• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D3 vs projectile spam

atzero

Smash Cadet
What options does he have? Characters like MegaMan, Robin, Link and Samus, seem to just crush me each time because D3 has no good approach options through projectile spam. Or none that I can see anyway.

Cant attack with Side B because projectiles knock it back into you. Can use Neut B to swallow a small projectile at great lag. He is so slow horizontally, I just want to give up on him because he is so easy to lock down.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
You can approach from the air, swallow some projectiles.

Also against Sheik, you can throw gordos; needles don't beat it.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
This is actually a problem I have with as well. Against some characters like Yoshi it isn't too hard to run through eggs/shield (though annoying) but I played against a Samus and it was a nightmare. Shielding didn't seem to work against her tether grab combined with projectiles. How would you approach from the air?

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Approaching from the air is mainly to close the gap without having to deal with projectiles head on, ideally to reach a midrange that we can work with using ftilts. You can also cover your landing with gordos, or push your opponent back with a well spaced bair.

Landing on your opponent with an aerial is risky.

Against Samus, however, I think it's preferable to put pressure on her really fast so she doesn't get a free fully charged shot right off the bat. Since she usually begins the game charging, I run at her.

She then has the option to shoot an uncharged shot, which can be blocked on reaction, or roll, which can be punished.

Not gonna lie; I struggle at the matchup as well. She has much better options in close range than she used to have, which compensates for her nerfed zoning game. Regardless, TripleD sucks against zoning, so it's still hard to get in.
Once off-stage, she's as good as dead, however.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Against Samus, however, I think it's preferable to put pressure on her really fast so she doesn't get a free fully charged shot right off the bat. Since she usually begins the game charging, I run at her.

She then has the option to shoot an uncharged shot, which can be blocked on reaction, or roll, which can be punished.
She can als jump out of chargeshot into an aerial or airdodge (which can then be canceled into her zair), as well as grab straight out of it. So beware of that, she's very flexible out of that attack. And I usually purposefully charge it to bait a reckless approach from my opponent. So take care with this around Samus mains.
Once off-stage, she's as good as dead, however.
Again, I don't know what kind of Samus you've been playing, but sometimes I purposfully try to take the fight off-stage or near the edge, just because of the vast amount of options Samus has there. Her bombs, up-b and tether allow her to return to the stage from anywhere, and she has great gimping tools in her aerials. She also has a lot of options from the edge itself as well, so don't get too cocky against an off-stage Samus. No matter how amazing Dedede is there. :dr^_^:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
She can als jump out of chargeshot into an aerial or airdodge
You mean jump during the charging? I don't think that's possible.
She can however cancel with a grab or a shield. Which can follow into a jump for the latter, I suppose that's what you meant.

Makes her a lot more interesting in the neutral.

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
You mean jump during the charging? I don't think that's possible.
She can however cancel with a grab or a shield. Which can follow into a jump for the latter, I suppose that's what you meant.

Makes her a lot more interesting in the neutral.
If you want to be technical about it, yes she needs to press shield and jump simultaneously to jump, which might add a single frame, if even that. I don't think that really changes the point of my post.

Try it in training :)

Top Bottom