• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with iceclimbers?

Fantasies

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, first post on smashboards long time viewer.
:marthmelee::icsmelee:
One of my main practice partners is an ice climbers main and as a marth main who doesn't know the match-up too well I've been struggling with it.
Generally dealing with:
-not getting grabbed>wobbled/handoff'd to kill percent or death
-how to approach
-what works well to wall them out
-best stages counterpick

AirFair

Marth tho
I have a friend who mains IC's and I've played him a couple times. What I can say is that grabbing one of them is a desync, then you just have to take it from there. Don't throw out random aerials on approach bc of shieldgrabs. I'm not too sure about stages. This is just off my knowledge alone, so take it with a grain of salt.

Fantasies

Smash Rookie
I have a friend who mains IC's and I've played him a couple times. What I can say is that grabbing one of them is a desync, then you just have to take it from there. Don't throw out random aerials on approach bc of shieldgrabs. I'm not too sure about stages. This is just off my knowledge alone, so take it with a grain of salt.
so once you grab them, I'm guessing pummelling is the best thing to do because that keeps the other IC from throwing out a smash attack to break the grab ? thanks dude I'm sure it'll help :roll:

Steelo Rivers

Smash Cadet
What I can tell you from experience is don't get grabbed, and if you can get either of them (or both) off of the stage then just ken combo whichever one you can get to. Don't spend too much time thinking about killing both, spend time thinking about getting them off stage and/or using whatever you can to desync. The higher the %, the easier it is to get one of them off stage to combo.

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
I have lots of experience against a very annoying ice climber main so I can give you lots of tips.

I would not go in for grabs much cause if they know how to desync properly you can get punished/grabbed
Don't approach their shield EVER from the front, even if you get away its not worth tht risk
The best approach possible is Dtilt It has good spacing (like fsmash), really low lag, and can shield poke which is really important
Besides that gimp nana as usual and just be very consistent with edgegaurding. Dair and Fsmash should work nicley

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
No, I'm just reminding everyone, I play every character in the game regularly so I use stuff like dash cancel d-tilt constantly, it's a good approach option.

Top Bottom