• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Item Toss Cancelled Item Throw

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah, I tried hitting the C-Stick in other directions and it seems up is the only direction that gets these results.
You can throw forward with a very specific diagonal angle on the control stick. It is too difficult to be consistent, harder than Brawl and it was already somewhat tricky there. I think Link still has a glitch where it's easier to throw it forward. I asked the Link Boards last November and it's still old tech to them.

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
You can throw forward with a very specific diagonal angle on the control stick. It is too difficult to be consistent, harder than Brawl and it was already somewhat tricky there. I think Link still has a glitch where it's easier to throw it forward. I asked the Link Boards last November and it's still old tech to them.
Yup, Link can throw it in all directions just like in Brawl. We call them bombslides and personally I can do forward consistently. That's the most useful direction of bombslide as this gives enough extra distance for Link to actually true combo on the bomb hits with with Zair, Fair, Nair, Up Tilt, etc.

Anyways this is just an item DACUS.

I can confirm the timing is different for Megaman as I just tried it. I could not get a single forward item DACUS to work. I don't think it should be harder to execute the forward variation for Megaman but the timing is different.

When it comes to item DACUS you need to time the dash and then time the throw itself along with holding the direction to control it. Having use to main Link in Brawl and Project M I imagine Links are just more used to DACUS in general and are more practiced in this. It probably shouldn't be any easier for us to execute.

Edit: I should probably add the forward variation of bombslide for Links is significantly harder than the up variation. It took me weeks to do it consistently and even now I still have occasional misses. The tip for anyone trying this is to consider remapping their control to do this easier or to do the inputs differently.

Last edited:

Miley

Smash Cadet
What's the timing on this like for mew2? I can get it to work sometimes but fail most of the time

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I've only managed to the :GCR: (Tap) > :GCA:(Hold) > :GCU:(hold) + :GCB: method once at full speed on 3DS. The timing on that is really hard to figure out. Does anyone have a video of the timing so that I have reference to practice with?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
There is... so much wrong... in this thread. I couldn't read it all. It was hurting me.

If you want to learn all about boost tossing, which has been around since forever, have a look in the smash dictionary, specifically look up the Link specific jargon and all the variations of what the Links call 'Bombsliding'. It is by no means a complete write-up as it wasn't meant to be, but so far it seems to be the best one out there for some reason. Ignore pretty much anything else said in this thread.

Last edited:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
There is... so much wrong... in this thread. I couldn't read it all. It was hurting me.

If you want to learn all about boost tossing, which has been around since forever, have a look in the smash dictionary, specifically look up the Link specific jargon and all the variations of what the Links call 'Bombsliding'. It is by no means a complete write-up as it wasn't meant to be, but so far it seems to be the best one out there for some reason. Ignore pretty much anything else said in this thread.
With the recent wave of criticism of this thread, I would like to make it perfectly clear that my intentions with this thread was to just get some seemingly new information out and not "make the hottest new AT" or anything silly like that. I thought this was really interesting and new and wanted to see who else could perform the monster slide with similar results. I was ignorant that this has been a tech for some time. I did take some effort to find if it had been recorded elsewhere, but that fell through given the different naming tendancies this AT has surrounding it. I apologize.

That said I still think this thread has some reasonable use to it for the reasons that:
  • This AT is not widely used or widely known outside of a handful of characters in Smash 4. I think the reaction of "wow, that Mega Man sliding is awesome!" from people who aren't aware of this shows that.
  • I have not yet found a resource that lists characters that benefit heavily from it.
If there's some part of the OP you'd like me to change to be less wrong / painful, I'd be open to instructions. If you'd like, I can convert this information you have listed on bomb sliding into more character general specific instructions and include it in the OP. I'm most interested here in creating a useful resource.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If there's some part of the OP you'd like me to change to be less wrong / painful, I'd be open to instructions. If you'd like, I can convert this information you have listed on bomb sliding into more character general specific instructions and include it in the OP.
And by 'convert' do you mean copy paste what I wrote in the dictionary and then change the words 'bomb' and 'Link' to 'item' and 'character' respectively?

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
And by 'convert' do you mean copy paste what I wrote in the dictionary and then change the words 'bomb' and 'Link' to 'item' and 'character' respectively?
I mean, it is the same AT so the instructions will be similar but I had no intentions of lazily plagiarizing what you'd wrote. You've written some great instructions and all I think I'd add to it would be direct button inputs and maybe some troubleshooting tips learning the AT based on what results come from flubbed attempts. Would you like me to do that? Would you want me to change anything else with the thread?

Additionally, I'm sorry if my last post or this one have sounded confrontational in tone. I'm not trying to, I just want to make the thread better quality.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I mean, it is the same AT so the instructions will be similar but I had no intentions of lazily plagiarizing what you'd wrote. You've written some great instructions and all I think I'd add to it would be direct button inputs and maybe some troubleshooting tips learning the AT based on what results come from flubbed attempts. Would you like me to do that? Would you want me to change anything else with the thread?

Additionally, I'm sorry if my last post or this one have sounded confrontational in tone. I'm not trying to, I just want to make the thread better quality.
Of course I would appreciate it if you went to the effort of making the OP technically correct. You are of course free to do so. You don't need my permission to do so. I had actually hoped that by referring you to what I had written in the smash dictionary that you would realise where the OP is wrong or incomplete and fix it. So long as this thread doesn't become a source of misinformation I'd be happy.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
The OP's been updated with more information on execution as well as how to execute a Fake Out DITCIT courtesy of the info from @ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive . I'm aware of the existence of a forward tossing DITCIT and have seen instructions for them, but I'd like more time consistantly doing it myself before I update the OP with instructions

Yup, Link can throw it in all directions just like in Brawl. We call them bombslides and personally I can do forward consistently. That's the most useful direction of bombslide as this gives enough extra distance for Link to actually true combo on the bomb hits with with Zair, Fair, Nair, Up Tilt, etc.

Anyways this is just an item DACUS.

I can confirm the timing is different for Megaman as I just tried it. I could not get a single forward item DACUS to work. I don't think it should be harder to execute the forward variation for Megaman but the timing is different.

When it comes to item DACUS you need to time the dash and then time the throw itself along with holding the direction to control it. Having use to main Link in Brawl and Project M I imagine Links are just more used to DACUS in general and are more practiced in this. It probably shouldn't be any easier for us to execute.

Edit: I should probably add the forward variation of bombslide for Links is significantly harder than the up variation. It took me weeks to do it consistently and even now I still have occasional misses. The tip for anyone trying this is to consider remapping their control to do this easier or to do the inputs differently.
Except this isn't a DACUS, don't call it that.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
They're both wrong...
Yoshi and Brawler can do it while Sword can't.
And the twitter guy was wrong about Diddy, Mac and C Falcon being able to do it. I haven't tested everyone; only the ones they disagreed on. It's possible that these last three were there for what was seen as a very minor slide, but I don't see why they were added.

Last edited:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
The timing on Mii Swordfighter's DITCIT is strange, but he certainly has one. It goes a middling length. Mii Swordfighter can also do a DITCIT Fake Out.

Yoshi definitely does have one, I'll correct that.

Mii Brawler slides an unearthly distance just normally throwing an item upwards. It seems to vary depending at what time you start the dash. I don't see any difference between that and his DITCIT and it leads me to believe I might just be performing one of the longer normal item throws instead of his DITCIT.

Diddy, CF, and Mac still don't seem to have one. They do slide a long ways doing a normal throw up while running.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
The timing on Mii Swordfighter's DITCIT is strange, but he certainly has one. It goes a middling length. Mii Swordfighter can also do a DITCIT Fake Out.

Yoshi definitely does have one, I'll correct that.

Mii Brawler slides an unearthly distance just normally throwing an item upwards. It seems to vary depending at what time you start the dash. I don't see any difference between that and his DITCIT and it leads me to believe I might just be performing one of the longer normal item throws instead of his DITCIT.

Diddy, CF, and Mac still don't seem to have one. They do slide a long ways doing a normal throw up while running.
You're right about Sword having one only that it's a weird slightly delayed timing. Maybe add that info in the OP.

Brawler definitely has one even if normal U-throw is already insane. For example I'm able to do the backwards toss variation.

I would agree that the three extra ones the twitter guy mentioned were likely just mistakes.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Cool. Thanks for the confirmation guys. I've actually gotten into debate with a friend about the two list.

It isn't an item DACUS either. It isn't an item dash attack cancelled up smash. Nobody should call it that. That's almost as bad as everyone calling everything a wavedash *cough perfect pivoting*

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
It isn't an item DACUS either. It isn't an item dash attack cancelled up smash. Nobody should call it that. That's almost as bad as everyone calling everything a wavedash *cough perfect pivoting*
It's the same inputs which is why people have called it that.... The first time I ever learned of it was through a DACUS video where it was pointed out that you can do a DACUS with items, an item DACUS to slide during the throw.

A wavedash doesn't have anything to do with pivoting. Calling it an item DACUS still explains the execution so of course it's not nearly as bad.

I'll point out again as a Link main we don't even call it that.

Joshua Arizmendi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Arizmendi_HQ
Does your C stick have to be set to Smash Attack? I have mine on Tilt and tried the AB Smash method and it isn't working, but if I have it set to smash attack it works fine?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Does your C stick have to be set to Smash Attack? I have mine on Tilt and tried the AB Smash method and it isn't working, but if I have it set to smash attack it works fine?
You're a Link main yeah? Do yourself a favour, forget everything you think you know about this tech because most of it is wrong to some degree (including this thread still), and read the 'bombslide' write-up which can be found here https://smashboards.com/threads/the-comprehensive-guide-to-links-ats.400585/
But for the record, of course it doesn't matter if you have a c-stick or an a-stick if you're using the A+B input method. Just so long as 'tap-jump' is turned off and 'A+B=smash' is turned on. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I know this is a pretty big necro, but where do DLC characters figure in this? I didn't see Corrin in this list, and having a tech like this could really help since the character has trouble in the mobility department.

Top Bottom