• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair at 0%

LazyPurple

Smash Rookie
Who doesn't love getting a dair at 0%? It leads into a sick shine combo every time, right?

Wrong.

I've been playing better players recently, and they manage to get their shield up after I dair at 0%, meaning that my shine hits their shield and I end up getting grabbed or something.

How do you guys deal with this? Should I go into shield-pressure mode when I connect a dair at 0%? Grab? Or am I super bad and just not getting my shine out fast enough.

Edit: After thinking about it, shine grab seems like a pretty good option here. What can't shine-grab do?

Last edited:

orvs

Smash Cadet
dair-->shine is actually a true combo if you immediately fastfall, lcancel, and shine after the dair connects (and if they don't crouch cancel). to get allow this to happen you have to time your dair so that it hits them at the peak of your shorthop so that you can fastfall to the ground the moment hitlag is done. dair at 0% is 15-17 frames of hitstun (depends on character), and in the situation i just described, falco can hit the dair, get to the ground and complete the lcancel animation in 12 frames so you have a few frames to shine.

idk about other falco players but executing that perfectly every time is a little bit hard. not to mention that when committing to this action, you have to wait to get to the peak of your jump to do this. before falco gets to the proper height, he's vulnerable to pretty much anything.

in your situation though, yea, shinegrab is very fitting.

Last edited:

LazyPurple

Smash Rookie
Seems like any way you look at it, you sort of have to respect them at 0% like they're shielding (since what you described is sort of like trying to do a low aerial on shield). I'll try harder to space myself so that I reach them at the peak of my short hop though, thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
You don't have to shine-grab, just grabbing straight away is also a strong mixup. You can also dash away and laser, or wait for a roll/spotdodge, or do a retreating aerial after the shine, etc.

I try not to get into the habit of doing the same thing every single time in this situation. If your opponent panics and tries to hard read your follow up, you can bait them into doing stuff that will make them feel real silly. Nobody wants to get shined at 0 and eat another 80% (or just lose their stock).

Also, the CC option should always be respected when you hit a grounded opponent. If it's not safe on CC, it's not safe. As such, at 0%, only late dairs are safe if you land near your opponent. Even if you catch your opponent jumping, the dair will put them on the ground in neutral position (like Fox's shine or dair), resulting in basically the exact same situation.

Top Bottom