• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Atk Combos, and other advice...?

Vonpuppin

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new here on the forums, and yes that's Rick Moranis. I'm not that great at the game, but I love playing it. I'm a Doc main, and I've got a couple questions.

I've been playing with my two friends who also like the game very much. They're not as good as me (Don't tell em I said that) but the win ratio is like 75% in my favor. The reason behind this is mainly because they can't short hop reliably, and I can both do that and occasionally utilize wave-dashing. I used to main Falco, and while I love the bird, I would rather play a non-spacie for the...challenge, I suppose. So, basically I can short hop and 50%wave-dash, but I can't L-cancel well. Knowing my history, perhaps you could help me.

As doc, I can usually trap my friends in dash attacks, just dash attacking back in forth until I have them in a good position for a smash attack, either d, u, or f, it depends. Will this combo work against better players with better Di and Smash Di? Also, could you possibly give me some other pointers to get started on the doc? Thanks a lot.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
I used to do that as well. It's a bad habit, really bad. I got into it the same way you did, playing people who didn't know any way to get out/punish it.
While the "combo" works on less experienced players, a good player basically looks at it as a free whatever they want, which is not a good position to be in.
A better approach is a shffl nair, but even so it's usually better to have the opponent approach you when playing doc. What I would do is either prompt them to advance with waveland pills or zone them out with bairs til they slip up, then you can start to combo/convert it to a dunk setup

Vonpuppin

Smash Rookie
Thank you, I'll stop doing that. Assuming shffl nair means "Short hop fast fall L cancel Nair", I think I can do that aside from the L cancelling. I've yet to get used to it's timing. Thank you very much.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
No problem. And as for l cancels, they're very important for comboing, and for avoiding punishments, so try to get that timing down

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
practice the dair lcancel, it can be tricky on shield and when it connects. can set up a lot of combos

Top Bottom