• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D3 help???

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
So recently my bro took up D3, and said he could beat any of my characters, so I used first Snake then Falco, and beat him silly. However I got a little cocky and said I'll go low tier on his *** with Sonic and Falcon, Sonic won but Falcon lost. Falcon lost by only a bit, usually I have DDD at around 50ish% at his final stock, the only way he beat's me is chain-grabbing so what im itching towards is how to beat a D3 that ABUSES his CG, Bair, Dsmash, Fsmash (when edge guarding), and suck up????

please no "don't get grabbed statements", this may be because of too much melee, but he has legitimate skill with D3, leaving me in the need of extra help

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
keep pressure on him. and side step a lot to avoid grabs. and spam your jab. dthrow to upair works wonders, and you can AC his knee into ddds face. good luck

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
>B Ownage on DDD=Doom. Falcon Kick and Raptor boost can keep a camping DDD and a chain grabbing one at bay. U could use lagless Dair. U won't get caught in the chain grab. Hope this helps.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
shorthop nair or dair approaches. SHAD to bair, nair, dair. If hes close up then downB. If your too far away doing downB then its easy stuff for punshiment.

Anytime you can use sideB to recover instead of upB when your tech chasing or whatever. Do it, its infinitely faster, and try to do it closest to the ground as possible.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
My poor memories of D3 involved approaching with NAirs if he went for spot-dodge grabs and spacing them out of his grab range (you can purposely come up short and not even be close enough to kick him, but do the move anyway and you could hit him in his grab animation). If he shields you can try UAir since it has shield pushback, so when he tries to grab you it should be out of range.

splat5

Smash Rookie
i tend to SH-nair approach alot cos it strings straight into a jab jab grab combo - a great way to stop yourself from getting grab is to grab him straight back. Or alternatively you can just do SH-nair to the AAA combo and rack up that damage. But yeh, as the others have said, falcon kick if you end up getting to close and need some breathing room. And also, KNEE BABY!

Smash Apprentice
>B Ownage on DDD=Doom. Falcon Kick and Raptor boost can keep a camping DDD and a chain grabbing one at bay. U could use lagless Dair. U won't get caught in the chain grab. Hope this helps.
That's exactly what you mustn't do, you're just way way way too easily shield-grabbable.
What I do vs DDD's is using Jab really often, also Nair and what also is good vs some Fastfaller like him is Dtilt, afaik it has higher range than his grab and you can hit about 3 times on low levels.

Roager

Smash Ace
Against DDD, I usually use Nairs, or a Dair. Most anything else is too easy to shieldgrab. That's really not too terribly helpful, but it's something. Be careful when you're punishing, cuz DDD likes grabbing. Only punish with things like knee or the second hit of Nair. At some damages, you can get away with punishing with an aerial falcon kick.

AREL0E

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, same here with D3 troubles. Nair approaches, to jab canceled grab. Uairs spam.

I dont know what else to say, mindgames?

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
So recently my bro took up D3, and said he could beat any of my characters, so I used first Snake then Falco, and beat him silly. However I got a little cocky and said I'll go low tier on his *** with Sonic and Falcon, Sonic won but Falcon lost. Falcon lost by only a bit, usually I have DDD at around 50ish% at his final stock, the only way he beat's me is chain-grabbing so what im itching towards is how to beat a D3 that ABUSES his CG, Bair, Dsmash, Fsmash (when edge guarding), and suck up????

please no "don't get grabbed statements", this may be because of too much melee, but he has legitimate skill with D3, leaving me in the need of extra help
In round one of my tourney matches I was up against a D3 player, and I surprisingly won after a 1-1. What I find useful when playing a D3 is the first notable characteristic: Large and Fat, leaving me with some room for error in approaching or fighting.

What I find useful vs. the chain grabs, which I encountered quite a bit, is that it's very possible to relieve yourself of it by spamming Down on the ctrl stick while holding shield, initiating a spot dodge before he can get another grab off. At lower percents it's harder, but still possible to manage this. I'll be doing some testing later on today to see what percentages this becomes more prominent for.

If you'd like to get some wifi matches I'd be more than happy to play D3 to run some stuff. I'll give you a pm later :)

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
A running U-Smash is pretty good for starting out, since his hitbox is ridiculously huge. Throws are like, your best friends. If you're pretty good at the chain gripping thing, start with an F-Throw, followed by a quick D-Throw, and then a couple of N/U-Airs. Try your best to shield most of King Dedede's attacks, as they have good knockback. Shield grabbing is very effective. Don't get trapped in his U-Tilts; if you do, an Auto-Canceled N/F/D-Air will stop it.

Just a few hints. =p

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
A running U-Smash is pretty good for starting out, since his hitbox is ridiculously huge. Throws are like, your best friends. If you're pretty good at the chain gripping thing, start with an F-Throw, followed by a quick D-Throw, and then a couple of N/U-Airs. Try your best to shield most of King Dedede's attacks, as they have good knockback. Shield grabbing is very effective. Don't get trapped in his U-Tilts; if you do, an Auto-Canceled N/F/D-Air will stop it.

Just a few hints. =p
Falchion also has a few good points!

Using throws are also a very effective way at hampering DDDs game plan. When I can, I'll start with a F-throw + F-throw + Grab/few hits to D-throw, strung to some U-airs or N-airs. Getting trapped in his UTilt is dangerous though, and like Fal said, some Nairs or a Knee (gimped or not) will help get you out of it if you are too low to effectively DI.

chewyy

Smash Ace
What I find useful vs. the chain grabs, which I encountered quite a bit, is that it's very possible to relieve yourself of it by spamming Down on the ctrl stick while holding shield, initiating a spot dodge before he can get another grab off. At lower percents it's harder, but still possible to manage this. I'll be doing some testing later on today to see what percentages this becomes more prominent for.
do NOT do this. First of all, I'm almost 100% sure they have to mess up the CG for this to work. Regardless, this is the EASIEST thing for a D3 to read, if you are sitting there trying to spot dodge, they can just dash attack (I call it the whale flop) instead of continuing the CG and BAM you're sent flying or dead depending on your %.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
thanksa guys it's been helping but still can't get me consistant wins, prolly cause of the major tier difference that my Falcon can't overcome :( ohh well

ICW i'll add you later, my internets out till wednesday

Top Bottom