation than he normally would, meaning you will almost always get punished if you short-hop this against someone who knows what's up. Again, good priority and a disjointed hitbox make this a relatively safe move to use air-to-air, or you can use it against grounded opponents on a full jump, although you will almost never get all the hits in.

Bair - This is really his money move in the air. This has good knockback, not quite the same as his Fair but it makes up for it in other ways. First off, this move is really fast, in all respects. It comes out fast, it ends fast, you recover fast if you hit the ground with it out. This makes it his best multi-purpose air move IMO. At low percentages this can be used in a wall-of-pain type strategy to carry your opponent with the kicks, although the knockback becomes a bit too heavy fairly quickly. It can be used in shorthops, particularly with the dash-reversing and FFing strategies for some of his fastest offense due to the fact that it has almost no recovery time if you just smash yourself into the ground with a FF. I spam this quite a bit.

Nair - Kind of a strange move, but useful in its own way. The hitbox is kind of small, a little smaller than it seems like it should be in my experience, and the priority is not too great, but much like the Bair, it comes out really fast and recovers really fast upon hitting the ground. Although it's pretty easy to hit D3 out of this if you see it coming, the trick is to use it in mixups, particularly with his Bair. If your enemy sees you doing dash-reverse-Short hop -FFed Bair over and over, it can really throw them off if you just Shop forward and then right when you're over them drop into a quick Nair. The other thing that makes this useful, ironically, is that it has some of the least knockback of any of D3's moves, making it one of very few combo starters. After you hit it, combo it into a Utilt for some serious dmg. You have to work for it, but it can be worth it to land this move.

Uair - Much like his Dair, this has a disjointed hitbox and pretty high priority, also knocks the opponent upwards. This move obviously isn't going to be used on a Short hop since he sticks his hammer way up above himself. This is pretty much your only option for pursuing someone who you've hit upwards with something like a Dsmash, or someone who's just on a platform above you. Racks up some good damage, and knocks up enough to kill at high percentages. I mean really, you can only use it when they're above you, so do it.

Anyways, this is meant to open up some discussion on what could be one of the most powerful parts of Dedede's game, so anybody else have observations?

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
I think he recovers much faster from up-b if you cancel it on the ground. If you let it play out, then have time to position themselves outside of the stars and have a pretty big window before you get out of the landing animation. If you cancel, you can fastfall and DI and it's less predictable.

I have also seen good aerial mindgames involving sh bairs, sh ff, and sh ff into dashing shield grab.

Fair also hits a bit above him. The hit box seems to be 12oclock to 3 oclock if he's facing to the right. (visualize ^^)

I will discuss more later. I think this is a good topic for kinda listing out the viable options and strategies with his aerials.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
It was mentioned somewhere around here, but his nair cancels Snake's mortars. I can confirm that from use.

I'm starting to like his fair more, but the hitbox is small, and weird at first. I don't use his Uair because I don't get a whole lot of good times to use it, but I use dair tons.

I noticed a FastFall(en/ed?) bair works pretty well for some reason against my friends when they're trying to recover, but it's probably because I don't use it too much. Play around with them, see what ends up working for you.

Kresent

Smash Cadet
I love his Fair. It's hitbox may be odd, but it's odd hitbox can do things like hit the opponent behind you if you hit them with the end of the attack. Great for getting them away from the ledge if they're camping it and you're on the edge.
It also can keep the opponent guessing.

I find myself using the Nair because I loved the Sex Kick, but I can't get any use out of DeDeDe's

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
i cant take this seriously, i read the first 2 parts about Fair and Dair and just said "**** whats up with this dude"

fair doesnt just hit in front, it hits above him, which fools alot of people who think theyre safe from it...it also doesnt have as much knockback as you think, its not a kill move unless you use it off the stage.
good for stringing together fair combos, unless theyre over 50%.

dair is ment for short hops, of course you dont fast fall because youd have lag.
what you do is- short hop dair, at the end of that your still airborne, then you jump + dair again...you can continuously jump & dair like a helicopter above your enemy...while they try to hit you with utilts & smashes, you fast fall inbetween their lag time mid dair & hit them with the end of it which sends them flying, or use a nair instead...
OY i cant explain it really but it works good, catches people off guard.

edit: canceling up b has use, if you run out of jumps, you use upb, get above the stage...the enemy thinks you will land because you didnt cancel the upb yet, but as they go to where you will fall, you cancel it and drift away from the stage to the ledge....if you want to be a ******* you could call this "mindgames"

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
i cant take this seriously, i read the first 2 parts about Fair and Dair and just said "**** whats up with this dude"

fair doesnt just hit in front, it hits above him, which fools alot of people who think theyre safe from it...it also doesnt have as much knockback as you think, its not a kill move unless you use it off the stage.
good for stringing together fair combos, unless theyre over 50%.

dair is ment for short hops, of course you dont fast fall because youd have lag.
what you do is- short hop dair, at the end of that your still airborne, then you jump + dair again...you can continuously jump & dair like a helicopter above your enemy...while they try to hit you with utilts & smashes, you fast fall inbetween their lag time mid dair & hit them with the end of it which sends them flying, or use a nair instead...
OY i cant explain it really but it works good, catches people off guard.

edit: canceling up b has use, if you run out of jumps, you use upb, get above the stage...the enemy thinks you will land because you didnt cancel the upb yet, but as they go to where you will fall, you cancel it and drift away from the stage to the ledge....if you want to be a ******* you could call this "mindgames"
Yeah the guy got somethings wrong, but that's why everyone else is here.

-The Fair hitbox, as I've pointed out, is a quarter circle from above him to infront of him.
-It's true that fair doesn't really kill THAT well. They normally have to be pretty close to the side of the stage at around %130 (depending on the character) or off the stage at around 100% or you string them together with a bunch of other Fairs to knock them further from the stage.
-I agree that Fair and Bair combos at low percentages is an important part of DDD's aerial game that definitely should be learned.
- SH dairs with no landing lag? (you implied no landing lag, because you said "at the end of that your still airborne, then you jump + dair again...") This is NOT true. Even if you sh and daif without ff at the earliest, you will STILL land with lag. You can do that hovering Dairs with full hops, but definitely not short hops. I wish it were true, too. (show me a vid if somehow you can actually do it)

jaaboy

Smash Cadet
whenever i dair someone and land, they always recover faster than me and hit me :(

yourmother

Smash Rookie
Alright sorry about the Fair hitbox mistake, it's higher than I thought. Also you notice I did say use Fair as a kill move "on edgeguards." But seriously, SHed Dair is pretty bad, still has the terrible landing lag if you don't FF it. Go try it. Also yeah the WOP style carrying Bairs was a huge oversight on my part. Also, I said "canceling up+b doesn't have use if you're not going to go for the ledge, to which you respond, no, you can cancel it and then go for the ledge. Seriously, read my post before you say I don't know what I'm talking about.

Choppah

Smash Rookie
I love using nair because D3 looks so **** happy (use it after beating an opponent as a taunt) :laugh:. But other than that, nair has good pop-up after a SHFF which can lead to multiple utilts. After utilts, you can run an early uair which has a chance to beat out sword users and pop-up after its final hit.

Dair is a great move for a tech chase against characters that you can't chain grab. This adds to your dthrow mix up which includes ftilt, dash attack, and fsmash. I believe that you can SH dair and finish animation before landing if you're hitting an opponent - with or without shielding. I don't have someone to retest it against, but I think that's what I've been doing lately. If I'm wrong, just do a full jump dair tech chase which definitely works. Dair is also good for pop-ups if you FF into your opponent with its final hit.

Fair is amazing for edge game which is abusable during your opponents invincibility after spawning. Hanging off the edge, give a slight drop and jump to fair your edgeguarding opponent in the face. You can do this multiple times with D3's float jumps and if you ever run out of jumps, just grab the edge again. If you do it quick enough, you can get onto the stage because of the added momentum of the hammer around 12 o'clock. This technique is also usable with all aerials (Clip the stage with uair, edgeguard with dair [but it pops up], and bair is interchangeable with fair depending on the situation). Fair also adds mix-ups for edgehoggers. If you fair them if they're hanging, there's a good chance you'll stage spike them, so they'll scramble for the stage. Either fair away and hope you'll knock them off once their invinciblity wears off or, if you have enough time and height, jump up onto the stage and bair them to start your own edgeguard.

Bair is pretty much D3's best move. It has so many applications and makes for quick pokes and KO's. At low percentages, dthrow them off the stage and FF a bair to start your WOP. D3's recovery is amazing, so there is no need to be scared of not making it back (remember to cancel your up+b at its apex). IMO, SHFF'd bair gives me a lot of landing lag. Instead, I bair twice before landing instead of FF'ing because 1. It catches my opponents off guard and 2. If you're going to FF it, you might as well get the landing lag that I mentioned earlier. But then again, you can always consecutive bair if you miss your first bair poke. Bair is also a good evasive move. If your opponent is quick, you can run away if they chase, and bair with c-stick while you jump away. Another use of bair is a quick stage spike. If your opponent is hanging off the edge and you're on the stage, you can run off and bair them into the stage (c-stick for added ease).

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
Yeah the guy got somethings wrong, but that's why everyone else is here.

-The Fair hitbox, as I've pointed out, is a quarter circle from above him to infront of him.
-It's true that fair doesn't really kill THAT well. They normally have to be pretty close to the side of the stage at around %130 (depending on the character) or off the stage at around 100% or you string them together with a bunch of other Fairs to knock them further from the stage.
-I agree that Fair and Bair combos at low percentages is an important part of DDD's aerial game that definitely should be learned.
- SH dairs with no landing lag? (you implied no landing lag, because you said "at the end of that your still airborne, then you jump + dair again...") This is NOT true. Even if you sh and daif without ff at the earliest, you will STILL land with lag. You can do that hovering Dairs with full hops, but definitely not short hops. I wish it were true, too. (show me a vid if somehow you can actually do it)

no no, since ddd has multiple jumps you jump before you land, you can just hover in mid air with dair, thats where the bad analogy of a helicopter came in

edit:yourmother you can cancel upb to land in a different part of the stage where the normal upb wouldnt land, the enemy would have their shields up trying to avoid the after effect of upB, but this all depends whos facing who i guess

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
Alright sorry about the Fair hitbox mistake, it's higher than I thought. Also you notice I did say use Fair as a kill move "on edgeguards." But seriously, SHed Dair is pretty bad, still has the terrible landing lag if you don't FF it. Go try it. Also yeah the WOP style carrying Bairs was a huge oversight on my part. Also, I said "canceling up+b doesn't have use if you're not going to go for the ledge, to which you respond, no, you can cancel it and then go for the ledge. Seriously, read my post before you say I don't know what I'm talking about.
About canceling up+b, I still think that even if you aren't going for the ledge. Sometimes it is better to cancel up+b when recovering because you can FF it, the recovery is noticeably faster than just landing it normally, and it's less predictable because you can control the trajectory. Seriously though, you might be able to catch a few inexperienced people, but once people have seen his up+b recovery a few times and they're ledge gaurding you and you up+b to get back onto the stage without canceling it, you'll be much more likely to be punished than if you cancel it.

no no, since ddd has multiple jumps you jump before you land, you can just hover in mid air with dair, thats where the bad analogy of a helicopter came in
So you're not saying you can short hop with dair and hover it right? Cause that's can't happen. I don't think you can even full hop dair and jump again.

Also about just hovering dair from a possible height, I've had problem controlling the vertical distance so that I can make it a viable technique. Dair lasts so long that you kinda fall. Any ideas for how to practice hovering Dair and being able to hit standing opponents with it would be appreciated.

Infectedpo

Smash Rookie
When considering DDD's air game, let's include his inhale move. Landing in front of your opponent just as you start using inhale can shatter an opponent's rhythm.

Also, inhale is effective as an anti-edge guard against opponents who wait for you to return to the stage.

yourmother

Smash Rookie
Yeah good point, the neutral B is a great way to end a losing life if someone's trying to edge guard you. Even forward-b can be useful for edge guard disruptions if they're at a pretty high percentage and you have a jump or two left. Still looking for a way to use the down-b though :-(

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Inhale still seems very underrated, I don't see too many Dedede's using it effectively.

DownB is great for mindgames, or when opponents try to land on the stage. Sometimes your opponent will panic and either run away, or try to hit you quickly.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
Inhale still seems very underrated, I don't see too many Dedede's using it effectively.

DownB is great for mindgames, or when opponents try to land on the stage. Sometimes your opponent will panic and either run away, or try to hit you quickly.

very true

ive seen very few ddd's using inhale or down b

inhale cancles alot of attacks and has huge range

down b does not deal damage past 150%

also down b has the recently discovered "swd" ability with the run glitch

USE THEM!

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Yeah good point, the neutral B is a great way to end a losing life if someone's trying to edge guard you. Even forward-b can be useful for edge guard disruptions if they're at a pretty high percentage and you have a jump or two left. Still looking for a way to use the down-b though :-(
Forward-b is actually amazing for recovering, it gives the opponent much less room to try to edgeguard you. Just don't forward-b after you start fastfalling unless you're really high in the air, this is my #1 cause of SD's :ohwell:. As a few other people have touched on - landing with an Inhale is one of DDD's best mindgames, especially after your opponent has learned your aerial patterns.

yourmother

Smash Rookie
Well the hammer dashing ability is pretty hard to pull off consistently, and even then it has a huge charge-up time due to the fact that you have to charge it all the way up, so it's not really that viable yet, although who knows in the future. Mind games are cool and all, but the range is really small too, I really wish I could use it more but it just never seems to work out.

But yeah inhale is great, I've seen it used to double-kill in amazing ways on recovery, and it definitely just doesn't get used enough over all.

Top Bottom