• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair on edge of platform = auto cancel?

B1gBandJazZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp4464
3DS FC
0903-3227-6508
So I was messing around on my dolphin emulator, when I noticed something pretty strange.

On Battlefield, I was practicing my dair L-Cancelling. I noticed that YL air-dodged to the right as soon as I hit the edge of a platform.

I experimented with this, and found that I could also jump immediately after L-cancelling my dair on the edge of a platform.

Is anyone else aware of this? I can try and record a video of this when I can.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
yeah, thats a mechanic which can be found in all smash games i think (not sure about smash 64).
every animation/move gets cancelled when you land with it on the edge of a platform, which is caused by the character starting the tumble animation. you can do every move out of it. and when you hold the analog stick away from the edge or have enough momentum to slide off, your character slides off the edge into the air from where you can do another aerial, immediately :)

ah and when you try to do it on purpose you have to explicitly NOT l-cancel, because the move gets cancelled anyway and pressing l would result in airdoging or shielding.

Last edited:

B1gBandJazZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp4464
3DS FC
0903-3227-6508
yeah, thats a mechanic which can be found in all smash games i think (not sure about smash 64).
every animation/move gets cancelled when you land with it on the edge of a platform, which is caused by the character starting the tumble animation. you can do every move out of it. and when you hold the analog stick away from the edge or have enough momentum to slide off, your character slides off the edge into the air from where you can do another aerial, immediately :)

ah and when you try to do it on purpose you have to explicitly NOT l-cancel, because the move gets cancelled anyway and pressing l would result in airdoging or shielding.

Thanks for the great reply. So would this be an example of ledge cancelling?

ZSel

Smash Rookie
Yep, that's called ledge / edge cancel. You can do it with all your moves even your hookshot. And you'll of course be able to do any moves after that cancel.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Yep, that's called ledge / edge cancel. You can do it with all your moves even your hookshot. And you'll of course be able to do any moves after that cancel.
Boomerang, arrows, bomb pull and bomb throw won't edge cancel. I think this is because they don't actually have a landing animation, but instead they have aerial and grounded animations between which they shift while you touch the ground and fall off again. Actually most special attacks won't edge cancel.

ZSel

Smash Rookie
ye with your specials it's not a cancel. You'll still have this kind of slide like others move and fall out of the edge, but the animation won't be cancelled so you won't be able to do any other move instantly like your A moves. Even if it's always nice with everything, you'll prefer do it for your upair and dair coz they the ones that benefit the most from the edge cancel for ylink.

Thor

Smash Champion
Landing lag on aerial Spin Attack can be edge-cancelled [but not during spin attack itself]. The same is true of Fox/Falco side+B, Sheik up+B, etc. - most recoveries that have lag can be edge-cancelled once they are in the helpless/free-fall animation.

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Today I accidentally edge cancel a Dair which was meant to punish a non-sweetspotted captain falcon up-B, and it leaded into grabbing the ledge before him and he died.
Would be a great mindgame to pull off >:D

Last edited:
Top Bottom