• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with cheap players

mochiasta

Smash Rookie
NNID
animicousD
3DS FC
4012-3962-2742
How does one deal with players that spam one move (side b) non stop?
IT BRINGS RAAAAAGE
one more thing, this is happening in smash bros 3ds

Last edited:

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
...You figure out how to beat that predictable action and then crush the scrub.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Umm.. what character are they using and it shouldn't really be a problem. Just try blocking and rolling.

Last edited:

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
All I can say is don't let it get to you. Spamming is a legitimate strategy, also known as zoning. its a basic part of any fighting game. the best advice I can give is to learn how to counter the strategy. learn the weaknesses like the recovery or range of the move and use that to your advantage.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Don't mind this comment.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
link, the spammed move in question is the boomerang which, as i'm sure is known, can go in multiple directions and covers a rather large area
Dodge the move and punish him...?

It's really predictable if they keep using the same move, so it shouldn't be hard to get in.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I like the way you think. It's a very true statement but I don''t fight players like that frequently
...that's kind of the entire basis of fighting games as a genre...

Last edited:

mochiasta

Smash Rookie
NNID
animicousD
3DS FC
4012-3962-2742
All I can say is don't let it get to you. Spamming is a legitimate strategy, also known as zoning. its a basic part of any fighting game. the best advice I can give is to learn how to counter the strategy. learn the weaknesses like the recovery or range of the move and use that to your advantage.
zoning eh? sorry i'm new to the competitive scene so i'm uncertain what that is

Raijinken

Smash Master
Against the Boomerang, it's worth noting that the wind no longer pushes if you're shielded, so roll into it then shield the return if you have to. Hit him during this time.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Use the boomerang on your favor, do some spacing, charge a smash attack or another strong move after dodging the Gale Boomerang and use the returning tornado to fly into your opponent and strike him....or just use a Reflector

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Just airdodge if they throw the boomerang at you and then attack them.. If you want to be really fancy the boomerang loses its hitbox on the way back but still pushes you, so you could ride the 'rang back to them and bop them in style.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
like i said, most other players I have played use strings of different attacks so those are the kind i've gotten used to.

If something works, keep doing it until it stops working. No exceptions.

Last edited:

Spirst

Yeah, once you learn to punish predicatable play, you'll be laughing each time you come across it. I typically charge up a smash or let out a jab after intentionally getting caught in the returning boomerang.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Well with some time you'll know the different fight styles that people have, some of them obviously are going to be annoying but that is helpful to learn to counter them and deal with similar situations, even if their strategies are simplistic; like those guys who spam Pikachu's Thunder ad nauseam in online battles, just use a reflector and it's all ogre for them.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
zoning eh? sorry i'm new to the competitive scene so i'm uncertain what that is
A zone, if I am correct, is determined by the range of your attacks. So, if you have a projectile, that also counts as a zone. If you step within that zone, they will attack, whether it be a projectile or a close-combat attack. (depends on how close you are) Be wary when approaching an opponents zone. Using your projectiles from a distance can be considered "zoning" your opponent out, though this shouldn't last very long if you're against a good opponent.

Keep in mind you can shield during a dash, and dash again after the shield.

Link's boomerang really shouldn't be a problem though, LOL. It's pretty decently slow to come out. You're likely going to meet a lot of players like this in the future. Analyze your play, look for your mistakes, and look for things you could do better, like how to approach your opponent, maybe next time you can jump over Pikachu's Neutral B. (Or in Link's case, shield his Boomerang)

Last edited:

Boshi PV

Just another Wolf
3DS FC
2724-0961-4824
Switch FC
3729-0626-1690
Roll the throw, shield the return. Spot dodge if he goes for a grab on your shield. The lag on his grab animation is highly punishable and he can't throw another boomerang while there is one out.

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
Faaalcon punchhhh, Faaalcon punchhhh, Faaalcon punchhhh, Faaalcon punchhhh, Faaalcon punchhhh.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
My friend's friend (from 64 to Brawl) always picks Kirby and always either does his dash attack or Smash Forward. I get jelly, but try to stay calm and abuse it every time he spams it too much. I learn two things from him. Mindgames and reading him.

But regardless of which, learn to adapt. I know there's some way you can use that Gale Boomerang (or TL's Boomerang) to your advantage and bring you in on an unexpected counter or just roll/shield/jump it. It's not really a hard ability to get through nor has a huge box of follow ups as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
I would highly recommend using Link while spamming the boomerang yourself. Once you use the move in the same fashion that it was used against you, you can learn from your opponents actions. That is an effective way to visually learn what to do on the spot. You also familiarize yourself with the attack and learn how it is best used. This knowledge will help you predict how your opponent is using the move.

Not only that, but you would also realize that his boomerang ****ing sucks and that you were complaining about nothing.

:4jigglypuff:

Last edited:
Top Bottom