• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dash dancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
alright, this is straight copy and pasted from my mbr post. i'll add some stuff setsuna talked about also.
--------------
tell me what you guys think, alright?

dash dancing: running back and forth (dashing) very quickly and using the cloud and your dash animation to confuse your opponents.

i got the idea for this from watching setsuna's pichu at the dallas akon. it's easier with some
characters than with others. i think the factors that affect it are: dash length, weight, and traction.

some characters like to jump out of the dash if you do the dash dance, so that's why i put in the weight, but i'm really not sure.

other characters have very confusing looking ones. this is due to their animation and/or their
cloud cover.

why use this? well, it's good to confuse people with. every one i said had a very good dash dance
will make it confusing for your opponent to figure out where you're going to end up. you can do that to confuse them: are you going to run towards them or away? if towards is it to attack, grab, jump, fake out, what? this is basically used to throw off your enemies' game.

some terms that i'll use in this post:
dash cloud: when you dash, there's a little cloud behind you. this varies from character to character. some are slightly larger, some are slightly more opaque. the larger and more opaque the better the cloud cover. i'll also refer to this as a cloud.

dash animation: the way it looks if you just tap the stick and make them run, but stop.
some characters have very long dash animations, some have very short ones. i'll also refer to this
as just plain dash.

turn around: when you dash, but continue running then try to turn around. this is normally
affected by your traction. the better you have the faster you turn around. some characters also
have a stop (the main one that comes to mind is dr. mario) when you turn around, slowing it
down even more.

short stepping it: there's two (or three) ways to dash dance. the first is to wait until the
very end of the animation then turn and dash again. this will be long stepping it. the other is just around the middle before turning and dashing. the other is almost immediately turning and dashing constantly. this is short stepping it. short stepping is the preffered method since it gives the most cloud cover and what not.

i think that's it. if anyone gets confused, just tell me.

now, the characters and the feed back that i got. (all testing took place on fd. simple enough.)

dr. mario: a decent dash dance. if you whiff he won't slide, but he'll stop before turning around. pretty easy to do, but hard to short step. he doesn't jump out of it much, but he tends to run out some.

mario: very good dash dance. it's easy to short step and his cloud is a good size. his dash is a good length and his turn around is good if you whiff.

luigi: decent dash dance. his lack of traction that makes wave dashing so good for him
makes it dangerous to whiff with him. he doesn't jump all that much, even when short stepping
it.

bowser: not so good. he jumps when he dashes and he has no cloud so it;s easy to see
through it. on the plus side it's easy to do. but don't plan on confusing your opponent too much.

peach: very good dash dance. it's easy to do due to her starting skip. she has a small frame
so her dash cloud covers her well and. easy to short step it.

yoshi: he has a small dash cloud but easy to short step. he doesn't tend to run or jump out
of it.

dk: very good. looks like he's doing constant half rolls. this makes up for his lack of a cloud. easy to do, and you can make it confusing with the short step.

falcon: pretty average dash dance. he has a fast stop and turn around so whiffing's not so
bad. his dash cloud, though, is pretty small and transparent so you don't have very good cover,
even with short step.

g-dorf: he has a small dash cloud, but his size makes him look like a jumbled mess, so
that's where your cover is. therefore, short step it (it's easy to short step with him, though.)

falco: very good. small frame and a nice cloud. his dash is short, but it's pretty easy to do the dance with him. you still need pretty fast reflexes (but i'm guessing that all you falco/fox
freaks have to have fast fingers...) he won't jump or run out of it that much.

fox: almost as good as falco's, but his longer dash makes him more likely to run or jump
out of it.

ness: very good. long dash animation, good traction, stays on the ground pretty well, and
doesn't run off. his cloud's a good size and he's small so he has good cover. easy to use and
confuse your opponents with.

ice climbers: not so good with nana. she likes to confuse you by not dash dancing
and screwing up your cloud cover. a lone popo works better (takes him about to an average). he
likes to jump and has bad traction on non-slippery surfaces so a whiff can cost you.

kirby: small, semi-transparent dash cloud makes for bad cover, but he short steps well.
comes out to about average. he has decent traction so a whiff won't hurt and he won't jump out all that much.

samus: very good. she runs standing up so when you short step it (which is pretty easy) she
looks like she's almost standing still (almost) with the cloud on either side. she doesn't jump or
continue running all that much, either.

zelda: pretty crappy. she has a short dash, she likes to jump or run out of it, and you pretty much have to short step it. it's not all that easy to short step it either. she runs standing up, and that's her only upside...

shiek: and unlike zelda, shiek has a very good dash dance. long dash, good stop, and good
cloud cover help; but the clincher is the animation. she runs ducking down, but stands up on the turn around so when you do a short step it can look like three shieks at once.

link: crappy, crappy, crappy. he has a short dash, the dash is slow on top of that, runs
standing up, and has a bad turnaround. don't do this. it doesn't suit him at all.

young link: very good. he has a longer dash and decent speed. his small size gives him good cover. short step it and you can easily lose him in the cloud.

picu: the rat that got the idea stuck in my head. (thanks to setsuna, once again.) decent
length for a dash, small size and nice cloud. but s/he likes to jump and run out of it. if you can
actually manage to short step it you can lose the rat in the cloud, but it's difficult to do.

pikachu very good. small size, good dash, good cloud. if you happen to whiff, he has a good
turnaround. he doesn't jump or run out of it all that much, either.

jigglypuff: short dash. you can pretty much only short step it, though. but she's small and her cover's pretty good. if you can manage to short step well, her animation helps as she ducks
when she dashes then stands up to turn. (it'll look something like jp standing there with the
clouds.)

game and watch: decent. his small size is good, but you need to wait a bit to start the turn
and dash. he has a small dash animation, though, so it's somewhat confusing. you'll end up pretty
much only short stepping it.

mewtwo: crappy. worse than link's. he takes forever to dash and then the cloud appears
late, and it's slow. you're better off doing constant rolls to confuse your opponent.

marth: decent dash dance. it's pretty hard to do since he likes to take off quick, but has bad traction. he also jumps/runs out of it alot. if you whiff, you'll get punished since he has such bad turnaround. you need to short step it (hard to do) to take advantage of his ducking into his cloud.

roy: now, while marth's is so-so, roy's is very good. he won't jump or run out of it much,
he has good traction so a whiff isn't that dangerous, and he's easy to short step with. and if you can short step well you'll end up with three roy's, just like with shiek.

i think that should cover it all. comments anyone?
---------------
alright, setsuna made a few replies in my post back there (mbr) and he says that link has the best options out of a dash dance. he has three projectiles, a long grab, and smashes like whoa.

personally i don't know. this doesn't fool the comps because they'll just rush you and grab you or something. but i tried it against a few people (not very good though) and they were confused. so it's mainly a confusion move to make someone think twice about you.

also: you can slowly move in one direction by controlling how long you dash in one direction (i.e.: short left, longer right, short left, longer right, etc... will make you move to the right slowly.)

alright. this probably isn't as good as the dodge n' drop, but hey.

Orlando, Florida. I know karate. Stalking is out
Wow, Im shocked and amazed. I actually already do something that Cory Made up! This is a very useful technique in the long run if you couple it with wavedashing. I think an interesting setup for any type of OCBT would be Dash dancing back and forth quickly, then while your back is turned facing the otherway from your opponent, wavedash backwards, then roll backwards out of your wavedash. I do this all the time to confuse my enemy. I like to call it WaveDancing ^_~ (Took both names and fused em together) Also another interesting thing to do is just BLAST out of your DD and do a dashing A. Its so unexpected it you dash at somebody, the duck (To stop your run and go into "neutral") then do a DD back and forth once or twice and blast out of the cloud animation with a Dashing A. It works quite nicely and sets up great juggles/ OCBT's for those characters who have Dashing A's that Float the opponent. :cool:

-R.H.R.

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
no offense there cory, i love your posts, but dash dancing is useless. i had no idea what you meant and then i figured it out and found that i already used it to fool around. it doesn't make the opponent think or anything, it just gives them an oppurtunity (spl?)

supersmashboy

Smash Lord
You realize, Mista Sinista, that this probably doesn't work on computer opponents(haven't tried) because they don't think. If you're talking about actual people, either you haven't really tried it on people or the guys/girls you have played with don't think very much.

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
no no, i guess it could work against a human, it's just the person i play with has seen it already and does it too. sometimes we do that instead of a taunt, or when we're far away cause we just got hit by something, and we do it to fool around, so now if i actually wanna screw him up i can't

EDIT - ok, whoever has seen the movies from the topic CRAZY JAPANESE FIGHT O_O or whatever, can you answer this question? in the corneria fight, when the red falco koes the white one, does he dash dance or does he do a fox trot, wavedash repeat?

<small>[ June 21, 2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Mista Sinista ]</small>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom