• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with an aggresive player as Fox

ItzzJak

Smash Rookie
hey guys!
So for the past couple of days I've been integrating various movements into my neutral game.
I've been running to my opponent and then rolling back,
Fox trot cancelling
Throwing out back airs
And doing empty hops.
But my training partner is aggresive and has no neutral game so he just runs up to me unphased by my movement and attacks me. Am I not throwing out enough moves? Do I need to improve my defensive play? If so then how?
Thanks a lot to who ever replies, cya!

Project_B

Smash Cadet
Your problem has nothing to do with tech skill, what you mentioned tells me that your movement is good. However, you will need to play more defensively against your training partner. Remember that even if your friend doesn't have neutral game, you still need to respect their attacks, which means that you should either foxtrot away then back, or you can use one of the best options in the game - shielding. I don't know if you have practiced power/perfect shielding, but it basically gives you a free punish on everything. Whether or not you have, just sitting in shield is very strong because even if your training partner throws out a move that you would have to respect, you can still dash forward and shield, giving you a frame advantage due to your opponent's move having some cooldown. For the fastest characters such as sheik, you may need to respect her aerials, but you will still get opportunities to punish with a nAir out of shield or even a shield grab if your opponent commits too hard, uses a grounded attack, or you read their approach. Be careful that you don't get dash grabbed or grabbed out of an empty hop though, mix up your defense by dodging or foxtrot canceling if your opponent catches on.

Another advantage that you get is the knowledge of how your partner approaches. Do they dash grab you as soon as the match starts? Do they dash attack you as you land? Once you know what your opponent will do on the aggressive, you can counter it. Remember that hitboxes will out prioritize grabs, and shielding stops dash attacks and will stop aerial approaches. There are some exceptions (e.g. Command grabs in the air) but this is generally true and you can figure out how to beat approaches for each different matchup as you go. Defensive play is very rewarding, and you can get lots of damage if you can both read your opponents approach and know Fox's, or any character's best options to punish.

That's all I can think of right now, so I hope you can use defensive play to your advantage as Fox. Keep practicing movement because it allows for mixups and can help you get the most out of whatever you do in a situation. Let me know if you need any more help, and sorry for the late reply.

ItzzJak

Smash Rookie
Your problem has nothing to do with tech skill, what you mentioned tells me that your movement is good. However, you will need to play more defensively against your training partner. Remember that even if your friend doesn't have neutral game, you still need to respect their attacks, which means that you should either foxtrot away then back, or you can use one of the best options in the game - shielding. I don't know if you have practiced power/perfect shielding, but it basically gives you a free punish on everything. Whether or not you have, just sitting in shield is very strong because even if your training partner throws out a move that you would have to respect, you can still dash forward and shield, giving you a frame advantage due to your opponent's move having some cooldown. For the fastest characters such as sheik, you may need to respect her aerials, but you will still get opportunities to punish with a nAir out of shield or even a shield grab if your opponent commits too hard, uses a grounded attack, or you read their approach. Be careful that you don't get dash grabbed or grabbed out of an empty hop though, mix up your defense by dodging or foxtrot canceling if your opponent catches on.

Another advantage that you get is the knowledge of how your partner approaches. Do they dash grab you as soon as the match starts? Do they dash attack you as you land? Once you know what your opponent will do on the aggressive, you can counter it. Remember that hitboxes will out prioritize grabs, and shielding stops dash attacks and will stop aerial approaches. There are some exceptions (e.g. Command grabs in the air) but this is generally true and you can figure out how to beat approaches for each different matchup as you go. Defensive play is very rewarding, and you can get lots of damage if you can both read your opponents approach and know Fox's, or any character's best options to punish.

That's all I can think of right now, so I hope you can use defensive play to your advantage as Fox. Keep practicing movement because it allows for mixups and can help you get the most out of whatever you do in a situation. Let me know if you need any more help, and sorry for the late reply.
Wow thank you so much! This was extremely helpful. Thank you for taking time out of your day to do this for me I really appreciate it. I'll definitely use this advice against my training partner next time we face. Thanks again

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
2 things I would say that help loads with dealing with aggressive players/characters is utilt out of shield and challenging certain hitboxes with dash attack. Outside of that playing super patient with your short hops and committing to wait for them to press a button for you to bair or punish helps a whole lot too.

Project_B

Smash Cadet
Oh, I forgot to mention that! Dash attack is a great move to use as fox to beat out aerials of a landing opponent or grabs. If you know how to instant dash attack, that can also help (Left stick forward to initiate a dash, then c-stick/right stick down right after). Up tilt starts behind you and has more range and damage behind Fox, so that is a great option after a turnaround or if your opponent ends up behind you.

Project_B

Smash Cadet
:urg: I am sorry for your loss... :urg:
.. ______________________....
/______________________/|....
|-----RIP in Pepperonis-------|/|....
|--------Fox McCloud-----------|/|....
|---Murdered by Masahiro---|/|....
|----Sakurai - who buffed-----|/|....
|--Sheik's Forward Air, and--|/|....
|-----left Luigi untouched-----|/|....
-------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Tenretsujin10

Smash Apprentice
Those kinds of movements are unnecessary if your opponent is just going to ignore them and go ham (and not considering defensive options.) Just play reactive, and punish your opponent for his/her mistakes/overaggression.

Top Bottom