• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing With Lag

nooch33

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing on FG alot, and I find myself getting into the habit of blaming losses on lag.

I don't like making excuses, but when you SD because your jump didn't input or you can't get a string of attacks going it's mad frustrating.

How do I tell if it's coming from my end?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Lag actually causes losses. Trust me, For Glory isn't great for practicing. Most of the time, lag you don't even realize is there can contribute to losing.

In fact, even in a seemingly "perfect" FG match, there is always a bit of input lag. Always. Even if you don't feel there is.

nooch33

Smash Rookie
Lag actually causes losses. Trust me, For Glory isn't great for practicing. Most of the time, lag you don't even realize is there can contribute to losing.

In fact, even in a seemingly "perfect" FG match, there is always a bit of input lag. Always. Even if you don't feel there is.
I'm just trying to figure out why its so bad and which ends it's coming from. Like smash64 netplay on my wifi has a good solid 25-30 ping and barely lags, but you can't see netinfo in smash 4

I want to start playing matches with people on anthers ladder, but I don't want to ruin games if I'm the one lagging.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
As an Anther's player myself, I can confirm that in ranked matches, you do a lag test before the match. If it is bad consistently, it's coming from you.

Essentially, if every match you play on FG is bad, then I'm sure some of it is coming from you. Maybe not all, but some. You can't really check in Smash 4, like you said. Just try out Anther's, I haven't had many lag issues on there.

Last edited:

Machii

Smash Apprentice
FG Ryu with dat input lag and shield stun is just stupid. FG has a meta completely separate from the core game because of lag and omega. It is a real bull**** setting and makes me wish I'd done something else with the time I've put into it. Id rather practice against amiibos.

nooch33

Smash Rookie
Yea I started playing more link and bait people into bomb upsmash

The only way to beat cancer is to become the cancer it seems

Heracr055

Smash Ace
For Glory is useful because you're playing against a human instead of an AI. That means you'll get a good idea of what characters are going to try in offline play/tournaments. It's a great source for finding strategies your foes will use against you, and developing/testing counter strategies. If you lose due to input issues, I wouldn't sweat it too hard because you'll probably nail it offline. I'm a Ryu main and know the pain so this is how I try to look at it now

Top Bottom