• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DDD doesn't seem to be at an advantage in an FFA.

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
I bought Brawl two days ago, finished SSE the day I got the game, and I've been loving DDD ever since. I can CG no problem, but that's only 1v1. When I try to play it online where it's a four person FFA, it seems my potential options are limited. Theoretically I can spam sideB from the edges and then play an offensive air game with whoever decides to jump, or I could just pick an edge and viciously defend it. Other than that, though, DDD can't really go on the offensive, from what I've seen. I'm sure to an extent it would depend on the characters as well.

Is there anything I can do it a FFA that won't result in me spamming Jet Hammer or throwing minions at people? I've tried quite a bit.

Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere in the Q&A. I couldn't find it.

(also: it seems in every online game I play there's some dude that tries to hide from the fights so he'll get the best score. Does this happen every time, or am I just unlucky?)

Coney

Smash Master
Nope, he's really not. I play with some really good people at my college lounge all the time and while I'd say I'm one of the best in 1v1 or 2v2, FFA games rarely go well for me when I'm DDD.

There's just not a lot you can do. A lot of DDD's moves have cooldown lag, which means that while they might be good for a smart DDD in 1v1 for zoning someone out (ftilt, dtilt, waddle toss, fair, tons of stuff) absolutely anyone else in an FFA can capitalize on the lag.

Trust me, don't play DDD for online FFA. In fact, don't play online at all.

EDIT - Come to think of it, a lot of really good 1v1 characters lose their abilities in the transition to FFA. I rarely see MK win FFA matches simply because he's so light and can't take three others pounding on him. Snake still does well, though...

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather not play online, really. But I can't always have friends to play with, so I do what I can. ):

I played a 2v2 earlier with me and Fox vs. MK and DK. Fox and MK starting duking it out in the air and I just started chain grabbing DK back and forth across Battlefield. It was enjoyable. It seems like if you have someone to watch your back, it's much easier.

7ACE7

Smash Apprentice
I've had a lot of practice playing with DDD in online ffa's. To be honest if you are playing stupid people with items then it's going to be freaking tough. But if you are playing no items(the right way to play) Then there are definitely a lot of things you can do. It was tough a first but now I win most of the time.

1. Avoid clutter. DDD is not very strong in close range. If you get stuck in a clump of three or four players you are going to get destroyed. DDD is such a big target that you will probably take the most damage.
2. Avoid chaingrabing. Chaingrabing is amazing in 1v1, but in ffa it's not very effective. If you start a chaingrab the other players catch on and attack you. Don't go chasing for grabs, you will get burned. Only seek a grab when you are near the edge so that you can throw him off the stage and try to gimp him with a bair. It is best to shield grab after an attack from your opponent.
3. Ground spacing. DDD Has good range on his tilt's and his projectile. Keep your opponent out of range with your waddle dees and your ftilt. If they get too close on the ground either shield grab, use dtilt or dodge roll. If they try to attack from above then hit them with a utilt.
4. Aerial game. DDD has a a strong aerial game. If they attack you in the air then just hit them with a bair. Utilize the range of your dair combined with your multiple jumps. When your opponent is below you use the jumps to fake them out. When they go for an attack jump and then hit them with a dair.
5. Don't use jet hammer. I'm not saying never use it, but it should probably be your least used attack.
6. Killng. Good players can see the fsmash coming. If you miss you are wide open for an attack. the only time I can see you using it is when you come back after losing a stock and you have invincibility for a few seconds. If the other players are distracted by each other then you can try it if you think you are safe. Preferably use utilt over usmash. You can use dsmash if you are going to be attacked from both sides but it's risky. You can try using it after a dgrab near the ledge(look up Buuman Trap).
7. Recovery. There isn't much you can do on recovery. If you are forced to use upB then you are wide open to get hit.

There's not much you can do when playing with an a55hole who runs away and only attacks when he has the chance to steal a frag. Those people are losers and cowards who have no friends and think that they are good. They live in a fantasy world and truly believe that they are a smash brothers character in real life. They are a cancer in online smash play and should pay justly for their crimes. Just ignore them. Just focus on getting better and eventually you will be good enough to destroy them. Unless you are playing on a gay stage like Hyrule Temple or New Pork City there are not many places they can hide.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Upb is now a kill option.
I'm taking up DDD as a secondary nao, and me and my friends have this group and we play Brawl all the time, and I usually want to do 1v1's and they all want FFA's (I can't really argue when it's like 10 to 1 in the argument) and just upB into the crowd of unsuspecting players, they don't seem to move. And definitely, definitely do not CG, there are 2 other people on the stage who will screw you up... (they respect me as the best in the group, so if there are 3 ppl, me included the other two fight to the death as i pimp out, since I usually have 3 lives left, 5 stock matches BTW)

wall of text, but this is just sharing an FFA experience.
And yes, when I'm winning I pimp out

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
So basically if I want to live without spamming, stay the crap away from FFA. Sounds reasonable.

I have a completely non-related question now.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a pivot grab is basically running right, turning left, and grabbing. That will grab anyone to your left. Or vice versa. Correct? Theoretically couldn't you infinite CG back and forth by making the last grab a pivot and then going all the way back across the stage?

If that won't work, what about throwing a roll in before you grab sometime during a CG?

UncleSam

Smash Master
So basically if I want to live without spamming, stay the crap away from FFA. Sounds reasonable.

I have a completely non-related question now.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a pivot grab is basically running right, turning left, and grabbing. That will grab anyone to your left. Or vice versa. Correct? Theoretically couldn't you infinite CG back and forth by making the last grab a pivot and then going all the way back across the stage?

If that won't work, what about throwing a roll in before you grab sometime during a CG?
though you are thinking in the right direction, it takes longer meaning more time to escape the CG

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Oh. So there's absolutely no way you can reverse the direction of a CG?

I didn't really think that would work. If it were that simple, someone would have thought of it.

Is there a way to drop someone straight out of a grab without them pulling away from you?

7ACE7

Smash Apprentice
No you don't have to avoid FFA if you play DDD and you can live without spamming. Sure its tough but its totally doable. Obviously I have an easier time in FFA using a character like Gdub or MK, but don't shy away from using DDD. Using DDD in FFA is really good practice. I think the thing I learned most from it was how to stay alive at ridiculously high percents. If they can't kill you then they can't beat you. If you practice what I suggested you will eventually start to dominate FFAs.

Upb is now a kill option.
Only bad players fall for that.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
FFA with the Great King is...interesting. Do NOT get caught in a clump!!!! This is imperative! Dedede's too big, every single attack in a crunch of char is gonna hit him. Play smart, he certainly isn't the worst choice for free for alls. He can punish multiple people at once!! >:-) But yes, he definitely does better in 1 v. 1.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I dunno about you, but I reck in FFA's with DeDeDe. Waddle spam, surprise Fsmash kills, grab combos (holding someone as a meat shield for a Falcon Punch ftw) is too good.

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
Dedede is not good in free for alls. You can't space, someone will ruin your chaingrab, Spamming waddle dee's is annoying and makes you look like a loser. The only real redeemable thing i can think of. If they clutter you, use a dsmash. It covers all around you, has ok range, and isn't too long to start and stop.

If you have for people, try to do team matches. Dedede rocks on teams.

Oddly enough I don't have as much trouble in groups of three. You can usually space because it isn't as chaotic. When you do a chain grab, the person you aren't facing will probably won't interrupt and might even start charging an attack to finish your chain grab. It's always fun double teaming on someone. Just learn to be nice and not a target to others. Also, you usually don't have to worry about people coming from everywhere.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I've never heard of someone spamming Jet Hammer before lol! It's not possible unless if your opponent just started playing the game.
Going offensively: Do a reverse aerial rush with back airs. His forward air has more lag and it's not as efficient.

Top Bottom