• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with FoD?

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
This is easily my least favorite stage to play on as Falcon and in competitive Melee overall, but I'm willing to learn it anyway. My main issue are the jets when they're going up and down. It messes with my combo setups, l-cancels, and most of the other general stuff people deal with. Even though I typically ban this stage, I'd rather learn how to deal with it if I ever have the decision to take them there if I feel I can't win on stages I'm usually comfortable on. The only benefits I've seen for Falcon on this stage is that the Dair can be more useful on the platforms, Up Smash is much more useful, other characters struggle too, and the Tapion Punch Combo becomes a bit easier (but that's only useful if you want the the disrespectful finish. As much as I love that combo lol). Advice would be welcome.

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
I've heard that shield dropping helps a lot so learning that could be super beneficial. Also I wonder if theres some information somewhere on the possible platform heights, I'd really like to look into that because these things mess me up a lil too much. But yeah I think the stage probably isn't actually THAT bad once you learn it, also hands down the best stage in the game visually. haha.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
In response to my question: "how do you deal with FoD?"

$mike said:
Just don't do aerials under the platforms
I think really what he means to say is learn what you're actually supposed to do under/around the platforms.

I like the uptilt suggestion, that actually covers some options pretty well. And learning how to shield drop is, of course, going to help a lot as well.

dinn3rr

Smash Cadet
I used to hate FoD with a passion, then I realized it's a decent pick against one of his worst MU's (Sheik). Even though it's somewhat small, I'd still use platform movement to work with. When the platforms are at their lowest (but not inside the stage) try to stay around the middle stage or switch to FHop aerials. Uair/Utilt and U-Angled f-tilt are great tools for the lower platform locations. If the platforms are fully up, treat FoD like Yoshi's without Randall. Hope this helps?

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
I love playing on FOD because I only secondary Falcon. Marth main :)

I know it's not helpful at all but a secondary Marth covers Falcons weaknesses and Falcon covers some of Marths

Top Bottom