• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Damaging moves matter?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I was if the fact that some of pichu's moves damage him really matter. All in all it adds up to 10 % extra damage to pichu in a stock and makes his projectile unspammable. Please discuss. I thinking pichu's more serious flaws are his lack or range and priority and lightness (which is good in some cases)...

robyextreme

Smash Ace
We all know he damanges himself, gets send flying by everything and lacks range.

The only thing I can really say is you gotta know when to use your moves, don't f-smash uselessly or spam thunderjolt from the other side of the stage.. for his range you just gotta wait for the oppurtunity.

The best example I can give is like fighting a nooby marth.

Run to him, powerslide (t0mmy lol) backwards chances are the nooby marth just f-smashed and move in for a combo.

There are many other ways to, read the guides pichu has more advantages then they give him credit for..

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lack of range and priority are the most serious flaws Pichu has. The best advantage Pichu has gradually decreases in value: The factor of the unknown. When a person knows how to play against Pichu, he will certainly abuse his lack of range and priority to the max. Nobody just feels sorry for the critter ;_;

T0MMY

Smash Master
Personally, I don't really care about the damage I take using the electric attacks. If it works, I use it. Don't limit yourself.
The real problem is not getting hit (or SD'ing).

Besides, I've got a way to stop the electrical attacks from damaging me.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Tommy, share your secret to the others! (Just a marth main randomly leaping about boards, has no real pichu knowledge, just would like to hear your response)

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Question: I am no Pichu player, so I am not sure whether his damaging moves are that critical. I must ask, would Pichu be unbalanced if his moves didn't damage him? Are they really a necessary handicap? I imagine Pichu might be a lot higher on the tiers if it weren't for this annoyance...

UFO Flan

Smash Journeyman
Question: I am no Pichu player, so I am not sure whether his damaging moves are that critical. I must ask, would Pichu be unbalanced if his moves didn't damage him? Are they really a necessary handicap? I imagine Pichu might be a lot higher on the tiers if it weren't for this annoyance...
The fact that he hurts himself is a handicap.:dizzy: The creators can't stand such perfection:psycho:

Seriously, it would only be a handicap if he wasn't such a light character.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I think it doesn't matter much - Pichu's worst enemies can CG or combo him to death very quickly. If you're above 30% chances are a simple combo will kill you. Them's the facts.

At the point were you're within KO range it doesn't matter what percent you have. 300% is just as bad in effect as 999%. And most players know how to do basic combos and know their best kill moves - so what does the measly damage you're doing to yourself matter?

If you take 1%, and your opponent takes 7% you're making a profit. If you fire 7 times and hit only with 1 - you're even. Spamming useless? NO. As long as you hit even half of the time you're removing one of Pichu's biggest flaws - his lack of approaches. By forcing your opponent on the offensive you gain a big advantage, much bigger than that which you would have if you were afraid of a bit of pain.

FlowingEdge

Smash Rookie
Another way around that is to just avoid the self damaging moves. When I use pichu, I use jolt, but only to advance and, f smash for edge guarding and fair for getting back on from ledge...oh wait, forgot about up b and forward b. Anyway, any other move that I do tends to only be not damage inflicting ones. As said earlier too, dmg doesn't really matter if your opponent is dead.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Tommy, share your secret to the others! (Just a marth main randomly leaping about boards, has no real pichu knowledge, just would like to hear your response)
There is no secret you can find in AR. The secret comes from your heart :lick:

I must ask, would Pichu be unbalanced if his moves didn't damage him? Are they really a necessary handicap? I imagine Pichu might be a lot higher on the tiers if it weren't for this annoyance...
It's more than just an annoyance. If Pichu didn't damage himself he'd still belong to the very bottom of the tier list.
But, as a Pichu player, once you learn the "secret" the self-damaging attacks are just there to make superficial players stay away from the most awesome character in the game :psycho:

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I need to believe in the heart of the pichu. Only then will I believe the amazingness of bottom tier.

Or I could just pick Ness =p.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Well, fair does mad damage to you and like no damage to your opponent (since it gets cut short w/ shffl) but its great to lead to a grab, so just do whatever. But avoid it as much as possible, but if theres an opportunity to use the attack then take it.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Well, fair does mad damage to you and like no damage to your opponent (since it gets cut short w/ shffl) but its great to lead to a grab, so just do whatever. But avoid it as much as possible, but if theres an opportunity to use the attack then take it.
Watch Chu's Pichu. He does Uthrow > Fair > Uthrow >Fair. Useful even if they DI away, because the Fair will catch them well before they land and give several mores frames of hitstun usu. letting you land another jab > grab, maybe even just grab.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I usually F-air to U-air and jump up and D-air them again or U-tilt depending where they go.
Lighter characters can tend to pop up a little tiny bit with SHFFL'd Fairs and you can lead to tilts or grabs that you can combo out of.
Simple question had a simple answer. Yes, the damaging attacks are worth it, but only if you know how to use them. Otherwise you'll be hurting yourself more than your opponent.

Top Bottom