• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Declone Toon Link?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I think he has always been different enough from Link, but I'll have a go with his Specials.

I think they should all stay the same, but here's something to differentiate them:

T. Link's arrows will be Fire/Ice Arrows, maybe?
The Boomerang I wish could be taken out altogether, but probably not. If so, then I would want the skull hammer added in for T. Link.
I think the Spin Attacks are fine to have for both Link and T. Link.
Link's bombs should have more power/knockback, while T. Link's should be rapid/sporadic. Also, if you press B as Link while holding a bomb: Bomb Arrow.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I wish they took more inspiration from actual Toon Link games...

O Dog

Smash Cadet
NNID
orionbc84
3DS FC
1521-2681-9055
I think he has always been different enough from Link, but I'll have a go with his Specials.

I think they should all stay the same, but here's something to differentiate them:

The Boomerang I wish could be taken out altogether, but probably not. If so, then I would want the skull hammer added in for T. Link.
Link's bombs should have more power/knockback, while T. Link's should be rapid/sporadic. Also, if you press B as Link while holding a bomb: Bomb Arrow.
Love the bomb arrow idea.

O Dog

Smash Cadet
NNID
orionbc84
3DS FC
1521-2681-9055
He can have the spin attack, but only on the ground, and make it the Hurricane Spin like they have in Project M. If Up B is triggered as a recovery, make it the Deku Leaf. Also, his Final Smash can involve him getting on the King of Red Lions and mowing down everyone across the map.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
How exactly would a boat "mow everyone down"? And bomb arrows originated in Twilight Princess, did they not?

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936

I like the idea of the specials being the same but working somewhat differently. Here's my try:

Toon Link can use Fire and Ice arrows, the Boomerang is unique because it does not have the gale effect, the Spin Attack could turn into the Hurricane Spin when fully charged, but only in the ground, and the bombs... I don't know. His Final Smash should be 100% different. He could summon a tornado with the Wind Waker.

D

Deleted member

I actually made a moveset for a decloned Toon Link on GameFAQS a few days ago-I won't post the entire moveset, but basically: turn his AAA combos and tilts into the sword combos in Wind Waker, give him the enemy pickup weapons, some stuff like the Skull Hammer and even Phantom Ganon's sword for Smashes, have him use the Grappling Hook/Hookshot for his throws, keep his specials mostly the same but alter them slightly (only one I straight up took out was the bombs, which I made into a Smash attack), and give him the Wind Waker itself for a Final Smash.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I actually dont understand smashboard people at all, i create a post talking about how Ganondorf clone moveset of Captain Falcon is not representative and should be changed, and i get a lot of negative comments, And then we can see people complaining about "Toon" Link being a clone of Link.
Seriously?

Dr Hiram Temple

Smash Rookie
How exactly would a boat "mow everyone down"? And bomb arrows originated in Twilight Princess, did they not?
Bomb Arrows actually originated in Link's Awakening. Well, they might have been in The Adventure of Link, but I still can't get through that game.

D

Deleted member

Neutral Special: Ice/Fire Arrows- It's Toon Link's old neutral special, but an ice or fire element is added. I think that it would be fire personally since Young Link had Fire Arrows.

Side Special: Deku Leaf- On the ground, Toon Link will shoot out a burst of wind. A projectile will be fired that would cause a little bit of damage (around 4%), but can push foes away. It can be useful for edge-guarding. In the air, holding down the special move button will allow Toon link to float in the air, though this can happen for a short amount of time and it doesn't give Toon Link any added height.

Down Special: Skull Hammer- Toon Link will bring out his Skull Hammer and cause a lot of damage and knockback when landed. Toon Link can also cause a little bit of damage while swinging his hammer back, but this damage is very minimal. Toon Link would have super armor during this attack and won't have it until it ends. However, it's very situational and it will leave Toon Link wide open for an opponent to attack.

Up Special: Spin Attack- It has the same properties in Brawl. However, Toon Link can have the Hurricane Spin, but only on the ground. When Toon Link flashes orange, he will release a high damage dealing attack and the knockback caused could make it a useful KO move. Toon Link can also move during this spin. However, this will leave Toon Link wide open for an attack as he will tire out. The reason why I didn't make the Deku Leaf his up special is because the Spin Attack is one of Link's most iconic moves.

Grab: Grappling Hook- Toon Link will spin the rope and then grab an opponent with the Grappling Hook. It's not much different from the Hookshot, but it's mostly an aesthetic change. Toon Link can also preform a tether recovery with it as well.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
The Deku Leaf as an Up B would be sweet.
On the ground, it would knock people backwards with a gust, similar to F.L.U.D.D. and in air, it could send him up as if he's catching a draft, then slowly float down while still being able to launch air attacks.
And the Skull hammer, yeah.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Maybe changing his hookshot grab to that snake whip from ST? That'll be great. also, loving that deku leaf idea.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually dont understand smashboard people at all, i create a post talking about how Ganondorf clone moveset of Captain Falcon is not representative and should be changed, and i get a lot of negative comments, And then we can see people complaining about "Toon" Link being a clone of Link.
Seriously?
People are stupid.

But also charming. :awesome:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Seriously?
Yeah... This mentality is a indeed a bit iffy. Especially when people seem to push for Black Shadow to come along only to "inherit" Ganondorf's old moveset so he can be unique while still having access to his cloned moveset through another character.:rolleyes:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Neutral Special: Ice/Fire Arrows- It's Toon Link's old neutral special, but an ice or fire element is added. I think that it would be fire personally since Young Link had Fire Arrows.

Side Special: Deku Leaf- On the ground, Toon Link will shoot out a burst of wind. A projectile will be fired that would cause a little bit of damage (around 4%), but can push foes away. It can be useful for edge-guarding. In the air, holding down the special move button will allow Toon link to float in the air, though this can happen for a short amount of time and it doesn't give Toon Link any added height.

Down Special: Skull Hammer- Toon Link will bring out his Skull Hammer and cause a lot of damage and knockback when landed. Toon Link can also cause a little bit of damage while swinging his hammer back, but this damage is very minimal. Toon Link would have super armor during this attack and won't have it until it ends. However, it's very situational and it will leave Toon Link wide open for an opponent to attack.

Up Special: Spin Attack- It has the same properties in Brawl. However, Toon Link can have the Hurricane Spin, but only on the ground. When Toon Link flashes orange, he will release a high damage dealing attack and the knockback caused could make it a useful KO move. Toon Link can also move during this spin. However, this will leave Toon Link wide open for an attack as he will tire out. The reason why I didn't make the Deku Leaf his up special is because the Spin Attack is one of Link's most iconic moves.

Grab: Grappling Hook- Toon Link will spin the rope and then grab an opponent with the Grappling Hook. It's not much different from the Hookshot, but it's mostly an aesthetic change. Toon Link can also preform a tether recovery with it as well.
This is cool, but bombs have been confirmed as his down special. I would make the Skull Hammer his side special, since it is the only one that is not confirmed.

D

Deleted member

This is cool, but bombs have been confirmed as his down special. I would make the Skull Hammer his side special, since it is the only one that is not confirmed.
I know that the bombs have been confirmed already; I'm just acting as if they weren't so that he can have different specials.

I think that either the Skull Hammer or Deku Leaf would be a suitable side special though.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be neat if he used the Great spin attack/Hurricane spin if you charge Up+B for long enough (like in Wind Waker), or if you use it 3 times in a row (like in Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks). You would have the ability to move around during this, and would be stunned for ≈3 seconds afterwards so that it isn't abused.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I have a few ideas. Change his normal arrows with either the Fire Arrows or the Ice Arrows. Swap his Forward Smash and Down Smash with the Skull Hammer, Forward Smash does the horizontal strike, and Down Smash does the slam. Change his Down Air to the Iron Boots.(Think of it as a weaker Ground Pound that Yoshi and Bowser have.)

While in the air, if you hold down any of the Jump buttons, he can glide slowly with the Deku Leaf, but Toon Link can't control his movement as well as Pit or Charizard would during their glides.

Did any version of Toon Link ever use the Pegasus Boots? They are fairly common in Zelda, and are mostly used by younger versions of Link. So maybe it wouldn't be too far out their to use them as his Side-B.

And of course, having him summon a Tornado as a Final Smash would be pretty awesome.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Maybe the Deku Leaf could be incorporated in his double jump?

Give TL a pseudo glide, or slow fall...

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Don't think it matters much, because TL is still looking to be the same semi-clone he was in Brawl. There's a lot of potential to make him different, but Sakurai decided not to for some reason. Doesn't give me too high of hopes for a unique Ganon, but I suppose its only fair to wait and see how new TL plays out.

sammyboinas

Smash Rookie
Hey sup people!!!

After the release of Zelda, I've been thinking a lot about the Phantom, and I read so many analysis, someone say that is an assist and other says that is from Zelda moveset.... well what if is neither of that, and maybe is a new move of Toon Link. I mean they only shown the spin attack, bow and bombs, and in the Rosalina trailer Toon Link just taunt... so I guess Sakurai is hidding us a new completly moveset of Toon Link, and maybe he is a dual character, maybe he can switch to Toon Zelda!!!
This will explain why Sakurai decided to put again another clon in the game.... because he isn't a clon anymore
What do you think?

[/IMG]

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Who knows, even if he's a clone I still love having him in but I personally would like to see him using the skull hammer as a forward special, that would be cool.
And that move is the pose he does before the forward smash.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
How bout keep tlink the way he is, and give link a whole new moveset.

I just want the Deku Leaf in there somewhere. I can live with none of his other specials being from the plethora of original weapons he has that would be great in Smash, but the Deku Leaf is the first thing I think of when I see Toon Link. Him not having it is a crying shame.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not so sure about the Deku Leaf to be honest, sounds like an a way to nerve him, especially since people tend to ask for it to merely blow your opponents away (so in other words, like Mario's F.L.U.D.D. which many disliked). I guess I wouldn't mind it if he could take it out after he has performed his mid air spin attack like Peach and Mr.Game & Watch can... :/

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
The Deku leaf could be like Mr. Game & Watch's up special. I do like the idea of Toon Link having ice arrows and the skull hammer. I'm pretty sure he will still remain as a semi-clone though.

If it were up to me:

FSmash = Skull Hammer (Like King Dedede's FSmash)

UpB = Deku Leaf (Like GaW's UpB)
-or if it's not a Deku Leaf-
Grounded UpB = Hurricane Spin (Just like in Brawl mods)

Neutral B = Arrows (But more like Pit's where you can angle them)

Up Taunt = Up Taunt (Actually produces a gust of wind this time though)

Miss Fit

Smash Rookie
There are lots of cool ways to make Toon Link unique.

I'd change his Smash attack animations and way the way they function to match the things Link does in the same. Like in Project M.

The fire element would return to his arrows with ice added. It would randomly change.

He would bring out the Deku Leaf after using his Up B in the air and hover down like G&W.

Instead of using a boomerang he uses the Skull Hammer as his side B.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588

Gust Jar: Could work as a command grab sucking up enemies and launching them as well as a projectile that shoots a gust of wind.

Then Toon Link's hookshot grab wouldn't be as horrible! And maybe he could use it to land!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd like to see his final smash involve the king of red lions.

The king of red lions could appear, toon link would hop in and use his wind waker to summon a storm underneath the boat by playing the ballad of gales. You could control the boat and anyone caught underneath would be damaged and tossed around by the storm.

Top Bottom