• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darkest Nintendo games and concepts?

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
I actually did an Auteur study in my Media Criticism class on darker Nintendo games and the elements they use.

Anyways, I started playing Fire Emblem: if ...

It's very sad when you have to choose between the Hoshido and Nohr! Do you go with the Family you were born into, or the family that raised you?

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
There are reasons why IS barely even acknowledge the game's existence these days (unfortunately, as it's one of the better FE games).
It depends if you like Horse Emblem or not. If you like Horse Emblem like I do, then it's the best game ever.

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
majora's mask used to intimidate and scare me as a kid....

TheCrusaderp

Smash Rookie
Fire Emblem Awakening was the first Nintendo game I played that actually surprised me with how dark it was. I usually play Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon, etc. The dark story and mechanics of Fire Emblem were very appealing to me, as I usually don't play dark games at all.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Fire Emblem Awakening was the first Nintendo game I played that actually surprised me with how dark it was. I usually play Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon, etc. The dark story and mechanics of Fire Emblem were very appealing to me, as I usually don't play dark games at all.
If you think Awakening is dark, you should see some of the older games in the series...

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War deserves another mention.
Among the "Jugdral Chronology" from the start of the game is this:

"452: The Sorrow of Miletos
Several children burned to death as a sacrifice to the Dark God"

And that's only the start of it.
There are reasons why IS barely even acknowledge the game's existence these days (unfortunately, as it's one of the better FE games).

ReZo-nancE

Smash Rookie
Not counting Eternal Darkness since that's an out-and-out horror game and the obvious winner, I'd have to say the Metroid Prime series and a fair chunk of Zelda in general. Metroid Prime has a sentient corrupting force that you're forced to use to progress, which slowly deteriorates Samus's health and can kill you if you're not careful, and then there's Dark Samus. Don't even get me started on Zelda...

Pikmin has its moments, too, but they're definitely more subtle.

Bluehaven

Smash Lurker
3DS FC
1177-9167-4164
I don't know if anyone has said this game already, but if they have forgive me. How about Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time? The aliens invading the Mushroom Kingdom of the past (the Shroobs) enslave the Toads and put them in some machine to drain their life source as a need of energy for their UFOs. Mario and Luigi partner up with their baby selfs with the possiblity risking their existance. If one of the baby bros dies, then the adult bro may cease to exist. And the Shroobs. Theses aliens know nothing of love and compassion. Have you seen a single benelovent Shroob in the game? All they know about is darkness and destruction. In the game, they repeat one word which we can't understand, but in the near end of the game you learn what the word means. Destroy. Bear in mind that the Shroobs' homeplanet was just a pure wasteland. They wanted to salvaged their species so that they may not go into extinction, but due to only knowing of destruction and nothing else they were doomed by the start.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Mario & Luigi series is separate from the Super Mario series, so it's not like the events in Partners in Time are mainstream in the Super Mario series.

But yes, a race full of creatures that know nothing except destruction is quite dark.

Top Bottom