• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with fireballs.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I've been having a lot of trouble with Marios lately. In particular, fireballs are really irritating! The only strategies I've found to deal with it is to keep on Mario so hard that he can't start that **** up, but that can be hard since his Dsmash is just so fast and is such a great GTFO move. This is a problem I'm having with all my characters, though I've found that Falcon's Nair can sometimes be a solution if they're being predictable.

Time to help all us scrubs stop whining about Mario so much. How the heck do we deal with those fireballs? General technique/timing would be appreciated, but if you really want matchup specifics, my mains are in my sig.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I'm on my iphone, so I can't see sigs... The best things to do, just nair/fair through the fireball and approach as you do it. Doing it stationary is only a good idea if mario is off stage. Staying close makes it so mario can ether not fireball safely or not at all. Some characters can hit a fireball and mario with the same aerial. Picking a stage that is small can negate some of his fireball usage, make it unsafe or if you pick a stage with high platforms, like DL for example. Remember, those fireballs bounce higher, the higher mario jumps.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Also getting in their head crushes it. Especially against Mario's that wield fireball like a crutch. If you can read their **** and beat fireballs in the neutral a lot of crappy Mario mains will melt. It's p good.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Also getting in their head crushes it. Especially against Mario's that wield fireball like a crutch. If you can read their **** and beat fireballs in the neutral a lot of crappy Mario mains will melt. It's p good.
Those Mario mains will look like Mario's melee fireball, lol

Use Skype more, BUTTHEAD

Last edited:

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
What do you mean exactly? Like the Nairing I was talking about? Give me some examples!

GeZ

Smash Lord
The move has inherent lag, like all moves do, and anticipating when they're going to throw a fireball can let you dodge it and capitalize.

Say that your opponent throws a grounded fireball every time they're about 3 character distances away. You can wait until they ease into that habit and then run, jump, and Nairplane them in the face for it.

**** like that. Seeing when they want to throw fireballs and countering based on that anticipation.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
The move has inherent lag, like all moves do, and anticipating when they're going to throw a fireball can let you dodge it and capitalize.

Say that your opponent throws a grounded fireball every time they're about 3 character distances away. You can wait until they ease into that habit and then run, jump, and Nairplane them in the face for it.

**** like that. Seeing when they want to throw fireballs and countering based on that anticipation.
Ah. Unfortunately, none of the Marios I'm facing are that scrubby. They know to short hop at the very least. Even then, jumping in with a falcon Nair on reaction works fine to punish it. The first fireball gets dunked by the first hit of Nair and the second punishes. Works out great! But if he gets a single hit in, I have no way of dealing with more than one fireball coming at me at a time.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
I've been having a lot of trouble with Marios lately. In particular, fireballs are really irritating! The only strategies I've found to deal with it is to keep on Mario so hard that he can't start that **** up, but that can be hard since his Dsmash is just so fast and is such a great GTFO move. This is a problem I'm having with all my characters, though I've found that Falcon's Nair can sometimes be a solution if they're being predictable.

Time to help all us scrubs stop whining about Mario so much. How the heck do we deal with those fireballs? General technique/timing would be appreciated, but if you really want matchup specifics, my mains are in my sig.
falcon nair the grounded fireballs and uair the full hop

marth utilt till he gets closer then fair so you can punish

mewtwo utilt nair or sideb all work great maybe even ftilt

sheik just needle

fmblz

Smash Rookie
There are a few times where I get fireball crazy, but sending them out as I recover usually just happens by muscle memory. Also fireball to f smash is just so satisfying. Can vouch for mew2 tilts and sheik's needles just ruining my time

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
What are some options for a lucario player to avoid the fire balls? Lucario's neutral game is not the best, so I am having trouble with this as well

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
What are some options for a lucario player to avoid the fire balls? Lucario's neutral game is not the best, so I am having trouble with this as well
You stick to stages with platforms.

Top Bottom