• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DACUS Help!

Zeros

Smash Cadet
Hello, I want to learn how to Dash-Attack-Cancle-Up-Smash (DACUS) but when I tried to find DACUS Videos on Youtube, all I found were people doing it on Vanilla Brawl which is bad because I've been told that 2.5b's DACUS window is TINY. Apparently, the window is some 2-6 frames or something like that.

I've been trying to do it in matches, training modes, friendlies, and overall just about anywhere I can and out of probably around 1000 attempts, I've only pulled it off ONCE on total random accident and have not been able to duplicate it so I'm clearly missing something with the timing. Lol even having trouble in Training mode in Slow Motion, as embarrassing as that is...

Anyone have any detailed tips on DACUSing? Or better yet, any DACUS tutorials? Or Ganon DACUS Tutorial Videos? :p

That's really the only thing I don't have down with Ganon is the DACUS, and I think it's useful so I want to learn it lol

Thank you guys for your time.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
The inputs are the same as in Brawl, just a little bit more strict for some characters. It also doesn't matter wether you use an attack or grab button for Ganondorf, because you'll want to input the UpSmash one frame later than possible anyway to get maximum distance. Actually I think that the inputs for P:M Ganon are the exact same as doing a DACUS with Falco in Brawl with the sole exception that you get a very long DACUS if you input it on the first possible frame using an attack button with Falco in vBrawl and a very short one when doing the same in Project:M with Ganondorf. So, if you want video tutorials you could use those instead.

To perform a DACUS from a standing position you input the Control-Stick a side to perform a dash, then down on the c-stick and after a pause as long as Fox's jumpsquat A/Z+up on the control-stick. You could think of it as doing an instant fullhop Up-Air using Z for the aerial with Fox/Pikachu/etc. but using down on the c-stick as the "jump"-button, as that's exactly the right input. You also have to hold down on the c-stick until entering the input for Up-Smash, but that shouldn't even matter when you aren't trying to use it in a TAS. If you get a grab or short distance Up-Smash (depending on wether you're using an attack or grab input) you're doing the last input too fast. In frames:

0: Dash
1: C-Stick Down -> DA
4/5: Attack/Grab + Control-Stick Up

Airrider

Smash Apprentice
Like he said. Dash, c-stick down, quickly move the control stick up and press Z. I think you should learn to do it with Z. You probably wanna shield with L and wavedash with R (or vice versa) etc.

Zeros

Smash Cadet
oh wow, yea that brings about a completely different perspective to the move and actually makes me wonder how the hell DACUS was even discovered xD

See, my dumbass was trying to Dash Attack and hit UpSmash at a certain time figuring that would somehow cancel the Dash Attack and Change it to an UpSmash while carrying the momentum from the canceled move, making you UpSmash across the floor...

I was trying to
Dash Attack > Up Smash

When in truth its
Dash Attack > C-Stick Down (Hold) > Manual-Short Hop + Z

I'll get to work immediately to learn these techniques. It'll feel a little weird but I pride myself on being very techy with the Characters I use. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
oh wow, yea that brings about a completely different perspective to the move and actually makes me wonder how the hell DACUS was even discovered xD

See, my ******* was trying to Dash Attack and hit UpSmash at a certain time figuring that would somehow cancel the Dash Attack and Change it to an UpSmash while carrying the momentum from the canceled move, making you UpSmash across the floor...

I was trying to
Dash Attack > Up Smash

When in truth its
Dash Attack > C-Stick Down (Hold) > Manual-Short Hop + Z

I'll get to work immediately to learn these techniques. It'll feel a little weird but I pride myself on being very techy with the Characters I use. Thanks a lot for the help guys.
In practice it is DA->UpSmash with a precise timing. I didn't know about having to hold the c-stick down until I tried to do a DACUS in a TAS and it didn't work until I thought of keeping the c-stick hold down. I also have to correct myself in that area. Upon further testing I noticed that holding any direction on the c-stick works or plain using the c-stick for the attack works. You could also just go C-Stick Down->C-Stick Up very quickly or just A->C-Stick Up, if you're already running or let go of the control-stick in order not to do a FSmash. The only peculiar thing is that you have to hold any direction on the c-stick for at least 2 frames (or something like that) before performing a Up-Smash input with the A or Z button. It could also be a Dolphin thing, but I can't really test it ingame - maybe someone else can say more about this.

In any case you'll probably be using the c-stick for either the DA or the UpSmash and not let go of it within 3 frames unless specifically trying to, so it won't change anything. It's just a weird anomaly I noticed and probably shouldn't even have mentioned in order not to confuse everybody who reads this.

Oh, and you don't have to jump anywhere. I only ever mentioned short hops as an example for the timing and don't think they do something.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
do note that a few characters like wolf and GW cannot do DACUS with the standard control set up. for some reason, if z is set to grab, it does not function like it should. most characters do not have this issue, but those two do, maybe a couple more do as well but im sure. so if by chance you were using those characters then that probably explains the issue.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
You can't execute the input on the first possible frame using Z, so only characters with a 2+ frame window can use it and unless you don't want to do the input as soon as possible anyway like with Ganon you'll at least lose one frame of input window, if not a bit of distance, too.

Zeros

Smash Cadet
do note that a few characters like wolf and GW cannot do DACUS with the standard control set up. for some reason, if z is set to grab, it does not function like it should. most characters do not have this issue, but those two do, maybe a couple more do as well but im sure. so if by chance you were using those characters then that probably explains the issue.
Good to know. But I don't even want to think about altering Controller settups because it would cause problems when entering tourneys. I would have to make a profile with a custom Scheme every time I encountered a New Wii? Nah, gonna avoid that lol.

Magus420

Smash Master
Wow 8adge, I always figured being unable to boost smash using the frame advance code was due to the way it works (doesn't actually stop the game from running like frame step would on an emulator), and for the same reason you can't do c-stick attacks with frame advance (the 1 frame of input starts and ends while the gameplay speed is at 0x but the system is still running normally). Holding the c-stick in a direction when inputting the u-smash makes it work. I imagine it, and possibly boost smashing's existence, is related to the weird bug where holding the c-stick in a direction prevents you from being able to tap jump at all, since the boost smash window is tied to the jump startup time.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't know about this bug, but boost smashing always was one of if not the most obscure AT in any smash game and I still don't see any reason why it should be there (even the random input delay at least seems like it could have been intentional to "even the playing field" or similiar, though probably it wasn't). After testing it with Bowser I can say that I was correct in asuming you have to hold a direction on the c-stick for 2 frames before the UpSmash in Dolphin, but you probably don't experience this using the frame advance code considering how it works, do you? There's also no delay for the effect of preventing tap jumping. 2 frames also is the delay I experience before an input is performed, but that's most probably coincidental with one being Dolphin's fault (the input delay) and one Brawl's.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Clawing.

Move your right pointer finger from Z to A, and then you'll be able to dacus with any character with the standard controls.
Even though I find it easier to do with tap jump off (you can instantly move your control stick from forward to diagonally up and forward and just input Cstick Down > A).

Urielhelix

Smash Cadet
I have been wondering how to do this as well! This is really good to know. My right thumb dosn't work so good in compatition play. so i actually play with my finger tips on the right side.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you can't sacrifice a finger or two in order to master the King of evil you better get off those boards real quick.

Top Bottom