• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Decently Early Kill String for Falco: Dtilt > RAR Uair > Bair

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
So I noticed in the DMG Teamtage video that Cyro Cyro went for Down Tilt > RAR Up Air > Bair and it made me want to mess around with it. The string kills at some pretty early percents from a decent distance into the stage. It honestly made me realize how good the reverse hit of Up Air to Bair is as a kill confirm for Falco.

Here's a Google Doc with percentages for the entire roster and some averages based on weight classes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rm9r_rIP94XVkYGQYE842x5-APL1ZolnVOH2jD7gGmU/edit?usp=sharing

From my experience this does seem to be a decently true combo/string. I don't get it to true combo all the time but I'm also not amazing at buffering inputs yet.

AviaRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
robobondi
This looks sweet, gonna lab the hell outta this when I get the time tonight.

Finally having a semi-consistent kill setup would be amazing.
The only similar thing I've ever found is that on some characters, around 0-30% depending on weight and fall speed, you can get dthrow -> Sweetspot dair. The spike isn't enough to kill but it sets up for an easy stage spike (from a jump read) or fair semi spike (from an up-b trade) if you are close enough to the ledge that the combo sends them down off stage.

Will edit this post with any other information I can add once I've labbed it.

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
I can't seem to accomplish this in training mode, is this aided if they di back to the stage or am I just bad at this string
It can take a bit to get used to the buffering for the string. I still don't have it 100% honestly to always make it a combo in training. Other then timing the other thing is the actual hitbox on Down Tilt that you're getting. For most characters the 11% middle hitbox works and on other characters you have to do the 9% tip hitbox. I think the 9% can be used at higher percents on those who you'd normally do the middle hitbox on.

SilverQuik24

Smash Rookie
NNID
Silverquik24
It can take a bit to get used to the buffering for the string. I still don't have it 100% honestly to always make it a combo in training. Other then timing the other thing is the actual hitbox on Down Tilt that you're getting. For most characters the 11% middle hitbox works and on other characters you have to do the 9% tip hitbox. I think the 9% can be used at higher percents on those who you'd normally do the middle hitbox on.
Wdym buffering. I'm not at all sure what that means. I get the uair to connect but the bair is just outside my range. Also, I've labbed 11% dtilt->non RAR uair and it seems to then true combo into any aerial as of 1.1.3 at ~70%

Last edited:

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
In Smash for there's I believe a 3 frame window after you input an action that you can buffer the next input (this explanation is probably off as I'm still working on this myself).

And the Bair is just off as after the reverse hit of Up Air you have to do Jump Bair at the percents listed.

Greasy and toobs

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post: Double Posting
Im new to this smashboards thang but i got it to true combo. I've seen no one post instructions in layman's terms lol so I'll give it a shot. Forgive me in advance for being a pleb.
-First you gotta fulfill certain conditions as in being next to the opponent. Using down special and getting the trip. I replicated this with ZSS AT 67%
-secondly if you fulfill the conditions above IMMEDIATELY down tilt
-then dash and follow up with a reverse (pivot) FULL hop up air (this part is tricky since i noticed that depending on how up air hits will determine if you can connect back air to true combo) if you hit her with the inner hitbox of up air angled toward her(keep in mind Falco is pivoted and should be facing away from her,as in looking opposite of her) You can connect the second jump to back air. There are plenty of options besides up air to back air. Like 2 consecutive up airs or if you failed to pivot up air and are facing her you can connect forward air, i know this true combos since forward air in the AIR is 6 hits and grounded 7 but it came out as 7 when executed correctly with up air.

I hope this helps i wish i can record my training session to show here but i have no means of being able to do so. IMO this is truly beautiful and dangerously situational since i got punish by the cpu by not connecting back air and got sent to oblivion with zss up special. Keep in mind this is all in training with no di. I will post here when i land it in for glory. Forgive me if the was already posted, i just didnt understand all dat smash patois like "buffering inputs" etc. All i know is that i did it and cried when it true combos up air to back air.

To add on with what I originally posted, I executed the combo on ZSS at 67%-74% and the last 2 hits (u-air and b-air) do true combo but as % increases knockback, the angle at which u-air needs to connect to true combo moves towards the center of the hitbox. To me IMO this makes it a bit easier to land. Currently I'm practicing this on some favorable matchups for falco, will keep updating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machii

Smash Apprentice
First I want to say that Cyro has skills, that string isn't easy to pull off.
Second I want to say that his opponent seemed as though they weren't even holding their controller. That is an awesome combo but I doubt anyone will ever find a decent opponent that lets that happen.

Birdman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Naysayerr
Well uhm... those three moves CAN true combo into each other. If so, the opponent can only DI the Bair, I think (I don't know to what extent the Dtilt can be DI'd but it should be fairly little). As for the setup: you can do a Dtilt as a follow up after Jab 1 or 2. Starting the string with a frame 2 move isn't all that bad (although I haven't tested that long string). Starting with a reflector is probably not the best and safest way to do it. The title of the thread doesn't include reflector anyway.

I have a question regarding the buffering. I never really used buffered moves at all and I struggle the most with the RAR Uair. It never true combos with the Dtilt, if I don't accidently do a normal Uair anyway.
After you input the Dtilt you IMMEDIATELY input the dash right? I somehow cannot do that consistently. I thought about doing perfect pivots afterwards, it seems to work better than a dash and RAR Uair, but sometimes I am not close enough to the opponent to connect the move. I would highly appreciate if someone could explain this very explicitly. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Cyro

Airborne
Well uhm... those three moves CAN true combo into each other. If so, the opponent can only DI the Bair, I think (I don't know to what extent the Dtilt can be DI'd but it should be fairly little). As for the setup: you can do a Dtilt as a follow up after Jab 1 or 2. Starting the string with a frame 2 move isn't all that bad (although I haven't tested that long string). Starting with a reflector is probably not the best and safest way to do it. The title of the thread doesn't include reflector anyway.

I have a question regarding the buffering. I never really used buffered moves at all and I struggle the most with the RAR Uair. It never true combos with the Dtilt, if I don't accidently do a normal Uair anyway.
After you input the Dtilt you IMMEDIATELY input the dash right? I somehow cannot do that consistently. I thought about doing perfect pivots afterwards, it seems to work better than a dash and RAR Uair, but sometimes I am not close enough to the opponent to connect the move. I would highly appreciate if someone could explain this very explicitly. Thanks in advance!
I normally dash. What I'd imagine is your Uair isn't coming out in time. The way I hold my controller is with the clawgrip position (meaning I jump by pressing "Y" with the side of my index finger). This way my thumb is free to flick the c-stick up just a couple frames after I input my jump.
Basically, I hold it like this. It takes some time to get used to, but it's a lot easier than doing it the normal way.
I only hold like this when I want to buffer something out of a jump, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom