• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Declone Toon Link?

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I'd focus on the specials mostly. They are arguably the biggest thing to help characters feel unique.
They must all be in a Toon Link game!

Up Special: Hurricane Spin (Wind Waker)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNXh6WwOJwk&t=0m52s
Almost the same in form. Functionally chargeable though like in many of the games. Weaker than Link's until charged more. Multi-hit.
If fully charged he does it very high powered, spinning left and right while he screams. At the end he tires out for a second (in Wind Waker, not seen in this video).

Special: Slingshot (Four Swords Adventures)
-Chargeable like the bow. It's lower range and damage than the bow. However it's got a stunning effect that can interrupt many kinds of attacks. Charge it longer to shoot 3 shots at once that spread out making them more difficult to dodge.

Side Special: Sandwand (Spirit Tracks)
-The game changer! Summon a wall of sand in front of link. Charge it to increase the range (nothing else). The area it's in range of will be signaled by a small sandy dust effect going along the ground. REQUIRES ground. Can only erupt from the ground but you can charge it in the air as long as when it's released you're on the ground (otherwise nothing will happen). If the ground for any reason is made gone the sand wall immediately collapses into nothing.
The sand wall lasts several seconds or until it is destroyed or until Toon Link creates another one. This sand wall will act both offensively and defensively. If you make it rise from under a player that player will get moderate damage and be knocked upwards, or sideways if it glances them. The sand wall is thick enough so that players can stand on top of it and strong enough to survive several blows though really powerful attacks will destroy it.
When it's summoned on the edge of a ledge it doesn't quite reach the edge so other players can still grapple. Though they'll have to hop up over the sand wall (or grapple it) since there's not enough room to stand.

Down Special: Bombchu (Phantom Hourglass)
-Yup. Just a bomb that crawls and floors, walls and ceilings! Probably not tossable but just placeable. These seem to be an unrelated item currently. Oh well.

Grab: Whip (Spirit Tracks)
-Similar to the hookshot. Does more damage on impact than the hookshot (don't remember if that even does any before the throw!). Is quicker than the Hookshot. Has a bit less range and the actual throws Link does are a bit less damaging and have less knockback.

After that I'm not sure why you couldn't stick in more items as basic attacks like With Mega Man. Like a Hammer Smash attack. Or an air down spike involving putting on the Iron Boots and just falling onto players :p. Stuff like that.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Like in project M his sword attacks would resemble wind waker over links more twilight princessey looking attacks

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Toon Link is getting less cloney this time due the changes being made to Link instead.

For example, Link has a new dash attack, and his up air animation is different too.

If Toon Link remains virtually unchanged, he will still be less of a clone.

Considering Toon Link was quite decent tier wise, while Link was awful, this may very well be the right way to go.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Agreed, when you think about it. It's Link who really needs the most work done on his moveset. But I guess both could use some freshening up here and there.

Although I would still like to see Toon Link receive the Hurricane Spin and the Fire and Ice Arrows though. Perhaps he might get those in the moveset costumization thing. It would also be neat if he gets the ability to crawl.

Also, Toon Link seems to have gained at least one change though.

He seems to have got a new aerial front smash attack. At least I don't recall him performing this animation in Brawl....

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I love Link and Toon Link...but I was happy when we got that image of the Spirit Tracks stage with Toon Link on it and we all thought he was deconfirmed...we only need one Link unless he's truly decloned...there are so many items from Toon Link's games they can use...-.-

Ryan.

Smash Lord
They could change up some of his specials, involving things from Wind Waker (Deku Leaf, Fire & Ice Arrows, Skull Hammer, etc.). I think it would be cool to have him very different from Link, although he uses his bombs, regular arrows, and boomerang quite a bit in Wind Waker, so they also make sense. Also it would be cool if he had his Mirror Shield he gets from the Earth Temple, but that wouldn't effect his move-set.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Toon Link may be a clone but he plays different enough to differentiate him from regular Link. No need to fix what ain't broken.

If a roster is big and diverse enough then I'm sure it can survive having at least one clone character. A lot of other fighting games have had that in the past but when Smash does it, suddenly it's considered a capital sin.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Toon Link may be a clone but he plays different enough to differentiate him from regular Link. No need to fix what ain't broken.

If a roster is big and diverse enough then I'm sure it can survive having at least one clone character. A lot of other fighting games have had that in the past but when Smash does it, suddenly it's considered a capital sin.
Yes other games do it and even then people complain about it, every character should be somewhat unique

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yes other games do it and even then people complain about it, every character should be somewhat unique
And that's the thing, even clone characters can feel unique and different from their counterparts. Isn't bringing a different playstyle what matters the most? Toon Link and Link do not feel the same way when playing.

Besides, people complaining about everything and/or nothing of rosters is not new. Some people were mad when Megaman was revealed.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
And that's the thing, even clone characters can feel unique and different from their counterparts. Isn't bringing a different playstyle what matters the most? Toon Link and Link do not feel the same way when playing.

Besides, people complaining about everything and/or nothing of rosters is not new. Some people were mad when Megaman was revealed.
Who was mad at mega man?
They must have something wrong in the head and while link and toon link play slightly different they still feel really similar and unlike other characters like falco or wolf, toon link has so much he could do, changing his sword attacks to feel more like WW would make him feel different while keeping the same general playstyle and specials

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, I feel like Link should really be the one to get the most changes, his moveset hasn't really been working out for him since the beginning.

Though I wouldn't mind Toon Link receiving the Hurricane Spin attack at least, but I have the feeling that will be a part of his costumizable moveset.

Though Toon Link does indeed feel very diverse from Link anyway, even as a clone. Though as Fall said, even if Link gets most of the changes, that will still make Toon Link less of a clone from him even if he didn't get very many changes.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Make his hookshot better, as in faster and with greater reach. Add fire and ice arrows as custom moves. Give him that snake whip for his side special or grab.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I actually dont understand smashboard people at all, i create a post talking about how Ganondorf clone moveset of Captain Falcon is not representative and should be changed, and i get a lot of negative comments, And then we can see people complaining about "Toon" Link being a clone of Link.
Seriously?
It's because Ganon is like the most fun and satisfying character in the game(at least in Melee and Project M).

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I would have given him skullhammer, bombchu, mirror shield, and bowow final smash

Top Bottom