• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash dancing help needed!

Station

Smash Cadet
I'm new to competitive melee and I'm having trouble consistently dash dancing at a high speed as Captain Falcon for more than a second or two, I can dash dance at much lower speeds; essentially as slow as I imagine dash dancing can get.

Will dash dancing at lower speeds work or do I really need to be dash dancing fast to play the character effectively?

gravy

Smash Ace
The dash dance isn't about how fast you can do it, it's about how well you can control where you are and use this to condition people.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Learn to adjust the speeds and distance at will. Then learn to be able to do whatever you want out of the dash dance whenever you need to.

Dash dancing is about tricking opponents, baiting out attacks, and finding openings. Any speed/distance will do, really. It's more about making it look convincing.

Aggromidget

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to competitive melee and I'm having trouble consistently dash dancing at a high speed as Captain Falcon for more than a second or two, I can dash dance at much lower speeds; essentially as slow as I imagine dash dancing can get.

Will dash dancing at lower speeds work or do I really need to be dash dancing fast to play the character effectively?
First of all, I don't believe that dash dashing should be your go-to thing to do in the neutral game (the situational positioning where no-one has an advantage). However, it is also necessary to learn.
Also, there is no perfect speed for dash dancing. You should mix up how quickly you do it, resulting in you being unpredictable.

How to dash dance (beginner style):
1. First, begin by standing still
2. Tap the control stick left/right as quickly as possible, returning the stick to the natural position.

So, here, you've just dashed left/right. In the distance Captain Falcon just ran, all of it was dashing. None of it was running. Since you performed a dash (instead of a run), you can repeat Step 2, dashing in the other direction. This technique allows you to tap the controller whenever you want and still dash dance.

3. Repeat step 2.

Keep in mind step 2 - tapping as quickly as possible, returning the stick to the natural position.

gravy

Smash Ace
Make sure you can dash to the max distance, get familiar with that distance because it's godlike for falcon.

Station

Smash Cadet
Instead of making a new thread I figured I'd ask in this one...

Is there anyway to tell if I'm fast falling Captain Falcons fair? You see I've had to result to fast falling late as if I fast fall too early the knee just ends up not activating its attack frames before I touch the ground but
as I'm now fast falling later I'm finding it harder to tell whether I'm actually fast falling at all.

Also any advice regarding fast falling Falcons fair would be appreciated.

Also thanks for the previous feedback it's put my mind at rest.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Do you use the C-stick for your aerials? Try using the C-stick, I believe that might help you with your knee troubles. You always need to try to fast fall ASAP, except Nair of course. If you're not fast enough for the C-stick, just practice more with your tech skill.

gravy

Smash Ace
I don't think it's a good idea to try to fast fall ASAP every time, focus on actually aiming the knee to specific spots with different fast fall and knee timings.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
True, true, but he needs to get the standard knee down first, as a new player.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Dash dancing isn't just running back and forth very quickly. It is to mess with spacing judgements and it keeps your options open. You can shield at any time while dashing/dash dancing/running and you can also wave dash at any time. You can jump out of it, grab, you can even pivot any move that you have. Dash dancing done right is the equivalent of standing there without actually just standing there. However, if you dash dance too much and don't have full control over how you're doing it, you will just make your life harder and will mess up your own spacing. It's the same as any other advanced technique. If you don't have an applicable reason to do it, then you are effectively doing nothing. If you know how to wave dash, but only use it right after you get a kill, then you don't actually know how to wave dash. It's the same thing for dash dancing.

D

Deleted member

Make sure control stick isn't greasy as **** like mine. Or else your finger will keep slipping and you'll mess up lol

Station

Smash Cadet
It turns out I hadn't configured my gamecube controller correctly, I had to increase the radius and dash dancing became a lot easier and I managed to get Captain Falcons fair working, thanks for the advice guys.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
First of all, I don't believe that dash dashing should be your go-to thing to do in the neutral game

What
Falcon has the best dashdance in the game, why WOULDN'T you use it as your default <_<
As soon as you're airborne you lose a bunch of movement options

Also are you playing on an emulator or something?

Aggromidget

Smash Apprentice
What
Falcon has the best dashdance in the game, why WOULDN'T you use it as your default <_<
As soon as you're airborne you lose a bunch of movement options

Also are you playing on an emulator or something?
1. After taking notes on Hax vs xxx.
2. No
Once I'm airborne, I lose a bunch of movement options is absolutely true. I incorporate my n-airs and b-airs (no-one really spaces with b-airs. Personally, I think b-air is amazing) into my dash dance. I see heaps of Falcons do full sprint short hop n-air, and it works, but I only see one hit of the n-air being used when Falcon does this.
I prefer to do a n-air on the tip of their shield range, so he can't approach until the attack is finished, then I initiate a dash away and do a short hop, watching for a reaction. If they roll behind on reaction to the n-air, I try for stomp. If they initiate a dash towards me, my b-air comes out.
Pivot, then n-air around the shield. Dash away, b-air. So you can see it's a pseudo dash dance. I mix up my n-airs. Sometimes, it's on shield, sometimes it's just outside. Sometimes I do it consecutively to mix it up.
Basically, my n-airs, b-airs and grabs are my neutral game.
While I admit that I'm not a top Falcon, I've found greater success in this method than the regular dash dance, running short hop n-air.
P.S. Big fan.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Oh the emulator question was directed at Station who was talking about calibrating his controller or something haha

Top Bottom