• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair spacing advice?

JML

Smash Cadet
Anyone got advice for using dair?

Been fighting a few players who can shield it the full way through and punish me during the landing lag. Is there a way to reduce landing lag or cancel it?

Probably a bad habit of mine for spamming dair too much.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
If you're jumping over them and dair it becomes pretty obvious what you're doing

I personally deliberately land right next to them with it (if grounded) but not often as I don't think it's that great of a move. I like it offstage though.

JML

Smash Cadet
If the very, very last hit connects, there's no landing lag.
Ooh good to know. Thanks. Will be sure to keep that in mind.

If you're jumping over them and dair it becomes pretty obvious what you're doing

I personally deliberately land right next to them with it (if grounded) but not often as I don't think it's that great of a move. I like it offstage though.
I love it offstage too. Great against gimping ledge tethered opponents.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
nair-> dair can work. They'll shield the nair and try to act out of it, but dair has a landing frame hitbox that could protect you. Perhaps not though.

I think Bjr is going to be a non-shorthop type of character, due to the landing lag on his moves. Focusing on doing dairs but moving drastically to the left or right to prevent followups may be the way to go (like how Marth's fullhop fair is much better in this game than a shorthop fair).

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I played a great Jr. yesterday, the most common use of dair was onstage koopakart > hop > dair. So basically as a punish according to what you see the person doing. I was trying to go under him like an idiot and so got dair in the face.

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
Don't use it. Or at least don't use it a lot on grounded opponents. offstage for gimping it's much better than i first thought, as jr's recovery is just nuts, and then obviously they can't shield punish. Likewise going for an airborn opponent(like the aforementioned kart combo) has some inherent safety. Doing it all the time however on stage leads you to very simple punishes. If they're below you fall left or right and fair/nair/bair instead, drop a mecha, or even Up+B, and then occasionally use dair. It's only decent as an approach option if they aren't used to seeing it.

Sudai

Stuff here
The only time you should be using it on a grounded opponent is in a punish situation, their grab is horrendously slow, or if you're passing through their shield with it and their BAir/NAir are slow to hit there. Otherwise you're just asking to be punished by shieldgrab or other OoS options.

I didn't know that it'll auto-cancel if you land right after the last hit, which is something I'm definitely gonna look in to more cause that opens it up as a decent shield pressure tool. Can you do it out of a short hop if you do it fast enough? My fingers might not be fast enough without a c-stick if you can.

Last edited:

UnchainTheRain

Smash Rookie
NNID
Unchain_the_Rain
3DS FC
4811-7021-2151
When I use dair out of side b I usually try to land it behind my opponent so that it can't be punished as easily if shielded. A couple of times I have faced players who aren't aware how long it stays out and they have let up their shield early when under pressure.

Top Bottom