• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair Attributes and Behaviors *Character Forced Trip Chart Complete*

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
NOTE: All attacks were fresh and had no decay.

- Dair has the ability to force trip
- The forced trip percentage range varies between characters
- The range for each character is as follows:
-- Mario: 10%-31% TR: 21%
-- DK: 13%-36% TR: 23%
-- Link: 11%-33% TR: 22%
-- Samus: 12%-34% TR: 22%
-- Kirby: 8%-27% TR: 19%
-- Fox: 8%-27% TR: 19%
-- Pikachu: 8%-27% TR: 19%
-- Marth: 9%-29% TR: 20%
-- Mr. Game and Watch: 8%-26% TR: 18%
-- Luigi: 10%-31% TR: 21%
-- Diddy: 10%-30% TR: 20%
-- Zelda: 9%-28% TR: 19%
-- Sheik: 9%-28% TR: 19%
-- Pit: 10%-31% TR: 21%
-- Metaknight: 8%-27% TR: 19%
-- Falco: 8%-28% TR: 20%
-- Squirtle: 8%-26% TR: 18%
-- Ivysaur: 11%-32% TR: 21%
-- Charizard: 12%-34% TR: 22%
-- Ike: 12%-33% TR: 21%
-- Snake: 12%-35% TR: 23%
-- Peach: 9%-30% TR: 21%
-- Yoshi: 11%-34% TR: 23%
-- Ganondorf: 12%-34% TR: 22%
-- Ice Climbers: 10%-30% TR: 20%
-- King DeDeDe: 12%-35% TR: 23%
-- Wolf: 11%-32% TR: 21%
-- Lucario: 11%-32% TR: 21%
-- Ness: 10%-31% TR: 21%
-- Sonic: 10%-31% TR: 21%
-- Bowser: 13%-37% TR: 24%
-- Wario: 11%-34% TR: 23%
-- Toon Link: 10%-30% TR: 20%
-- R.O.B.: 11%-33% TR: 22%
-- Olimar: 8%-28% TR: 20%
-- Captain Falcon: 11%-33% TR: 22%
-- Jigglypuff: 7%-24% TR: 17%
-- Lucas: 10%-31% TR: 21%

-- The total forced trip range spans from 7%-37%
-- Jigglypuff's range drops down to 7% and Bowser's goes all the way up to 37%
-- The range that will ensure forced trip potential against any character is 13%-24%

-- ALL RANGES ARE WIDE ENOUGH TO ALLOW FOR TWO Dairs BEFORE GOING OUT OF RANGE.
-- This means that you can try to pull off the forced trip twice per stock.

- Dair forced trip seems to happen less often than the gimp knee force trip
- Probability of force trip MIGHT be influenced by damage percents
- Force trip SEEMS TO OCCUR MORE FREQUENTLY with specific FF influence. Could be timing though.

- Dair has multiple hitstuns and knockback properties in the 31% or less range
-- The probability of each hitstun reaction is effected by the timing of Dair
-- Two timing forms: Auto Cancel and No Cancel (both SH-ed)
-- The No Cancel has multiple forms
--- 1: No Cancel and hit with the Dair before you land
--- 2: No Cancel and hit essentially right when you land on the ground

-- Various hitstun conditions:
--- Auto Cancel
---- 1: Normal short hitstun (Mario bends backwards and turns his face backwards-ish)
--- No Cancel (Form 1)
---- 1: Normal short hitstun (exact same as the auto-cancel)
---- 2: Normal short hitstun (Mario leans backwards but doesn't turn face and flails arms up)
---- 3: Extended hitstun (Mario falls flat down on the ground and almost trips, but recovers)
---- 4: Forced Trip (Mario flops onto his rear end and sits on the ground)

-- Various knockback conditions:
--- Autocancel
---- No knockback
--- No Cancel (in congruence with the two previously mentioned versions)
---- 1: No knockback
---- 2: Good knockback

Ok so I hope you guys understand that. I tried to structure this like an outline for reading ease purposes so hopefully you can follow the dash subsets. This outline needs a little bit more explaining though. The three hitstuns that Form 1 of the No Cancel has depend on the timing. The three different Dair styles all depend on timing, but Form 1 of the No Cancel has specific timing windows within itself which influences the hitstun type.

The normal short hitstun occurs when you connect closer to the ground than the Auto-Cancel one does. There is a window in which you can get the Auto-Cancel hitstun type with the No-Cancel version. This is essentially a case of you barely missing the Auto-Cancel timing. If you time the attack to connect slightly closer to the ground though, you'll get the second hitstun type. The two seem to have the exact same hitstun time though.

If you connect with the Dair even closer to the ground though, you can cause the third hitstun type. The difference in space/timing between this form and the No-Cancel Hit Ground type of No-Cancel Dair is very small though. Anyways, this version seems to have a slightly longer hitstun period than the first two hitstun types. However, this difference is not enough to make the enemy's hitstun last longer than Falcon's landing lag from the No-Canceled Dair. There is no combo here.

CONFIRMED: The hitstun in this third version is shorter than Falcon's landing lag unfortunately. That means no combo potential here.

Anyways, the fourth hitstun is the infamous force trip. NOTE: The forced trip seems to only occur if you would've otherwise landed the second or third hitstun types. The use for the forced trip is obvious. The trick is pulling it off.

Now for the "grounded" Dair (aka No-Cancel form #2 from the outline above). This is when you land even closer to the ground than what it takes to land the third hitstun type. You are essentially connecting the attack on the ground you are so close (hence why I call it the "grounded" Dair). This form of the No-Cancel Dair results in a knockback that resembles the side-spike everyone has seen from the airborne Dair. I haven't tested this yet but I THINK that it will knock a shielding foe out of range from you (as long as they don't have beastly reach). I'm not sure about this though but I plan on finding out whether this it true or not soon. Anyways this form of the No-Cancel Dair is useful because it well... knocks your opponent back quite a ways! This way you can take all the landing lag time you want because your opponent will be careening through the air. Also if the shield knockback attribute is true like I think it is, this will open up new opportunities for using Dair on the ground since if you get shielded you'll still be safe and if not they'll get hit away from you. A potential problem with this (STILL) is that spot-dodging is probably fast enough that you'll miss, have landing lag, and then get punished. But even so most defensive players will shield on the approach anyways (from what I've seen) so you'll be cool most of the time.

Anyways I know that this doesn't break open the usefulness of ground Dair or anything but I found the different results interesting so I figured I might as well post my findings. The only thing that really hinders this entire thing is timing it right. I haven't practiced getting the No-Cancel in the right timing for the good stuff to happen that much yet, but I plan on it just to see if I can get it down and then possibly add a new option to my game.

Anyways I hope you guys at least found this stuff interesting (I did anyways). Feel free to post and comments or questions or whatever. If people don't know what the heck I'm talking about I'll try and get some videos up to show the different forms and such. All of this info offers a new but unpredictable (as of right now at least) new dimension to Falcon's game. If there is a certain technique that results in a high or absolute trip probability, then all of this info will become a lot more useful. Even if no technique ever arises, there will still be limited use for this info. I have pulled off Dair force trips occasionally before I made this thread but I thought that it was like total luck to the max. Now that I found this data though, I can try and make a strategy that will work in this forced trip potential.

NOTE: I will soon begin testing to find out the probability of Dairs that result in forced trips. I will also eventually make a chart that will provide gimp knee force trip ranges for each character. Following the completion of that I will start trying to find out the probability of gimp knees that result in forced trips. Hopefully with all of this knowledge we'll have a greater understanding of Falcon that will result in all of us becoming better players.

mesCo

Smash Cadet
I read the first paragraph b4 i got too bored lol. It may sound noobish but i dont really understand any of this. What is a 'forced trip' or 'gimp.' I get the part about no-cancel and auto-cancel but the rest is a mystery.

I never use a SH'd dair anyways. I really only use it for meteor smashes.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Forced trip is when your attack causes your opponent to trip. "Gimp" is the adjective that is widely used around these boards to describe the lesser form of the knee (the one that does 3%-5% and doesn't have sparkly electric).

And the point of this thread was to try and observe Dair's behaviors so you don't have to ONLY use it for meteor smashes.

Top Bottom