• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dedede Secondary

shlemon

Smash Rookie
So we all know D3 has some tough MUs. In particular rosalina, ZSS, duck hunt, regular samus, yoshi, diddy, link and megaman. Really, D3 struggles with any character that has a strong camping or projectile game.

It's bad enough that I feel D3 mains really require a strong secondary to take care of these harder MUs. My first thought is Pac Man because:
1) He has a strong projectile, camping and zoning game,
2) He has solid approach options,
3) He has good MUs vs rosalina and ZSS, both of which will likely show up in tournaments.
4) And he's medium-slow so it's not a huge change from D3
I'm not sure how he does against D3's other bad MUs.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

T4ylor

Smash Journeyman
Having played very good Rosalina players, I'm going to have to say the MU seems relatively even. Anyway, objectively speaking, I don't see why a D3 player wouldn't pick up Rosalina as a secondary. She has great MUs against all of the projectile characters that give D3 a hard time and is good enough to rely on when you are not sure if/how they will CP D3.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Having played very good Rosalina players, I'm going to have to say the MU seems relatively even. Anyway, objectively speaking, I don't see why a D3 player wouldn't pick up Rosalina as a secondary. She has great MUs against all of the projectile characters that give D3 a hard time and is good enough to rely on when you are not sure if/how they will CP D3.
Isn't Rosalina very mechanical for a secondary though? Then there's the fact pretty much EVERY character hates to play against her (check out her forums and just look at all the asking for help threads). This means that with their main against your secondary, this is definitely a matchup they'll have looked into, and they'll usually know better than you unless you spend a LOT of time on her. In this case you're gonna be better off having Dedede as a secondary, which doesn't make a lot of sense anymore. I'd rather prefer having a low skill ceiling secondary, though I can't really suggest anyone. I like Palutena against strong campers, but if you're looking for wins better play someone else honestly as she's in a bit of a bad spot right now. Though I guess she relies on reactive play, keeping your opponent out, and dthrow shenannigans, so at least there's that similarity to Dedede.

How's ROB in this game? I haven't touched him at all, nor have I played against a lot of them. His side-b seems really useful now, and he has a nice projectile of his own, maybe he can keep projectile spammers at bay? And he's similar enough to Dedede in terms of weight and speed as far as I know, but that's just my (very) uninformed opinion. :drshrug:

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
How's ROB in this game? I haven't touched him at all, nor have I played against a lot of them. His side-b seems really useful now, and he has a nice projectile of his own, maybe he can keep projectile spammers at bay? And he's similar enough to Dedede in terms of weight and speed as far as I know, but that's just my (very) uninformed opinion. :drshrug:
ROB is my secondary to Dedes. Everything you said is very accurate. His side-B not only lasts a lot longer but reflects minor projectiles, and ends with a very satisfying knockback.

He doesn't necessarily erase the projectile spammer problem, but he is much better at countering against them than Dedede.

If you have anymore questions, let me know.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I actually did pick up ROB to support my Dedede. ROB is good against many characters with projectiles due to Lasers being quick and having transcendent priority. ROB also has a quick, safe, close-quarters aerial. Something Dedede lacks.
Just based on my experience, I do feel ROB compliments Dedede rather nicely. Though, there's probably better alternatives. I just picked ROB specifically since I like playing as him.

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
There is MUCH more to ROBs forward B than that. In my own personal experience, it seems to have super armor in at least some of the frames. I say this because I've forward B'd into counters from most of the counter-capable characters and they ninja'd themselves right into ROBs cold, soulless arms. Ended up sending them flying. If I know I'm facing a counter happy opponent, it's either grab city with KD3 or ROB if I'm in the mood to surprise them.

The one way I've noticed that a projectile will still hit Rob is on the top of his head. This is probably why Yoshi Eggs still damage him on Impact, due to their blast radius. To avoid most projectiles hitting during a forward B, I'll usually slow my approach so as not to angle his head too low.

The Counter pick I'm trying to find is the one character I really have a lot of trouble playing against... Ness...

ccthirteen

Smash Apprentice
After playing a good bit last night, I was really enjoying playing Mario and Greninja. Felt like I wouldn't mind making either of them my secondary.

Reverbo

Smash Rookie
I feel like yoshi is the perfect candidate for a D3 secondary. D3s toughest matchups are campy characters such as link or duck hunt because he has such slow mobility in the air and has a hard time closing distance. The nice thing about yoshi is that he is super floaty, and he can alter his movement in the air by throwing eggs. he really is great at hopping over annoying projectile users and getting in their face. He also has a similar neutral B, so approaching from the air with a tongue/inhale are somewhat similar.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I do fine with ROB, Mii Brawler, Shulk, and Link as my secondaries. However, I'd have to say the best secondary to have for Dedede would be ROB if you play more aggressively or any rushdown character (Falcon, brawler, ZSS, etc) if you play more defensively, as they offer polar opposite playstyles.

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
It seems like just about every Dedede has a pocket ROB at this point, and he's a solid secondary as he covers most of our bad MU's. That said, I've been playing around with Sheik, Pit, and Luigi as well, and they seem to be solid secondaries as well. If you're looking for secondary chars, I'd pick up ROB and one or two others you enjoy. Go on FG a bit and fool around with every character for at least a few matches. Pick who you like after that, if any. But yeah, everyone here could probably benefit from picking up ROB at the very least.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I use Sonic and Zelda as secondaries. Not so sure about MUs because I play D3 so good compared to any other character that I'd rather use him against hard match ups than attempt to change my character.
If I ever wanted to play something to contrarrest Dedede's weaknesses. I guess anything that has a great ground game and can deal against projectile spammers.

Top Bottom