• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dash dancing - not for everyone?

hilaxial

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to help my friend improve his game by incorporating dash dancing to play more mindgames, but he says it's ********, citing that some people like aniki don't use it at all. he plays link. but he doesn't dash dance with fox, either. how do i argue this one? is dash dancing not useful for every character?

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
it's not as great as people think.

it's more character dependent than we make it out to be.

it's not useful if you do it for more than like 3 back and forths.

it is not a mindgame itself, like some people make it sound like it is.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Well i did watch a video where i fox made someone miss three grabs in a row by dash dancing right out of range of the grab

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I dash dance sometimes but then I forget to react [grab, run away, approach, you name it] which usually ends up with someone getting a free hit off of me.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Dash dancing is not flashy at all. It's actually a very useful technique. But just make sure you're not just slamming the control stick back and forth extremely fast (some people do this), but actually slow down the tempo so you cover more space.

Watch these two vids, they are compilations of Ken using dash dancing very well and in the right situations.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hYcGLvx7XkE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dtSVAr-X9FM

pdk

Smash Lord
too bad for him then, just let him ignore it if he wants to

ripkirby

Smash Cadet
DD is for spacing.
If you want your friend to learn how to use it, own him with it.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Dash dancing tends to be more useful if you have a good

a) upsmash
b) grab
c) dash attack... maybe.

or if you can pivot consistently.

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
yeah I've seen a few clips of people who were really good at pivoting and the dding was extremely affective. Also, I have seen people use it as a mind game when someone is trying to recover, but their are usually better edge guarding techniques.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
It's a great idea to be able to incorporate DDing into your game, but don't just throw it in. If you're going to DD, make sure that you figure out how to do so effectively. If your friend just starts DDing, he'll just get hit. He'll be like "this sucks" and he'll never do it again. It's probably happened already. Like anything, you've got to use DDing properly. And it's better to never DD, than dd like a fool and get punished.

I still think the best idea would be for him to learn to dd properly, though. I dunno how much DDing helps Link, though.

pdk

Smash Lord
wayland basically summed it up, this is another case of SWFers misunderstanding the concept of mindgames and thinking it's as concrete as wavedashing over and over

Banks

Smash Hero
dash dancing is actually a mindgame, and people saying its not dont really know what its used for. The real use for dash dancing is to coax an attack or a reaction such as spot dodging, or to simply make them approach you. for example, lets say theres some who spot dodges everytime you go in for a grab, if you do one dash dance while they spot dodge and then go in, its the quickest way to get over something like that. however, some people dash dance for no reason, just to do it because they think it messes people up. but it only works if you use it for something. as for link, I guess in reality you dont need to use it much, because you can spam projectiles, but it can still be used in some situations such as tech chasing when you arent sure which way they are going and want to mind fux with them. but yea its a useful tactic that should be learned, but not overused

hilaxial

Smash Cadet
i'd agree with that. dding in front of link just gets me bombed. maybe its more useful for mindgames with close combat characters. dd camping also gets me spanked by characters with good aerials when they jump in at me. can't react in time = free knee, sheik fair, etc

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
-_-

Dash dancing is not flashy at all. It's actually a very useful technique. But just make sure you're not just slamming the control stick back and forth extremely fast (some people do this), but actually slow down the tempo so you cover more space.

Watch these two vids, they are compilations of Ken using dash dancing very well and in the right situations.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hYcGLvx7XkE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dtSVAr-X9FM

pockyD

Smash Legend
i'd agree with that. dding in front of link just gets me bombed. maybe its more useful for mindgames with close combat characters. dd camping also gets me spanked by characters with good aerials when they jump in at me. can't react in time = free knee, sheik fair, etc
i don't know who you play, but pivot fsmash will wreck all of that for a lot of characters

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Dash-dancing is useful for all characters to some extent, but more useful to those who

1) have a fast initial dash animation
2) have a long initial dash duration
3) have good aerials (dash-dancing lets you launch any aerial in either direction almost instantly)
4) have a good up-smash (can JC into it from dash dance)
5) have a good dash grab
6) have useful pivoted attacks (Marth)
7) have a decent over-B or up-B (can use from dash dance)

Fox meets 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Captain Falcon meets 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7. Marth meets 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. Pichu meets 1, 2, and 4. Etc. Requirements 1 and 2 also determine if the character has a decent foxtrot, which is useful as an extension of dash dancing.

Dash dance is useful for Ice Climbers because you can desynch from it.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
Dash-dancing is useful for all characters to some extent, but more useful to those who

1) have a fast initial dash animation
2) have a long initial dash duration
3) have good aerials (dash-dancing lets you launch any aerial in either direction almost instantly)
4) have a good up-smash (can JC into it from dash dance)
5) have a good dash grab
6) have useful pivoted attacks (Marth)
7) have a decent over-B or up-B (can use from dash dance)

Fox meets 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Captain Falcon meets 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7. Marth meets 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. Pichu meets 1, 2, and 4. Etc. Requirements 1 and 2 also determine if the character has a decent foxtrot, which is useful as an extension of dash dancing.

Dash dance is useful for Ice Climbers because you can desynch from it.
very good.

freddy 22

Smash Rookie
I think dash dancing is a good tech to use if you have a good dash throw. Once you dash dance a certain amount of times then your oppenent tries to counter it and then you stop and you have the upper hand.

Top Bottom