• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dead thread

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Maybe it's just you. Star/screen KO's are still more frequently than blast at the top.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just you. Star/screen KO's are still more frequently than blast at the top.
Nope. As I recall, some others have actually tried to get Star KOs/Screen KOs, even on Training Mode. I looked at a site called GameFAQs about this type of thing. One person had only 4 Star KOs and 2 Screen KOs out of 110 attempts (that being Blast KOs at the top), if I'm remembering right.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Pretty sure that a patch made it impossible to get a screen/star KO in training. If you want one, then you have to play another mode.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure that a patch made it impossible to get a screen/star KO in training. If you want one, then you have to play another mode.
That's not the point. My point is that the Blast KOs at the top happen much more often now, no matter what mode is played.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Star KOs are still pretty frequent. There's clearly something off about his data.

Top screen blast KOs didn't even exist in previous games outside of multi-man modes; complaining about them normalizing it so all sides of the screen blast ko is pretty pointless.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Star KOs are still pretty frequent. There's clearly something off about his data.

Top screen blast KOs didn't even exist in previous games outside of multi-man modes; complaining about them normalizing it so all sides of the screen blast ko is pretty pointless.
Well, it's not just me. I'm sure others aren't happy about this type of thing either.

If this is to be patched in the future (and I'm not saying it will be patched), there should at least be an option to turn the Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off, and/or remove the Blast KOs at the top of the screen. In my opinion, Star KOs/Screen KOs being completely random (very rare) is just... unnatural.

No one else posted this type of thing since this game was being worked on at around 2012-2014. I guess no one had the guts to do it, so I decided to post this type of thing so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Even if it's pointless, I still have to stand up for others that aren't happy with this type of thing.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I already noticing this ever since Smash 4's early stage bro. So you are not alone...
Uh ok, first off I am with him that I notice that blast kos are now appearing on the top screen more often in Smash 4, previous games we only have Star and Screen ko(Which Star KOs are often beinh notorious for spending too much time on ko, which effects in time battles.)
Interestingly, in Brawl's early gameplay, blast kos also appear on the top screen.

This changes can be traced back to Little Mac's trailer. Gamexplain's analysis video did talk about that, was it meaning the Star and Screen KOs are being removed? Well, we got the gameplay at E3 2014, which seems that Star KOs, Screen KOs and Blast KO all occur on the top blast zone.

So I checked Smashwiki, a very useful Smash theme Wikipedia website. Try to go to Smashwiki if you have any questions about the game, want to know more about your favorite character, and other interesting trivias about this game.

Screen KO

A Screen KO (手前やられ, Forefront hurting) is a special type of KO which has a chance of occurring when characters are sent off the top blast line. Instead of being Star KO'd as usual, the character instead falls into the foreground and appears to crash into the screen before being KO'd. Whether a character is Star KO'd or Screen KO'd is random, though in the first three games, Screen KOs are considerably rarer than Star KOs; as a result, Screen KOs rarely involve two or more characters at once.

In Melee and Brawl, Screen KOs complete faster than Star KOs, which can, at times, affect gameplay. For example, when a character is KO'd by Jigglypuff's Rest, getting a Star KO means that the character will notrespawn fast enough to punish the sleeping Jigglypuff, due to the length of the Star KO animation. However, if a character is instead Screen KO'd, this provides them with significantly more time to potentially get a solid hit on the vulnerable Jigglypuff. The Screen KO's shorter duration can also influence the outcome of matches that have gone to a last stock situation. If both characters are KO'd off of the top at around the same time and one is Screen KO'd instead of Star KO'd, the Star KO'd player will win the match due to random chance and the lengthier animation. This time difference was fixed in Super Smash Bros. 4 to reduce randomness, although Screen KOs are slightly longer than Star KOs in said game.

In SSB4

In SSB4, the character hits the screen, then stays in place briefly before sliding down. As a direct result of this "pause", Screen KOs in SSB4 take longer to complete than in previous games, making it so that Screen KOs and Star KOs take almost equally as long to resolve. Additionally, Screen KOs and Star KOs are both disabled during the final seconds of a match - characters will simply create the usual colorful blast after crossing the blast line. Blast KOs over the upper blast line also occur more often than Star and Screen KOs, even if the match has no time limit or if it is in an early part of a timed match. Screen KO'd characters in SSB4 no longer make any vocal sounds when they hit the screen, though there is now a comical "thud" upon impact. The maximum amount of characters that can be Screen KO'd at one time is three.
"The Screen KOs are slightly longer than Star KOs in said game" can be shown in this video of mine:
Check the last part of this video.

Trivia
  • In SSB4, Shulk is the only character to hit the screen with his back facing the screen, showing any currently active Monado Art.
  • In SSB4, some characters have different Screen KOs between the 3DS and Wii U versions, namely Mario, Dr. Mario, Pit, Kirby, Pikachu and Pac-Man.
  • As of update 1.1.5, Screen KOs will never occur in SSB4's training mode.
Because of 3DS' hardware limitations, Mario, Dr.Mario,Kirby, and Pikachu's Screen KO are less realistic compare to the Wii U version where you really can see their face "stick" on the screen.

ALSO I want to point out if Screen KOs occur when the 3DS' 3D effect is on, the 3D effect will start to flat out a bit for a while until the screen ko animation is done.

Star KO

In Super Smash Bros. 4, Star KOs are no longer a certainty; the upper blast line will cause a normal KO explosion or a Star/Screen KO at random when crossed. Players launched at extremely high speeds will also prevent Star KOs from occurring. In addition, presumably to solve balance issues, Star KOs no longer occur near the end of a timed match. In Smash 64 and Melee, all playable characters have a voice clip for being Star KO'd (including Samus), while Olimar lacks one in Brawl; SSB4 later introduces more characters that remain completely silent when Star KO'd, with these being Mega Man, the Mii Fighters, Pac-Man, Villager and the wireframe version of Little Mac.
So I guess this pretty much answer your questions? If not just go check the website for more details.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
finally someone speaks up about the star/screen kos being rare! its about time! i miss them so much! why cant those kos at the top occur every time like in the previous games? its not fair!

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It sucks that star and screen KOs don't occur as often as the previous Smash games. I don't really like that blast KOs occurs more often when being launched to the upper blast line. What's worse is there are some stages like Skyloft, Delfino Plaza, etc. where star KOs does not occur at all, which I find disappointing.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
finally someone speaks up about the star/screen kos being rare! its about time! i miss them so much! why cant those kos at the top occur every time like in the previous games? its not fair!
Nobody seemed to have the guts to speak up about this, so I went ahead and made this thread to get people to see the problem with those KOs and have them patched on 1.1.7 in the future.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
It sucks that star and screen KOs don't occur as often as the previous Smash games. I don't really like that blast KOs occurs more often when being launched to the upper blast line. What's worse is there are some stages like Skyloft, Delfino Plaza, etc. where star KOs does not occur at all, which I find disappointing.
I honestly hope this problem gets patched on 1.1.7 in the future.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Nobody seemed to have the guts to speak up about this, so I went ahead and made this thread to get people to see the problem with those KOs and have them patched on 1.1.7 in the future.
well i hope the rare star/screen kos problem does get patched. otherwise im quitting this game for good.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
well i hope the rare star/screen kos problem does get patched. otherwise im quitting this game for good.
That seems like a very arbitrary reason to quit the game. It really isn't much of an actual problem to begin with since it's merely an aesthetic mechanic that does not affect gameplay directly (Jiggly being the exception).

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
That seems like a very arbitrary reason to quit the game. It really isn't much of an actual problem to begin with since it's merely an aesthetic mechanic that does not affect gameplay directly (Jiggly being the exception).
thats actually the reason why i played this game, solely for jigglypuff. rest is the best kill move, and now its not even worth it because of stupid blast kos. and im not playing any other character besides jiggly. again, if this doesnt get patched, then i want nothing to do with the game or any other smash game ever again, arbitrary or not. count me out. and i imagine certain people would quit the game too because of that.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
thats actually the reason why i played this game, solely for jigglypuff. rest is the best kill move, and now its not even worth it because of stupid blast kos. and im not playing any other character besides jiggly. again, if this doesnt get patched, then i want nothing to do with the game or any other smash game ever again, arbitrary or not. count me out. and i imagine certain people would quit the game too because of that.
What? You'd rather quit ALL the "Smash" games because of that, as if you didn't have any interest in playing them to begin with?

I mean, I'm not happy about the Star KOs/Screen KOs being very rare in "Smash 4", completely taking out the fun in getting those KOs frequently, as I usually did in previous "Smash" games for fun (and to this day, I still like to get Star KOs/Screen KOs for fun). But are you seriously going to quit all together?

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
What? You'd rather quit ALL the "Smash" games because of that, as if you didn't have any interest in playing them to begin with?

I mean, I'm not happy about the Star KOs/Screen KOs being very rare in "Smash 4", completely taking out the fun in getting those KOs frequently, as I usually did in previous "Smash" games for fun (and to this day, I still like to get Star KOs/Screen KOs for fun). But are you seriously going to quit all together?
ok maybe not all of them, but im serious about quitting smash 4.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
To be honest, I'd rather have no Star KOs/Screen KOs at all. They cause so many unfair losses just because someone gets a KO offstage but then dies before the Star KO animation is finished. I think it would make things less random if they were removed altogether.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I'd rather have no Star KOs/Screen KOs at all. They cause so many unfair losses just because someone gets a KO offstage but then dies before the Star KO animation is finished. I think it would make things less random if they were removed altogether.
Let me guess: Timed matches?

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Let me guess: Timed matches?
No, in fact. I am not referring to timed matches.

What I am saying is that it seems unfair that if Ness KOs someone off the top blast zone with PK Thunder 2 (his U-special) and he happens to be offstage after launching them, they can get saved by the Star KO animation since Ness will die first in that situation. In my opinion, once an opponent has gone out of the blast zone, they should be considered KOed. It's as simple as that.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
No, in fact. I am not referring to timed matches.

What I am saying is that it seems unfair that if Ness KOs someone off the top blast zone with PK Thunder 2 (his U-special) and he happens to be offstage after launching them, they can get saved by the Star KO animation since Ness will die first in that situation. In my opinion, once an opponent has gone out of the blast zone, they should be considered KOed. It's as simple as that.
Well, yes, that's true. That would be the case. I respect your opinion on that.

I just wish there was an option to turn Star KOs/Screen KOs on or off in the menu. That was my original idea for patch 1.1.7. But sadly, that won't be added. :( So now I'm hoping my new idea for this (the one I just put up above) will settle the debate once and for all. If you and everyone else is okay with playing timed matches with only upward Blast KOs (with the exception of Jigglypuff's Rest, which forces a Star KO/Screen KO only on-stage), then that's fine. But otherwise, good luck trying to convince anyone to put an option for that in the menu. I just want everyone to be happy when this problem is fixed on patch 1.1.7. Some people like Star KOs/Screen KOs, some people don't.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Regarding Star K.O.s and such, I'd love if Jigglypuff got a modifier so that onstage Rests always Star K.O. and offstage Rests never Star K.O., obviously, it wouldn't fix all of Jigglypuff's problems, but it'd be a nice fix to the nuisance of her getting punished for landing the move. It's beyond annoying to get a offstage Rest, and then watch yourself die before your opponent because only now does it decides to star K.O.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Star K.O.s and such, I'd love if Jigglypuff got a modifier so that onstage Rests always Star K.O. and offstage Rests never Star K.O., obviously, it wouldn't fix all of Jigglypuff's problems, but it'd be a nice fix to the nuisance of her getting punished for landing the move. It's beyond annoying to get a offstage Rest, and then watch yourself die before your opponent because only now does it decides to star K.O.
On-stage Rest (Star KO/Screen KO) and off-stage Rest (upward Blast KO)? Actually, I haven't thought about that. Off-stage Rests are usually very rare. I'll speak to KingJigglypuff about that.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Maybe program it like this: If the opponent has more than 1 stock left, they get star KO/screen KO. If they only have 1 stock left, they get blast zone KO.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Maybe program it like this: If the opponent has more than 1 stock left, they get star KO/screen KO. If they only have 1 stock left, they get blast zone KO.
I'm afraid that would still be random. The goal is to get rid of randomness on those KOs. I don't want people getting their happiness on the last Star KO/Screen KO taken away. I've seen some comments on YouTube where they said getting a Star KO/Screen KO would be satisfying because they can taunt during that, especially on the final KO. If anything, that'd make them frustrated, especially if one was doing a certain challenge that involved those KOs. Let's just stick with the idea I have. Besides, competitive players always seem to play in timed matches.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I just spoke to KingJigglypuff about that. None of those problems have been identified yet. Hopefully, they will be. We'll just have to be patient.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Please try not to double/triple post William5000000

Anyway, I think what they should do is to only have Star KO's active when there is more than one stock or minute left during a given match so as to not result into any unfair losses in case the player who caused the star ko accidentally gets knocked out before the animation finishes. (Which I think they sort of tried to do for Smash 4 if I recall from one of the PotD's). Either that, or just add an option to turn it on or off so whoever likes or dislikes it can choose between the two options accordingly....

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
Please try not to double/triple post William5000000

Anyway, I think what they should do is to only have Star KO's active when there is more than one stock or minute left during a given match so as to not result into any unfair losses in case the player who caused the star ko accidentally gets knocked out before the animation finishes. (Which I think they sort of tried to do for Smash 4 if I recall from one of the PotD's). Either that, or just add an option to turn it on or off so whoever likes or dislikes it can choose between the two options accordingly....
As I said above, I'm afraid that would still be random.

Again, I wish that option would be added. Sadly, that won't be added. :( So my new idea is mentioned at the very top.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I don't think you know what "random" means. Stop throwing it out like you know what you're talking about.
If the game is programmed to give a star ko when more than one stock is held, that's not random.

Your "idea" isn't any better either.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you know what "random" means. Stop throwing it out like you know what you're talking about.
If the game is programmed to give a star ko when more than one stock is held, that's not random.

Your "idea" isn't any better either.
Look, I just want everyone to be happy. Don't make this more complicated than it already is for people.

Speaking as such, have you even tried doing a certain challenge that involved a certain KO on that last stock? I certainly have, and it was already frustrating to begin with.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Look, I just want everyone to be happy. Don't make this more complicated than it already is for people.

Speaking as such, have you even tried doing a certain challenge that involved a certain KO on that last stock? I certainly have, and it was already frustrating to begin with.
i know what your talking about. you are referring to one of your 999% match/goal videos from smash 64. part of your goal was to end the match with a star ko on the last stock, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsUJ0UnsWqE
at 13:25

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
i know what your talking about. you are referring to one of your 999% match/goal videos from smash 64. part of your goal was to end the match with a star ko on the last stock, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsUJ0UnsWqE
at 13:25
...Dude! Did you really have to mention my... weird goal on this?? Ugh, I'm embarrassed now.

Anyway, I just thought of another idea just in case the idea I currently have doesn't work. What if a move off-stage from a character connects to that opponent (PK Thunder 2, as Xandercosm pointed out earlier), forcing an upward Blast KO? Same with Jigglypuff's Rest off-stage. What if that were to be programmed to do that off-stage for every character? Same thing with moves on-stage for every character, forcing a Star KO/Screen KO.

Xermo Xermo , I'm sorry if I was rude to you earlier. I was just being defensive. I didn't think of the idea I came up just now. But that's got to be better than an upward Blast KO on the last stock. I really, really hope you and everyone are okay with that idea. I don't like the randomness of those KOs any more than you do.

Last edited:

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
For those that didn't get my last comment on my new idea for patch 1.1.7, here it is:

- Off-stage moves for every character force upward Blast KOs (Jigglypuff's Rest, Ness' PK Thunder 2, et cetera).
- On-stage moves (ground/air) for every character force Star KOs/Screen KOs (Jigglypuff's Rest, et cetera).

No unfair losses = everyone happy.

Oh, and it's got to be in every stage.

As for my previous idea, scratch that. This one should be way better.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
- Off-stage moves for every character force upward Blast KOs (Jigglypuff's Rest, Ness' PK Thunder 2, et cetera).
- On-stage moves for every character force Star KOs/Screen KOs (Jigglypuff's Rest, et cetera)..
This could work. How would we get Nintendo to patch this though?

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
This could work. How would we get Nintendo to patch this though?
Beats me. But let's hope that more people will notice and refer this thread to Nintendo. I'm currently the only one speaking up about this. Maybe KingJigglypuff or any other will let Nintendo know.

Last edited:

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Beats me. But let's hope that more people will notice and refer this thread to Nintendo. I'm currently the only one speaking up about this. Maybe KingJigglypuff or any other will let Nintendo know.
i certainly hope that nintendo will get the message too.

Top Bottom