• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Cancelling: When/Why/How To Use It?

The Ocho

Smash Cadet
A friend asked me today what the point was of even bothering to learn this technique, and I didnt have a full answer for him, actually, I only had a slight answer for him.

Would someone tell me when/how/where/why to use this technique? Or have I been wasting time.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Wow. I didn't realize this thread had zero responses, or else I would've responded earlier.

Dash cancelling isn't in Brawl. So uh... doing it is the same as doing nothing.

The Ocho

Smash Cadet
Blah, I wasn't sure of what it was, The Over B cancel. The one that can make you slide, look like a wavedash (though its not essentially) or makes your recovery further if hit in the right frame.

Memento

Smash Rookie
Do you mean taking your side-b and canceling it by hitting "b" during one of the frames?

If so, the purpose is simply so you can make a no-lag landing. If you don't cancel it you end up landing with a very significant amount of lag leaving you rather vulnerable.

Even then, it's not a very hard technique to learn. You can simply hit your b button after hitting the side-b, once you get the timing right its fairly consistent.

UltraKyu

Smash Cadet
I think he means dash-cancel with Shield Button.

Heres an explanation of how to use it and why:
Imagine you run towards an opponent, without dash-cancellig you have 2 options for an attack: either you perform a dash-attack (press "A" while running) or you can jump and do a Aerial. But If you run and cancel your dash with Shield, you can perform any action out of a dash a lot faster than you could if you just waited till your character stands still after running. For example you can run towards you opponent, press Shield and then "A" to grab out of your shield or you can perform a (non) Up-Smash out of your dash.

Its nice for Mindgames, gives you more Options for moves out of a dash.

There are also other ways to cancel your dash, like Up-Smash-Dash-cancel. Just perform an Up-Smash while you're dashing and you immediately perform a Up-Smash even without cancelling your dash with the shield-button. This only works for the Up-smash though.

cya

Relhots

Smash Lord
A friend asked me today what the point was of even bothering to learn this technique, and I didnt have a full answer for him, actually, I only had a slight answer for him.

Would someone tell me when/how/where/why to use this technique? Or have I been wasting time.
lol, remember when you played dark... lol, with all of the canceling... he would kill kash and his cockyness...

star_wolf86

Smash Rookie
Is it, by any chance, possible that this could be done with an up-B attack, instead of up-A?

If so, then I can imagine Luigi using it to turn himself into a god.

Top Bottom