• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dallas Area Brawl Tournament April 27th

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrL04

Smash Apprentice
So if you bring a Wii (with everything unlocked) we don't have to pre order or anything?

jsgross

Smash Rookie
So if you bring a Wii (with everything unlocked) we don't have to pre order or anything?
Yes. I can give 4 people free entry if they bring a Wii with everything unlocked. I have two takers so far not including you. I will go ahead and put your name on the list. Please confirm ASAP that you are coming.

I need one more. Anyone else want to bring a Wii?

AnimalTaglits

Smash Cadet
Seeing as I work at Blockbuster, I don't see a problem with method #2 and not buying the game. On big releases, at least 80% of the pre-orders never get picked up. Now if everyone gets the game from the same store then that might look suspicious but not everyone lives next to the same store. GTA IV AND Mario Kart are pretty huge titles coming out and many people put down $5 on it and buy the game elsewhere, forgetting that they have one reserved at BB.

And GTA IV is worth buying anyways, it's going to be the bees knees.

SrL04

Smash Apprentice
Actually I'm not going to bring a Wii so another slot for bringing a Wii is opened. :D

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Yes. I can give 4 people free entry if they bring a Wii with everything unlocked. I have two takers so far not including you. I will go ahead and put your name on the list. Please confirm ASAP that you are coming.

I need one more. Anyone else want to bring a Wii?
Sign me up for this if there is still space left, please. I'll bring my Wii. From the looks of the thread so far there is still room <hopes> :)

Vitamin X

Smash Journeyman
Assuming all goes well, how frequently can we expect BlockBuster to hold future tournaments?

Would we be talking quarterlies, monthlies, triweeklies; dare I hope for biweeklies?

jsgross

Smash Rookie
Sign me up for this if there is still space left, please. I'll bring my Wii. From the looks of the thread so far there is still room <hopes> :)
Yes. I can give up to 4 free entries for bringing a Wii (with everything unlocked). We will have 2-4 additional ones. Here is who I have so far:

1. Bluezaft
2. Knives
3. I Am Infinity

If anyone on this list is not planning to come, please let me know ASAP.

jsgross

Smash Rookie
Assuming all goes well, how frequently can we expect BlockBuster to hold future tournaments?

Would we be talking quarterlies, monthlies, triweeklies; dare I hope for biweeklies?
Nothing is set in stone yet, but they are talking about doing weekly tournaments but using different games so Brawl tournaments would be every 3-4 weeks. Also, the tournaments would be at different Blockbusters across D/FW (and hopefully other cities as well).

jsgross

Smash Rookie
Seeing as I work at Blockbuster, I don't see a problem with method #2 and not buying the game. On big releases, at least 80% of the pre-orders never get picked up. Now if everyone gets the game from the same store then that might look suspicious but not everyone lives next to the same store. GTA IV AND Mario Kart are pretty huge titles coming out and many people put down $5 on it and buy the game elsewhere, forgetting that they have one reserved at BB.
I showed this to the manager at the store holding the tournament and asked him to respond. This is what he said:

I work at the store where the game tournament is being held and I have to say that we have a 100% pickup rate on games that are preordered there. In discussing the tournament with Blockbuster Corp, they have stated that they will be looking at how many games were not picked up when deciding whether to continue having tournaments. This tournament is a small one and I must admit one with a small prize pool, they're coming out of my pocket. Trust me if I had an endless wallet the prizes would be better!

The whole preorder is set up so that when we present this with blockbuster we have a case study to show how many gamers out there would also support blockbuster if they continued to hold tournaments in the future.

The preorder concept should be put into context. The game you are buying is a game that you want and know that you will buy. You're just saying that you will come to blockbuster to get it. You will still get all the other benefits that you get from other game retailers with big title releases, eg. Midnight sales, and with most of our stores staying open till midnight you wont be out in the cold you would be welcome to browse around the store waiting for midnight. By preordering I did not mean for it to be taken as a sixty dollar entry fee. The tournaments in the future will be free, like i said before this is just to show blockbuster that as a gaming community we drive the sales! Keep us happy and we would be willing to come to blockbuster to get our games and accessories.

From one gamer to another show your support for this event and a fellow gamer trying to make a difference.

AnimalTaglits

Smash Cadet
I showed this to the manager at the store holding the tournament and asked him to respond. This is what he said:

I work at the store where the game tournament is being held and I have to say that we have a 100% pickup rate on games that are preordered there. In discussing the tournament with Blockbuster Corp, they have stated that they will be looking at how many games were not picked up when deciding whether to continue having tournaments. This tournament is a small one and I must admit one with a small prize pool, they're coming out of my pocket. Trust me if I had an endless wallet the prizes would be better!

The whole preorder is set up so that when we present this with blockbuster we have a case study to show how many gamers out there would also support blockbuster if they continued to hold tournaments in the future.

The preorder concept should be put into context. The game you are buying is a game that you want and know that you will buy. You're just saying that you will come to blockbuster to get it. You will still get all the other benefits that you get from other game retailers with big title releases, eg. Midnight sales, and with most of our stores staying open till midnight you wont be out in the cold you would be welcome to browse around the store waiting for midnight. By preordering I did not mean for it to be taken as a sixty dollar entry fee. The tournaments in the future will be free, like i said before this is just to show blockbuster that as a gaming community we drive the sales! Keep us happy and we would be willing to come to blockbuster to get our games and accessories.

From one gamer to another show your support for this event and a fellow gamer trying to make a difference.
ORLY? That might be indicative of that store but the one I work work at had about 4-5 copies of Halo 3 that never got picked up and 2-3 of Brawl that never got picked up. Our store manager likes to gift wrap pre-orders and display them at the front counter with the owner's name on the game. I would look at those lonely copies up there for weeks, it's like they are kittens waiting to be adopted but they have some kind of disfigurement like a third eye or fifth leg so no one will pick them up. It's sad.

But anyways, it feels kind of invasive for BBV to check to see if I bought the game, especially since they already have $5 from me. They aren't even giving out a prize? Come on!

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
Yes. I can give up to 4 free entries for bringing a Wii (with everything unlocked). We will have 2-4 additional ones. Here is who I have so far:

1. Bluezaft
2. Knives
3. I Am Infinity

If anyone on this list is not planning to come, please let me know ASAP.
Alright cool, I'll be there. Gracias señor

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Good news! The day after this tournament I have a 30-page paper due, a 5-page paper due, and a test! And let's not forget the 20-page paper due the very next week!

I'm so excited I could cry into a pillow for hours!

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Good news! The day after this tournament I have a 30-page paper due, a 5-page paper due, and a test! And let's not forget the 20-page paper due the very next week!

I thought you had a 30pg paper due last weekend...

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion

What are you majoring in? Term paperism?

They have medication for that you know.

</threadderailing>

Zanyruki

Smash Rookie

Try writing on really small pages?

Also, pre-ordering at BB was waaay harder than it should've been.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hmm... well, I tried asking in the other thread and it didn't work, so I'll try again here. Who is going to this tourney who wants to give me a ride? I will of course help pay for some gas money.

jsgross

Smash Rookie
1: Kefka
2: Richard Terrell
3: Alex Lopez
4: Miss Louie
5: Tyler Campbell
5: Infinity
7: Jeremy Thomas
7: bwett1
9: Cody Newill
9: Juan Valdez