• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with guard throw spammers?

YamiZee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-9729-0156
How do you deal with people who camp out and whenever you try to attack they block and proceed to throw you? I know your supposed to throw people who are blocking but then they just roll out of the way or do something else to evade it and then I have to recover from attempt throwing and were back to square one? I main a pikachu which makes things even harder considering his throw is small. Also when I don't attack they come to just throw me themselves and if they have large grab its hard to evade. Suggestions? My brother spams it all the time ><'

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
How do you deal with people who camp out and whenever you try to attack they block and proceed to throw you?
1. Use an attack that pushes them out of range, like Down Smash

2. Use an attack that has more range than their grab, like Forward Smash (this is better than #1, but you can't go right next
to them and attack, do it a little bit away from your opponent so you can hit their shield with your attack, but they can't grab you from it; this is called spacing)

3. Spam Jab on their shield (Spam Jab = press and hold A). If they try to grab you, the continuous Jab will catch them and they'll take damage for doing so. If they just sit in their shield the Jab will either push them away or wear the shield down enough for it to start hitting them out of it.
4. #1 and #2 don't work on characters with really good grab range, like :dedede::ivysaur::link2::lucas::olimar::samus2::toonlink::yoshi2::zerosuitsamus:.
In this case, attack their shield with a move that finishes quickly, then either:
  • Jump up
    • If used on a character with a very slow grab, like :link2::lucas::toonlink::zerosuitsamus:, you can attack them in their ending lag
  • Roll/Jump behind them
    • After you do this, you can retaliate with whatever move is fast enough to catch them before they regain control.
  • Sidestep their grab
    • see the above option
It's important, however, to never repeatedly do the same option - if they catch on, you might be in trouble.

I know your supposed to throw people who are blocking but then they just roll out of the way or do something else to evade it and then I have to recover from attempt throwing and were back to square one?
If they:
  • sidestep
    • Use Down Smash. Simple. It's hitbox stays out very long so it effectively goes right through sidesteps. If you're good enough, you can charge a smash attack to hit them just as their invincibility from the sidestep ends.
  • roll
    • If you think they'll do this, run in the direction they roll and then time a dash attack (you can use anything else that's appropriate) to hit them as they come out of their roll. Rolls (like all other moves) leave the user vulnerable at the end.
  • jump up
    • Jump up yourself and try to hit them out of it before they realise - try Up Aerial or Back Aerial. Most people won't do this though.
I main a pikachu which makes things even harder considering his throw is small. Also when I don't attack they come to just throw me themselves and if they have large grab its hard to evade. Suggestions? My brother spams it all the time ><'
There are a few ways to punish this:
  • sidestep
    • then hit them with something quick (like Jab, a.k.a. press A)
  • roll behind them
    • then hit them with something quick
  • jump up
    • This is a relatively bad option. You shouldn't worry about this.
If they use:
  • :link2::lucas::toonlink::samus2:(standing grab):yoshi2:(standing grab):zerosuitsamus:
    • These characters have slow grabs. Use both #1 and #2 listed above and hit them hard with a Forward Smash (make sure to be right next to them so you can hit with the strong part of the attack - Pikachu's cheeks) If you're facing :samus2:and:yoshi2:'s dash grabs (when they grab while running), use something quicker like Forward Tilt or Dash Attack.
  • :dedede::olimar:
    • If you get riiiiight next to them then you may be able to get a quick Jab, #1 is a bit more preferable to #2 if you do.
  • anyone else
    • If you're not sure then just try to hit them with Jab, Down Tilt or Forward Tilt.
IF YOU THINK THEY'RE GOING TO GRAB AND YOU ARE NEXT TO THEM
  • You have the option to use Thunder (Down-B). What happens is that you'll use it and they will (hopefully) cut you off by grabbing you. But if you timed it right, then the Thunder will still happen regardless, and you'll get released because they got struck by it. You should be at least 75% sure they're going to grab you and you should time it well, otherwise they can move away and avoid it.
Above all, you should adapt to your opponent's grab, learn what your best option is and don't use the exact same method over and over again otherwise you become predictable.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Consider who they are and who you are. Know your options for dealing with this, might be character dependent since some characters are bad at dealing with these kinds of things vs others.

Then think about what they are going to do, but you know what they want to do, shield and throw. So if you know this, how can you stop it?

Mix-ups, then wiffing a grab gives you a lot of free frames to punish them for it. How do you make them wiff it, move around, don't stop moving.
Cross up on their shield, don't do the same they over and over so they can punish you for it.
Grab them, they are trying to shield grab, just grab them first.

These are things I do when I think someone is trying to hide in their shield a lot. You need to practice it more but I guarantee these will work.

Last edited:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Don't hit shields unsafely (ie don't hit shields in a way that leads to you being in the position to be shieldgrabbed). This means either don't hit shields at all (usually the case) or hit the shield safely (eg by spacing well, hitting the back of the shield, etc)

Remember that if your opponent is shielding, you don't have to do anything. Shielding limits the opponent's options, and if you just stand there outside of their grab range their shield will just shrink and shrink. Most lower-mid level players will panic in a situation like this and roll or spotdodge; wait for that and punish.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
PKBeams post is so gdlk it made me comment, wow. 10/10

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Not as good as some people could write.
It's important you don't follow my post to the letter, it's simply a guideline to help you review your options, you're the one who makes the final decisions.

Top Bottom