• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with frogs

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
Just real quick, before anyone jumps the gun and thinks this a question about fighting Greninja, it's not. It's just what I call people who jump about the place trying to not get hit.

So, anyway, My one friend who mains Shulk likes to jump around a lot. I mean, almost all the time, sprinkling in an attack or two just to get a hit off. When it comes down to just us, he jumps every one of my ground attacks and goes to the other side of the stage, and when I try to PK Thunder him, he air dodges and tries to punish. This just makes matches last WAY too long I feel, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get around this?
(I'll post a video later, my phone's dead. Sorry.)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ness is an aerial character, so most of his attacks on the ground won't help against someone who jumps around a lot. Bait his aerials or dodge them and punish afterwards. If you're using PKT while on the ground and he's near you, you should probably stop. You might be fortunate enough to land a PKT2 on him, but it's risky. If he's dodging your PKT, you need to learn to tailwhip with it. The dodge animation will complete and the tail of PKT will connect, thus stunning him. And don't chase him. He has no projectile, so he should be chasing you. But if you must chase him, then again, bait him into making an error and punish him for it. If you get close to him and he does a SH > fair, for example, retreat and then move in once the attack animation on it has complete. Kind of like when a player holds their smash attack and waits for you to fall for it, but you just stay away until they're done and punish them afterwards. The only difference is that aerials are quicker. I'd like to see a video for better critiquing, but that belongs here.

Last edited:

Meccs

@Meccs_
I'm pretty sure Shulk's Fair beats anything Ness can throw out. So you have to play really defensive against a Fair-happy Shulk. I don't think there's anything else too bad for Ness in the matchup, but Shulk's Fair is devastating.

Top Bottom