• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with spammers

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Recently on for glory I've been getting destroyed by people who just camp and spam projectiles. Usually I just use Mario or Villager for these characters, but I 70% of the people on for glory are like this and I need a way to beat them or at least make them stop spamming so they show falcon more of their moves.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Well, if they're spamming projectiles, they're not faster than you (since Sonic is the only character faster than Falcon), so my first recommendation would be to try to keep things close. If they run from one side to the other spamming projectiles and get away from your rushdown by rolling, you should be able to punish that too.

Another thing to keep in mind is that lots of projectiles can be shorthopped, so approaching with shorthop nairs can sometimes be a decent plan, especially since you can often go from nair->jab before they have time to throw out another move.

Finally, recall that Falcon's jab has a slight disjoint, which means there's a number of projectiles you can cancel simply by jabbing, which can help you close the distance.

RedKnightXIII

Smash Rookie
As an Ike player, and CF for a secondary, i usually try to perfect shield and spot dodge, usually if you let them do their thing for about 20 seconds you probably can get a good idea of their initial timing and order of spamming, i used to have this problem specifically with Samus and Pacman. Pacman gets the mix up and speeds so sometimes it still throws me off but i don't let Samus or Link bother me anymore. i show them the moves

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
Sometimes approaching cautiously by pulling up shield and inching your way is a good strat. Projectiles are usually laggy so when you get close you can punish. When they start to run away is your time to strike. Outrun them and start a nice combo. Don't give them the opportunity to start spamming again.

MadSpace

Smash Rookie
The best way is to perfect shield the projectiles and read their rolls then punish. I rarely lose to projectile campers as Falcon, if at all. I suggest walking and shield because it's a bit easier than running then shielding. Once you get close just read the rolls towards you, because that's the only area they can really go. It's easy once you get the hang of it,

monzer

Smash Journeyman
@ Nixon Corral Nixon Corral @ RedKnightXIII RedKnightXIII @ TheSausXL TheSausXL @ MadSpace MadSpace
Thanks for the advice, I can deal with spammers much easier now. I still have some trouble with Links, but I can usually 2 stock Samuses and other characters who spam projectiles. It's pretty funny how most spammers have no idea what to do once someone actually approaches them.

Other thing I've realized is that Link's side-b has a wind box on it. Would it be a good idea to use the wind box as an approach option.

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
No problem bro. And definitely use that side b to your advantage. What I do is if I just want a quick hit to maybe get him off stage or break his wall, I just hold a and let the wind take u to him for the quick gentleman. Another thing that will get them is the wind-assisted f-smash for a nice kill. And if you want to style on them, you know you have to whip out that Falcon Punch :4falcon:

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
No problem bro. And definitely use that side b to your advantage. What I do is if I just want a quick hit to maybe get him off stage or break his wall, I just hold a and let the wind take u to him for the quick gentleman. Another thing that will get them is the wind-assisted f-smash for a nice kill. And if you want to style on them, you know you have to whip out that Falcon Punch :4falcon:
Wind-assisted Falcon Punch is the most satisfying way to close out a stock.

MadSpace

Smash Rookie
@ Nixon Corral Nixon Corral @ RedKnightXIII RedKnightXIII @ TheSausXL TheSausXL @ MadSpace MadSpace
Thanks for the advice, I can deal with spammers much easier now. I still have some trouble with Links, but I can usually 2 stock Samuses and other characters who spam projectiles. It's pretty funny how most spammers have no idea what to do once someone actually approaches them.

Other thing I've realized is that Link's side-b has a wind box on it. Would it be a good idea to use the wind box as an approach option.
Nice! Good to hear that you have made progress!

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
I think all you guys are right. Either switch to a character who can effectively reflect, absorb, or spam more projectiles, / or use perfect shields, shorts hops and speed to get in that spammer's face and punch it into oblivion.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
I think all you guys are right. Either switch to a character who can effectively reflect, absorb, or spam more projectiles, / or use perfect shields, shorts hops and speed to get in that spammer's face and punch it into oblivion.
Usually I beat them with Falcon before I know they spam, and then I switch to villager next game and destroy them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom