• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dash grab vs. jc grab in CGs

pockyD

Smash Legend
i just looked at mew2king's statistics compilation today and it says that ICs standing grab and dash grab both start on the 7th frame

so am i correct to assume that it's better to use the dash grab instead of the jc grab in the "guaranteed" CGs (i.e. dthrow on sheik) because you can generally expect the grab to succeed (especially with the longer range of the dash grab) such that the extra 10 frames of lag are irrelevant (similar to how peach players use dash-grab in their fast faller uthrow chains)?

sorry about going parentheses crazy, i have problems crystallizing my thoughts coherently

pockyD

Smash Legend
what do you mean "to me its faster"? if the grab comes out on the same frame, how can it be faster for one person but not to another?

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
Its possible, but to be more blunt what i said up there meaning the lag time of a grab and a jc grab when u miss. When i do a normal dash grab the lag of the move gets me hit all the time so i rarely dg, while jc grabs, the lag isn't that long so i have plenty of time to block my opponents attack. Hope this helps u pockyd.

mathis4dorkz

Smash Cadet
why have i never heard of dash cancelled grabs?

isnt there something called grunt grabs? where you cancel it out with a neutral A before hand or something. haha idk!

pockyD

Smash Legend
why have i never heard of dash cancelled grabs?

isnt there something called grunt grabs? where you cancel it out with a neutral A before hand or something. haha idk!
you're thinking of boost grabs, and they're only effective for a few characters (characters with a fast dash attack startup animation iirc), the ICs not being one of them

also i don't know what you mean by dash cancelled grabs... are you talking about the JC grabs or what? the other grab i was referring to was the plain old dash grab (dash, then press z)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
a boost grab is a JC grab

no such thing as a dash cancelled grab, grabs cannot cancel the dash animation (sorry)

link and y. link do not have dash grabs

ICs, it doesn't matter really, since you're wavedashing, a normal grab is fine, when CT, i use the dash grab only cause it's easier

pockyD

Smash Legend
boost grabs and jc grabs are very different; once again, boost grabs are basically doing the very start of a dash attack and then switching to a dash grab, gaining any extra distance from the very very start of the dash attack (effective with fox, sheik, etc.); jc grabs are pressing jump immediately before trying to grab out of a dash such that you cancel the jump with the grab and you end up doing standing grab instead of dash grab

link and ylink do indeed have dash grabs; the dash grabs come out slower and lag more at the end

and i just used "grab" like 80 times in this post

Top Bottom