• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Death penalty [mature content]

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
I am for it, because they can deserve it, Imagine them killing a nine year old, which was your sister, or niece, or also daughter, would you want the other person to pay and punish?
Yes, yes I would. However, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. "An eye for an eye" has been proven ineffective at best, and is unethical.
Besides, if you want the person to be punished, do you believe a quick painless death is the worst thing they can recieve. How about living the rest of their lives, imprisoned and regretting, so deeply sorry they did what they did.

1337marth

Smash Ace
Yes, yes I would. However, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. "An eye for an eye" has been proven ineffective at best, and is unethical.
Besides, if you want the person to be punished, do you believe a quick painless death is the worst thing they can recieve. How about living the rest of their lives, imprisoned and regretting, so deeply sorry they did what they did.
True, true, but mostly the death penalty is for the ones who has a premeditated murder. Which is in most first degree counts. I think it should, because there fault, there punishment

Sandy

Smash Champion
The death penalty is completely necessary. It has many purposes, all of which are entirely legitimate.

First, it acts as a deterrent to prevent others from committing similar acts of violence. This has not been proven to be effective, but when you think about it, how can it not work? It's easier for someone to kill if they know that their life will be spared. If they know that the punishment will be as harsh as the action, then they will most likely think twice about what they're doing.

Second, it saves the government a HELL of a lot of money that could be used in other beneficial causes such as subsidies, health care, education, or even to give money straight back to the people of the country. I mean, come on, these hardened criminals are being treated like queen's for taking the life of another.

Third, I agree with the theory of "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth." If those *******s can give it they can certainly take it too. I know that if it was me who lost a family member to a murderous scumbag then the last thing I'd want to see is them being pardoned and forgiven.

All in all, bloodthirsty mother ****er's don't deserve to enjoy living when honest individuals die everyday from accidents and disasters.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The death penalty is completely necessary. It has many purposes, all of which are entirely legitimate.

First, it acts as a deterrent to prevent others from committing similar acts of violence. This has not been proven to be effective,
I love how you follow up the complete confidence of your first sentence with "it has not been proven to be effective". Awesome.
but when you think about it, how can it not work? It's easier for someone to kill if they know that their life will be spared. If they know that the punishment will be as harsh as the action, then they will most likely think twice about what they're doing.
On the other hand, if you have committed a crime that already carries a capital sentence, then what reason do you have to not commit even more crime? If you'll get the death penalty, then you have no reason not to go to any measure to prevent arrest. In other words, the death penalty encourages violent cover ups and police shoot outs and so forth.

Additionally, many murders are committed in the heat of the moment, when people are precisely not considering the consequences of their actions. The death penalty is not on someone's mind when they walk in on their spouse cheating. It doesn't deter crimes of passion much.
Second, it saves the government a HELL of a lot of money that could be used in other beneficial causes such as subsidies, health care, education, or even to give money straight back to the people of the country.
We spend more money on criminals that have been sentenced to death, actually.

I suppose you would like to do away with things such as due process in the name of making it more cost efficient tho.
I mean, come on, these hardened criminals are being treated like queen's for taking the life of another.
If that's so why don't you go to prison and see how you like it. Your hyperbole is unconvincing.
Third, I agree with the theory of "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."
We're better than the criminals, aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom