• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Frustration

Trauma1

Smash Rookie
Ok guys as the title suggests, I'm curious as to how everyone deals with their frustration and demotivation when you get on For Glory and just can't win games.

I played for a good couple hours tonight and its like every single time I faced a character that gives me trouble or they were just comboing the hell out of me without me being able to do much and it lead to nothing but absolute frustration and demotivation on my part.

One guy even realized that Link gives me trouble as Ness and all he did was run away, sit at the edge of the map, and spam his arrows, and whenever I'd try to get near he would just forward smash me back to the other side and repeat. The same guy then went Jigglypuff put his name as "LOOOOOOL!" and played like a huge troll and did the sing and rest combo. He even went as Gannon one round and kept trying to lure me to the edge of the stage so he could do that stupid side b grab to SD thing that Gannon can do.

Another person I went against had the name "Gamer Girl" and she played Captain Falcon I believe and when she 2 stocked me, one of which was me SDing out of frustration, she changed her name to "2 Stock" then "By a girl". I'll admit, many frustration SDs happened tonight

How do you guys deal with it? I mean, here I am trying to practice and get better yet it seems I'm just playing people that take advantage of the fact that I'm not that great and troll me or just have way more skill than I do so I can't practice any. I went from playing with buddies and winning 6 rounds of 1v1 king of the hill to just totally getting destroyed today and it's killed my motivation and it actually got me to put my controller down and take a few punches out on my bed, which NEVER happens/I can't even remember the last time I've been that frustrated with something.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Punching the nearest wall is how I deal with it...

No, but sometimes you just have to take it slow. It makes you feel like a **** player losing most matches but just try, try again. Practice makes perfect. You're probably tired of hearing that, but it's the truth.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I used to have serious trouble getting mad at FG. That was a few months ago, though - the more I lost, the better I got at handling it. Now I'm at the point where I can just identify the reason I lost and work on it without getting angry. My advice would be to quit if you get too mad, otherwise you'll just play worse - and also approach your games objectively. Trolling aside, what's the actual factor that's making you lose?

Trauma1

Smash Rookie
I used to have serious trouble getting mad at FG. That was a few months ago, though - the more I lost, the better I got at handling it. Now I'm at the point where I can just identify the reason I lost and work on it without getting angry. My advice would be to quit if you get too mad, otherwise you'll just play worse - and also approach your games objectively. Trolling aside, what's the actual factor that's making you lose?
I'm not exactly sure. But i THINK that maybe since I'm Ness. I need to no try to go in so hard on the opponent and maybe try to throw out more fairs and nairs since Ness aerials are pretty good. Maybe its just me trying to go in on opponents when I should let them come to me and whatnot. I'm thinking that I may have been trying to agress the opponent too much instead of use my spacing to get hits in and take advantage of any openints.

Maybe I just need to study up on Ness a bit more and refresh my memory as to how I should be playing him

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Man I just wonder which is more prevalent in For Glory: true skill or disrespect? Or both at the same time? It can be super frustrating to lose to someone clearly trying to be rood to you in a sense. I mean trollers have the power to change their name into a disrespectful insult and then just leave. It also upsets me at the fact that I have my good and bad sides of me when playing smash. Theres times when I'm capable of beating the living s**t out of everyone no matter what with :4yoshi:, and times when I embarrassingly lose to roll spammers.

To deal with it? Well for one thing I know I'm better than how I usually perform when I screw up, so I tell myself that. I would also want to fight people I've made friends with online. You know, the ones that don't disrespect and usually have a higher skill level than those on FG, and would overall be better experience for your competitive nature.

I guess my point is people can have their bad and good days on FG. You're either fighting a player who all he / she wants to do is play with skilled players, or your fighting a player who wants to be a **** to you.

Now on the flipside, you and I shouldn't be losing to online people with only the elementary of information on their side (unless of course, lag was that bad, and when that happens, you just leave no matter what and find another player). Remember, this is the smash community, where frame data is the standard of pro players. In other worlds, simply improve your game. Study your character a little harder, and stay the hell away from lag.

D

Deleted member 269706

If I'm not doing good, I usually stop...But you have to know the difference between you not playing good, and you being outplayed. You can be playing great, but still be outplayed; though it's also possible for you to just be having an off day. If you just aren't feeling it, the best thing you can do is just go offline.

I've noticed for me personally, when I'm playing like ****, no matter how much I try, I can't pick up on my enemies habits, and I certainly don't learn anything from the matches I've been losing. Nothing good comes from pushing onwards when you aren't playing in a good mindset. You'll lose, then you'll get angry and aggressive, then you'll play recklessly, then you'll lose, and the cycle just repeats.

After a few hours (or even the next day), when you're in a better mindset, do your best to focus on the neutral and understanding your opponents play style. If you can focus and play your best, you'll lose less, but when you lose, it won't be so hard to take; it'll be easy to understand why you lost, and you'll actually take something away from it.

MurderousCakes

Smash Rookie
NNID
ComboCakes
I'm an emotional gamer, and the salt gets to me very easily.
After losing, and losing to bad players, spammers, and overall rude people.. I finally gave up.
So now instead of playing on FG I use anthers ladder to find and play smashers, it has a much better community and with that comes less salt.
So all I can say is just quit FG, or get something to hit and take out your rage. (Just not a wall, or another person.. trust me.)

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
You should quit For Glory and go to Smash ladder because there's better players and you'll get better results. You won't be able to find that many good players and just end up with bad ones. Also for smash ladder, you might make more friends there and you're losing to a good player, have a replay and watch it so you'll know what you did wrong and improve.

If you lose to camping players and roll spammers and get angry, take a break and don't let your rage get the best of you. When I'm at rage, sometimes I go to eight man smash, put in hammers with a time limit, team up with computers(my mains), and take it out on the character that I face and lost to a bunch of times. I do that to the character until I feel satisfied and that character deserves it for putting me through H***(mostly Sheik and Zelda if I choose to because I don't like them, no offend to Sheik and Zelda players)

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I'm an emotional gamer, and the salt gets to me very easily.
After losing, and losing to bad players, spammers, and overall rude people.. I finally gave up.
So now instead of playing on FG I use anthers ladder to find and play smashers, it has a much better community and with that comes less salt.
So all I can say is just quit FG, or get something to hit and take out your rage. (Just not a wall, or another person.. trust me.)
I know how that feels, especially to players that love to camp.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Took me a long time to realize this, but don't sweat too much about For Glory. You have a lot of people on there that use certain tactics that don't require too much skill. You can be a much more skillful player and lose to someone not as good. It's also always a flat stage, which benefits some characters more than others.

I can't tell you how many times I beat someone and then right after they switched to jab/dash spamming Little Mac's or dash and grab Captain Falcon's to try and get a win. It works sometimes, because I am not too experienced and don't know how to deal with some things. That's when you leave and find someone who is serious about playing the game. I ran into someone whom I beat two games in a row pretty easily, and then they beat me about five games in a row, suddenly playing very well and pulling off nice combos. They were certainly a troll, because during these matches they changed their name to "LOL" and "SALT?". Of course I got upset, but then realized that person wasn't worth my time.

Not putting down anyone who mains a high tier character, as there are some seriously good players who use Sheik, ZSS, Yoshi, etc., but I love it when I see a low tier character chosen and they're really good. I ran into a great Palutena and Wii Fit Trainer the other day. I would just like to see some more variety like that on For Glory, but what are you gonna do? It is what it is. I recommend finding people on here (or elsewhere) and adding them on your Wii U or 3DS if you want better practice and better matches overall.

Last edited:

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
Just go get on training, damage 999%, heal yourself and KO 'the opponent that was beating the poopy duke out of you' a lot of times using various methods. Tis fun, and how I dealt with sonic, before i could beat the poop out of him as well.

Trauma1

Smash Rookie
Sweet. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I never thought to go offlineand kust beat the crap out of the offending character in game to help relieve some of the frustrations from said character.

Also since a couple of you suggested, ill look into Anthers ladder and see what thats all about and whatnot. If there are better players there then surely that will help me improve quicker. That and hopefully I'll play against people who are serious about playing instead of those that go on FG and troll around.

Last edited:

Trauma1

Smash Rookie
Since you main Ness............ Pk Fire spam them :demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon::demon:
The issue with that though is if you dont hit that PK Fire youre so vulnerable. I have played a couple of annoying Bowsers before though where i chain PK Fired them as punishment for being annoying though haha

mangojuice

Smash Rookie
I'm actually the opposite. I LOOK for people to lose against. I LOOK for better players. If I feel I'm a FAR better player than my opponent online, I quit after a couple matches. If I do get annoyed, it'll be because I believe I knew better. An example being, "Ike was charging a smash by the ledge, wth did i insist on rolling into that?!". That being said, if I end up losing because of that, I'd want to play again win or lose, to see if I can overcome my tendencies that caused me to lose.

Because of this, my winning % is ridiculously low. I don't have a ton of time to play, but when I do, I'm perfectly happy knowing that I'm making the right decisions and reads. I guess it's a by product of coming from a heavy fighting game background.

Trauma1

Smash Rookie
I'm actually the opposite. I LOOK for people to lose against. I LOOK for better players. If I feel I'm a FAR better player than my opponent online, I quit after a couple matches. If I do get annoyed, it'll be because I believe I knew better. An example being, "Ike was charging a smash by the ledge, wth did i insist on rolling into that?!". That being said, if I end up losing because of that, I'd want to play again win or lose, to see if I can overcome my tendencies that caused me to lose.

Because of this, my winning % is ridiculously low. I don't have a ton of time to play, but when I do, I'm perfectly happy knowing that I'm making the right decisions and reads. I guess it's a by product of coming from a heavy fighting game background.
Yea ive never actually gotten into fighting games. I always feel like their controls are convoluted. But Smash is simple in its controls.

But my win % is sitting around 24% right now. Im going to look into the smash ladder and try to get better through that instead of rolling the dice on who i go up against on FG

mangojuice

Smash Rookie
Yea ive never actually gotten into fighting games. I always feel like their controls are convoluted. But Smash is simple in its controls.

But my win % is sitting around 24% right now. Im going to look into the smash ladder and try to get better through that instead of rolling the dice on who i go up against on FG
I'm looking at that too. But to be honest, I don't feel like I play enough or even know the matchups enough to do that yet. I don't want to waste people's time. For me, it's all about time. I have 2 kids and a full time job. And there are a billion characters. I have a friend who I spar with, but only plays 4-5 character tops (all the heavies). So I run into certain characters like greninja, wii trainer, etc online and I have no idea what I'm being hit with or how to punish/avoid it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Ignore names, and play thoughtfully until either the lag drives you crazy or other things do.

For instance, assuming you were still Ness, Link's projectiles are all reflectable with the Bat (fsmash). It's hard in a lag setting, but especially if he lurks too close to the ledge, even the Hylian shielded knockback from a deflected arrow will push him off.

Spam PK Thunder and Fire against ledge-campers without projectiles. If you consider projectile spam beneath you, just justify it with "Well, they started being lame first."

And once you do get frustrated, just take a break, listen to some relaxing music, play another game you like (single player or PvE helps), and go back later with a fresh mindset. Just remember, if they're winning, it's an opportunity for you to grow in your strategy and skill.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
@ Raijinken Raijinken just Curious, what IS PvE? lol

Anyway, to the OP, don't even look at the name. I rarely notice their names, and when I do, I don't care what the name is. Just ignore it.

As for the Link arrows, use either PK Flash or PK Thunder to punish. For the Jigglypuff, roll away from him when he sings. For Ganondorf, use SOME sort of projectile.

That girl that defeated probably wasn't even a girl, most "girls" that act like that aren't even a girl, they just want to annoy you.

For the genral frustartion thing, the same happens with me, since I don't really know what to punish people with, so I suck at FG.

Raijinken

Smash Master
@ Raijinken Raijinken just Curious, what IS PvE? lol

Anyway, to the OP, don't even look at the name. I rarely notice their names, and when I do, I don't care what the name is. Just ignore it.

As for the Link arrows, use either PK Flash or PK Thunder to punish. For the Jigglypuff, roll away from him when he sings. For Ganondorf, use SOME sort of projectile.

That girl that defeated probably wasn't even a girl, most "girls" that act like that aren't even a girl, they just want to annoy you.

For the genral frustartion thing, the same happens with me, since I don't really know what to punish people with, so I suck at FG.
Players versus Environment/Everything (sometimes PvM, Players vs Monsters, is accurate also). AKA Co-op games where you have little to worry about players beating you or taunting you (unless you're not very good and playing with a bunch of randoms). Contrast PvP, Player versus Player.

Last edited:

Zeepington

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeeper
If your opponent is being a prick, do the following.
Punch a wall, scream in a soft object (a pillow?), calm down and tell yourself you can beat him, proceed to beat him and win or wait until he screws up, save replay, rub your victory all over him/her, quit, upload replay to the world.

Trust me, the satisfaction can last long if your opponent gets butthurt easily. One of them added me to insult me and get banned afterwards. :^)

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Punch a wall, scream in a soft object (a pillow?), calm down and tell yourself you can beat him, proceed to beat him and win or wait until he screws up, save replay, rub your victory all over him/her, quit, upload replay to the world.

Trust me, the satisfaction can last long if your opponent gets butthurt easily. One of them added me to insult me and get banned afterwards. :^)
Don't punch a Wall, My brother did that (Twice, actually) and it fractured his hand

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Drugs, alcohol, beating my wife and kids, beating your wife and kids, hunting, hunting the most dangerous game, robbing little old ladies, knocking over liquor stores, robbing liquor stores, shouting offensive slogans in the streets, picketing funerals, watching the song "Pink Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo on infinite loop until it becomes all I see when I close my eyes, dressing up in a clown costume then set up a bunch of strobe lights in a pitch black hiking path and jump out laughing like a clown with a knife, cut off people's eyelids and watch them sleep, throwing molotov cocktails into asylums for widows and orphans...

All of these methods and more can help you deal with frustration!

This message is brought to you by the society against: reading, meditation, having comfort food, distracting yourself with productivity or loved ones, taking naps or making fun of the random nameless people online with an actual person in real life near you as you play couch co-op.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Just go get on training, damage 999%, heal yourself and KO 'the opponent that was beating the poopy duke out of you' a lot of times using various methods. Tis fun, and how I dealt with sonic, before i could beat the poop out of him as well.
This actually helps me a lot; I'll take whatever character my opponent was using to FD in training and set the damage really high, then I'll hit them with Mewtwo's FS and watch them fly away like a popped balloon. It's absolutely brutal and I love it. :demon:
Real talk, I've pretty much quit FG altogether due to the intense lag in nearly every match and people who all use the same character (I'm looking at you, "pocket ganons"), not to mention the occasional name-calling over tags which is pretty dumb. It just fills me up with salt every time I play and isn't even good for practicing my characters because of the unplayable lag. If it really bothers you, then I figure you might just want to try moving on to something else, like online friendlies, locals, or hell, even sparring against CPUs. Pretty much anything is better, as long as there isn't a serious amount of lag.

Last edited:

Fisk.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dimfisk
I like Anther's Ladder, but like any other place it is filled by angry kids and good players that bash on the new ones.

I guess there are far worse communities than Smash, though, I'd rather play Ladder than FG, just for the sake of having an idea how good your opponent is, and the variety in stages.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Hey i just done that today against some cocky mew2 player.
He was pretty good so i had to go and blow his back off.
Lmao

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Nice grabs. Love the way you chain them together.
Thank you man i love DDD he imo is a character that if you get really good with can cause major problems for alotta people he lives untill a ridiculous amount of time due to being the 3rd heaviest but has multi jumps and a crazy pretty much un gimpable recovery.

I main him and Ganon.

Really hoping for K.Rool
I only play as heavies you see. If you like this they are a few more Dirty gameplay
I have a series on youtube called

''Dirty Day DDD''
&
''Dirty Day Ganon''

Lol all videos are on my youtube channel although most videos are of ganon since i been maining him since WiiU release and only recently picked up DDD for real about a month ago.

Something about DDD & Ganon i dont really feel with other heavies such as crazy combos and insane damage with those combos.

Although Ike is really good now but i dont really like Swordsman
And DK is abit too bad...although he is super fun..just wish he was bettter.

I play abit of bowser he is brutal and i did main him in melee and brawl but his lack of combos make me get bored of him fast..he is more of a patient and punish 1hit type..

Charizard has a awkward playstyle but he can be pretty crazy but i dont feel him as much...im really wishing for K.Rool i want him so bad...
Its a shame that i dont have a HD recording device most of my best videos were recorded of my phone thank god for the Youtube upload update although my best clips are of Phone camera but they are decent quality.

Here are a few videos from the series :)

King DDD:

Ganondorf:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Thank you man i love DDD he imo is a character that if you get really good with can cause major problems for alotta people he lives untill a ridiculous amount of time due to being the 3rd heaviest but has multi jumps and a crazy pretty much un gimpable recovery.

I main him and Ganon.

Really hoping for K.Rool
I only play as heavies you see. If you like this they are a few more Dirty gameplay
I have a series on youtube called

''Dirty Day DDD''
&
''Dirty Day Ganon''

Lol all videos are on my youtube channel although most videos are of ganon since i been maining him since WiiU release and only recently picked up DDD for real about a month ago.

Something about DDD & Ganon i dont really feel with other heavies such as crazy combos and insane damage with those combos.

Although Ike is really good now but i dont really like Swordsman
And DK is abit too bad...although he is super fun..just wish he was bettter.

I play abit of bowser he is brutal and i did main him in melee and brawl but his lack of combos make me get bored of him fast..he is more of a patient and punish 1hit type..

Charizard has a awkward playstyle but he can be pretty crazy but i dont feel him as much...im really wishing for K.Rool i want him so bad...
Its a shame that i dont have a HD recording device most of my best videos were recorded of my phone thank god for the Youtube upload update although my best clips are of Phone camera but they are decent quality.

Here are a few videos from the series :)

King DDD:

Ganondorf:

Your Welcome. Try not to put a bunch of videos in one post next time, because you might get in trouble for that. I made a mistake like that before and I don't want you making the same one that I made; But still, you have a impressive King Dedede and Ganon.

Have an account on Smash Ladder, because there's better players in Ladder than for Glory? I have one and its helping me improving my mains a lot more than For Glory.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
DO. NOT. PLAY. FOR. GLORY. A lot of the people on there just roll and some even play like trolls like you wrote. If you want to fight me sometime you can. My NNID is Little_Dragon34

Top Bottom