• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with camping

Wilfio

Smash Rookie
One of the main things I struggle with is people just running away from me. I know how to safely pressure against shield, even if I still occasionally get shieldgrabbed I usually do fine against people who play defensive. It's when people actively run away from me that I have problems, I either play too aggressive trying to hunt them down and get punished or I go the opposite way and try to outcamp them and just slowly lose.

The stage is obviously a factor but I even struggle on the small stages some times depending on who I'm playing against. I have a friend who I can beat regularly when he plays Marth, Fox etc. but struggle against his Tink because he just runs away the whole time spamming bombs arrows and 'rangs, same for another friend who plays DDD. I can cape the projectiles but cape is pretty slow so can be quite punishable, especially if I mistime it slightly. I can block the projectiles with my fireballs but then I get stuck in a projectile war which also means I cant use the fireballs to force my opponent to shield and stop them running away.

Is it a case of me needing to find better ways of approaching a camping opponent to force them to fight rather than run away or do I need to improve my defensive game to better deal with the projectiles?

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
dont chase him......you have one of the best camping tools in the game(fireballs/pills). no one says u have to chase him. camp with him or make him approach rather.

PS. against tink you can N-air through his boomerang and bow. but you have to respect the bomb. it explodes wjen met with a hitbox, so you cant cape it neither.

Last edited:

BlueLettuce

Smash Rookie
Against Link or Tink you have to find the middle ground between playing too defensive and too aggressive. If you back off too much you will have a bunch of projectiles coming your way. If you are too aggressive about your approaches you will eat a bomb or sword to the face.

Against Tink/Link powershielding is key. A powershielded rang will force your opponent to shield, jump, spot dodge or get hit. Use this opening to start applying your own pressure. Bait out their bomb throw or use a fireball to keep them in shield. This won't help you get past the disjoint but it will help alleviate some projectile pressure without being stuck in the cape lag.

yellowdee

Smash Apprentice
You can reverse-cape the bombs. Makes for a solid approach, because toon link has limited options with a bomb in hand, and you can back-air after you cape. In general for campers, If you dance around at mid-range, you can goad your opponent into attacking. At that point, try jumping away and reverse-b-ing a fireball and see if that hits 'em. This strategy works like a charm against campers who are waiting for a perceived opening.

One last thing: dair is broken! it rips through projectiles, and you can easily autocancel a short-hopped dair and attack immediately after landing. It's a great multi hit approach option, especially if you can end up behind your opponent.

Top Bottom