• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DD help

Silver Sytos

Smash Apprentice
I need some tips with my dash dancing. I know it helps with spot dodging, but whenever I try to snap the control stick back and forth something always goes wrong, like I dash left and then when I snap right I just do the really slow turnaround. It'd be really helpful if i could get some tips, and if there is a rhythm involved >.> Sorry for such a newb question. :p

Zone

Smash Champion
Well, What character? some characters dash dance is so short its nearly almost useless to use. I suggest just smash left and right really fast adn slowing down the pace u do it at until u see ur char turn around real slow. when they turn real slow u'll know u ran too far to U-turn

Or you know how u hit right kinda hard to dash? Well if u hit it and let go they'll dash a certain distance kinda. That kinda sets a end limit. If you run one direction way too long it isn't gonna work.

I normally only dash dance if i'm trying to follow someone's tech after I throw Captain falcon up with Marth cuz he can roll left right or stay in place. or if I pivot grab falco while chain grabbing cuz he DI'd kinda into my char.

I dunno why i added that last few sentences... too lazy to delete it all lol >.>;

anyways i saw no one answered yet so i'd give my word on it.

pdk

Smash Lord
some chars like sheik require you to twirl the stick like a madman to get results

Vist

Smash Champion
zone pretty much explained it but i'll try saying it too..

You can only really dash dance during the initial part of the dash animation. If you try to turn around after the initial animation, you will turn around slowly. Some characters have short initial dash animations, so you will have to start running in the other direction sooner to avoid getting stuck in that slow turn-around animation (Example: Sheik).

Normally you do not want to just slam the control stick back and forth. Doing the dash dance quickly does not have a whole lot of uses because you're pretty much standing in the same spot. So like Zone said, you want to run as far as you can to one direction before the initial dash animation ends and then turn around and repeat. You should, however, mix things up and shorten your dash movements depending on the situation to throw your opponent off or capitalize on a open moment etc.

If you end up dashing beyond the initial dash animation, you can wavedash in whichever direction and you'll be immediately able to dash/ dash dance again.
You can also hold down to cancel your dash then start dash dancing from there. Btw, canceling your dash by holding down only works after the initial dash animation.

Here's an example of using the dash-dancing in a game (I believe it's an example of spot-dodging, but i've never really heard that term before):

You are Marth and your opponent is Falco. You begin to dash dance back and forth with long strides. Falco full-jumps and it seems he is going to fast-fall and come down with a dair (ada). You (Marth) run up to falco, being in range for his attack. You then run away as Falco comes down with the dair and run back and grab him as he lands. Falco misses the attack and you now can begin to chain throw etc.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom