• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with the Fox MU

What are good strategies against Fox?

• approach ideas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I feel like Fox is the worst MU for Jigglypuff because of many reasons. He's quick, hard to hit, can spam, and Jiggs can't really escape out of combos with this one. (Fox does a one-two-three hit thing where it's all about hitting where your opponent goes.) He's also a better spacey, and can get grabs easier. This MU is especially difficult at high level play. Does anyone have any good strategies?

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
My approach to almost all characters is looking for an opportunity for pound, than follow with a combo to the end of the stage. Doesn't really work for Fox. I also usually do a defensive style of play and then follow with a grab to combo, but Fox can just spam lasers and Jiggs is too slow in those options against him, so he could still do something.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
fox is a very difficult mu for jiggs yes, but one thing you can do is learn to poke. fair while retreating instead of pound, it's a lot safer. repeat it several times to try to bait out a punish and if you can help it, don't land unsafely because a good fox will take that opportunity to punish with a dash attack or up smash. use a lot of nairs to punish when fox gets aggressive as it beats out a lot of what he can do. keep this in mind when he tries to recover with illusion, or even firefox if spaced correctly. don't challenge his uair or bair, retreat off stage because he probably won't follow you since his off stage game is too vulnerable. you shouldn't have a problem recovering, because if he goes on the offensive on the ledge you should just fair him *from above*. I say from above because most foxes will more often than not go for dsmash or usmash on the ledge because jiggs does not auto ledge snap (jumps in general do not) so if you go for a rise fair from below the stage you will more than likely trade and die :/ if fox has you in a jab jab, mash A to get out with nair. but yeah, those things help but the mu still sucks terribly :( i'd say it's like 70-30 fox. good luck!

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I feel like Fox is the worst MU for Jigglypuff because of many reasons. He's quick, hard to hit, can spam, and Jiggs can't really escape out of combos with this one. (Fox does a one-two-three hit thing where it's all about hitting where your opponent goes.)
uh, lol no Jiggs is one of the few characters that can reliably jump/DI out of his jab infinite. Even his multijab can be avoided with good timing.

As for approaches, I generally start Neutral by crouching and Dtilt. Once he makes an error, I go for the combos. Fox is pretty heavy, which makes stuff like Pound -> Fair -> Rest or Dair -> Rest work better. It's mostly just us going defensive while we duck under lazerz and Perfect Shield the Usmash.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Yes, we can get out of the jab lock, but not the other stuff that I guess I should explain more. He can link with Uairs and can still easily do a tornado kick (fair).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I honestly enjoy the fox MU, and he definitely isn't our worst, yoshi is. But fox is quick, but we have solid beef against him.

-His jab combo setups can be rested. If he tries doing that double jab stuff, just soam rest, and it will hit mid combo. If you dont want to risk that, it's an easy smash di away. And since these are his most reliable kill combos, that is suddenly taken away from him.
-Fox has issues approaching puff. the best fox approaches in neutral is a sh aerial, grab, or dash attack. We can beat out all these approaches with out sh aerials, and his dash attack and grab are beaten if we sh aerial. He can't approach all too well, so we get to be aggressive. His lasers you mentioned are an issue, but we can easily duck them and stall the match. He doesnt get all too much out of lasers honestly.
-Fox has kill power, but no setups against puff. We normally avoid being above characters in any way, so uair doesnt get all too many chances, unless we somehow miss a tech on a uthrow into a platform.
-Fox's recovery is super gimpable. Nair beats his phantasm and fire fox. If fox is offstage above the stage ledge, follow him so you can get the phantasm, if he's below the stage ledge dont expect a phantasm, and go for the dair spike. If you FF dair, and hit all hits except the last one, you get a semi spike. Dair beats fire fox, and can get you the win often. Fox is pretty easy to gimp.
-Helicopter kick is a good anti-air, but has issues if it misses, due to end lag, it can be good, but if we can bait it, it can lead to a good punish string. BE CAREFUL :p

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I agree. Yoshi is by far the worst. It's funny how I can do decent in a tourney but can lose to a scrub who plays Yoshi. (Why does he have super armor in a jump?!) I've found that ledge guarding is not too difficult on Fox, but when he plays very defensive and spacey, he's hard to approach. He out spaces Jiggs, and you just really have to rack up percent and stay away for the rest of the match. Approaching at high level play is too difficult. Any suggestions?

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Scrub yoshis are fun. I ended up landing 5 rests on one because he loved using DownB and Fair.

As for Fox, you have to try and get him to come to you. Remember that crouch and shield are your friend. If he gets close, let rip with Nair, Fair, Dair, and Rest.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
yeah, honestly the reason that mu is so ingrained in me as a terrible one is that the first good fox i played in this game, and one of the foxes i play with frequently, happens to be larry lurr… yeah, it's not easy being a puffball when you're staring DEHF in the face. (huehuehue)

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
That's the reason I brought this up! Larry Lurr totally bodied me at Come and Take It!, A regional smash tournamant in Austin TX. There's a lot of good fox players in Texas and I want to beat them somehow. He's also the first really good Fox I played.

Top Bottom