• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Daft's MU Rant Thread (Currently Discussing Fox MU)

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
So i'll try and update this post... yeah...

Let me prefaces this thread with the beauty that is Nair, squirtle's nair will be useful in almost every MU (besides jiggs) almost all the time. It has armor, it has long lasting hit boxes, and most importantly it sends you in a tangential direction to it's spin, meaning it's nearly impossible to DI correctly, as well as being able to send your opponent any direction you want. It is gimp-tastic, often it is possible to combo into itself with weak hits (very useful for off stage, below edge, spacies beware).
Squirtle Matchups

Current Draft: FOX
Summary:

Get ready to be moving, constantly - just like fox. Wavedashing, perfect wavelands, shellshifting, shellslinging, withdraw; all of these are incredibly important to use and mix up during a match. Fox's air game is definitely a lesser threat in this MU, as squirtle possesses unrivaled movement and positioning through the air thanks to shell slinging, as well as an armored Nair, and armored airborne approach with Withdraw.

On the ground, fox has superior shield pressure, thankfully squirtle slides away on hit, keeping you from the worst of space opression. Bubble, either with a short hop or during a wavedash, is a great way to interrupt fox's ground game, as well as wavedash to watergun spacing; after a positive hit with watergun you can either cue up a second watergun, bubble, withdraw in for a combo start, grab, or retreat. Retreating being a key word, squirtle can be nearly unkillable if he doesn't want to engage, crouching can avoid laser spam to keep your % down, withdraw has armor (and is useful only in short bursts or tech chases) and can help you get around the stage, but don't rely on it too heavily or you will get up-smashed. Retreating to ledge is dangerous, because of shine spike, solid options to move from ledge back on to the stage include hopping upwards and backwards away from the ledge and then bubble, watergun can also provide just enough hitstun to withdraw over the top of most opponents, nairing into them can also work if your armor frames are used effectively.

While fox can jab-up-smash like a *******, and can also shine gimp you unless you master your waterfall sweet spot, squirtle has a number of other tools at his disposal that can just as easily prevent fox from recovering, and his own up-smash ain't too shabby for getting the kill, assuming you forward shellshift under the fast faller at above 90%, otherwise you might have a hard time getting the kill with it. Your main kill move will be off-stage Nair however, not U-smash like most matchups.

Neutral Game and Retreat:

While squirtle doesn't quite have a solid traditional dash-dance, you still need to be able to keep them guessing even while staying in the same area of the stage. Dashing out of a shellshift back into a shellshift is definitely squirtle's alternative to dash dancing. Squirtle can shellshift into a massive stage spanning grab by jump canceling the ending momentum, then grab canceling the jump. Down-smash coming out of shell shift is also an option, however actually doing the move on the right frame to slide a large distance is nearly impossible to time, and you are honestly better off just perfect-wave dashing into a down-smash. Shell-shifting an F-smash is also a great surprise, since you can slide very very fast across the full length of any stage with it, and the armor frames at the beginning of move can save you in a potential trade, still, this is an incredibly advanced technique and always difficult to pull off.

Short hop Dair is a great option to penetrate defenses, most don't see it coming, if you manage to hit with all the frames, then they can also pop out at a nice trajectory for U-air/F-air/N-air. D-tilt clashes with a lot of stuff, but it has a nice hitbox (reminds me of G&W's d-tilt), but crouch canceling will all but kill it's spammability. Against a fast faller it doesn't set you up for combos quite like usual (you will be relying on your grab for combos)...

Approach and Ground Combos:

Juggles and Air Combos:

Grab Game:

Edge Guarding:

If fox is aiming for the ledge with either his up-B or side-B you can D-smash if you think they won't overshoot, this can either pull them into the D-smash, allowing for a follow up, or it can knock them straight downwards, which can gimp if they don't immediately up-B, and even if they do you can simply D-smash again, you can do this indefinitely and there is nothing the Fox can do about it, if he stalls his up-B he dies so he will be easy to predict so getting a D-smash rhythm going is simple.

You can also F-smash if they don't sweetspot the edge, you can aim your F-smash up or down and you will get heavy armor at the beginning so it's a pretty good edge guard.

If you are feeling adventurous, as soon as fox is off stage he is either going to up-B (most likely directly towards the ledge), or jump and side-B straight into the ledge. You can shell sling off stage if you are far away and will usually make it in time to Nair, which will gimp fox out of any point in his up-B or side-B as long as you hit with the armor frames.

Counter Edge Guarding:

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
CURRENT DISCUSSION PROMPT:

How do you get your kills against Fox? And how does fox usually get the kill against you?

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
Well this thread went well, still, I'll carry the squirtle meta forward on my own if this forum truly is this dead.

Lower percentage combos on fox are nightmarishly hard, crouch canceling is just broken against squirtle in this matchup. Grabbing for most early percentages is usually wise, Squirtle's standing grab has around a 40% larger range, so wavedashing into grabs is a great alternative to the pure surprise factor of shellshifted grabs (which I'm not totally sure about, but I think is the dash grab).

Right now, my best neutral breaker against fox is WD back -> watergun/bubble -> WD forward -> grab

ALSO, apparently, during fox's get-up attack you can time the d-smash to have armor on fox's hit frames, and the d-smash will last past fox's get-up invincibility, so if I can get the timing down that should be useful, only thing is I have to WD into fox to follow up like that usually, so D-smash getup counters are definitely one of the more advanced techs squirtle has right now.

BTW, i think it's appropriate to call whipping out Nair on the armor frame is a nair-counter as well, it operates really similar to melee yoshi counters (I THINK)

Dekar173

Justice Man
At 0% uthrow > uthrow > uthrow > tech-chase is usually what I like to open with if I can get the grab. Combo-wise that's all I've really run into at low percent aside from if they're DIing poorly. The dsmash trick is definitely one of your best friends, but if they're adapting you may want to start mixing down-Bs in as the angle it sends them at is almost a guaranteed ledgehog afterward. Watergun's probably your fastest option against sideBs onto the stage that keeps them off with 0 chance of clanking/trading hits.

Edge-game is really the only thing Squirtle has against Fox, aside from being super slippery/near impossible to kill when playing safe.

Don't be bad, charge your neutral B any time you knock fox off, as it makes his recovery 10x more difficult when your full charge watergun is readily available.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Oh my God, Cam. I knew you were passionate for this game, but I didn't get a taste of your actual determination until reading this. It's brilliant work, and makes me really excited to be playing with you. You're a very realistic person, whereas I am a dreamer. Your style is knowing indefinitely what is possible and likely to work, while my play thrives on the ability to make the impossible possible.

I'll talk about your actual thread before I talk about other things first.
I don't have the focus to read the whole post, but I read well over half. Against Fox you have to be aware there are usually only two ways he's played: Speedy Punishment, and Speedy Aggression. I've noticed the latter is more popular among average players, and the former is more popular among advanced players. But, let's not forget Mang0, arguably the most well known Speedy Aggressive Fox. Our Washington top player is a punishing Fox, so if you haven't seen him play a lot, go ahead and look up his matches on YouTube.

If you're having problems at low percents, my suggestion would be change your mindset from what you need to land next, to what you need him to NOT land next. You don't have to fully climb inside his head, but you need him to make the first move if you really want to tack the damage on. He's not going to be making it easy to throw 20-40% on, so you shouldn't be trying to do that. Don't get too campy, but lure him into something. Even if you aren't able to punish him for something, you need him to become comfortable to the idea that it's his turn to attack. As soon as he starts fishing, is when you take his pole and slap your shades on (not literally). Fox will most likely be trying to pressure you from the get go, but guess what? There is no pressuring what isn't there. I think you should literally run away from him until he goes for that one thing he "knows" will work.

This could be him back WDing into a grab, throwing a full hop nair to catch you in the air, anything. The one move he knows he has to throw out to make something happen will eventually be thrown, and you need to be ready for it.

Now, this is all good advice assuming you're not thinking about doing it and ending up getting caught. I suggest getting near the edge when you are at low percentages. Your Squirtle ability to mix-up recoveries, punish faulty edgeguards and capitalize on over-extensions is superior to Fox's, so flex that when you need to.

I don't know enough about Squirtle to go on, and I feel you already know a lot of what I said, but I hope it helped in some way at least.

Cam, I think it'd be sweet to get together and write some stuff down. You are incredibly talented at expressing what you mean, which is my biggest weakness in writing, and I think it would make the work flow together really nicely. We've already both been poking around in video recording and production for Smash, so the possibilities wouldn't even be limited to writing. And along the way, I feel we'd both get a hell of a lot better at Smash Bros.

If you are interested in hanging out and putting some work in on anything just text me. I don't think you're nocturnal like I am so you probably won't read this until the morning, but I'll reply to you once I've crawled out of my dim cave around noon.

Last edited:

Daftatt

NNID
Daftatt
I'll have to take that offer up some time. As for fox throwing out full-jump nairs to catch squirtle in the air, I have to say they aren't effective, bubble/watergun/nair/dair/over-b all will beat fox's nair when squirtle is in the air.

I have been working on using a charged watergun to hit get-up-attackers, then bubble their hitstun

Top Bottom