• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-throw > Cyclone mashing

Mewlax

Smash Rookie
Hello community! I've been practicing the down throw into cyclone and sometimes I notice that characters will fall out. I realize some people fall quicker or are more floaty I've been trying to get better at hitting them at the edge of the hitbox. My question is should I mash B as fast as possible when I combo or are there a certain number of presses that I should do? I get the spacing properly , I always catch them but they drop out either the hit before the last hit or one spin hit after. Of coarse this doesn't always happen, most of the time it combos but I'd rather have perfection at it Any tips?

Last edited:

Gnollesion

Smash Rookie
In my experience, I've found it's best to mash just enough to maintain height or not mashing at all.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Its honestly better just to go for down throw up b. Its way more consistent.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Its honestly better just to go for down throw up b. Its way more consistent.
Are you sure, I've found that it is relatively easy to airdodge out, making a 50/50 where you can either upB immediately, or wait out the airdodge, then upB. Normally, a 50/50 is a pretty good situation since they don't have an offensive option, but the problem is that you can be heavily punished if you guess wrong

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Are you sure, I've found that it is relatively easy to airdodge out, making a 50/50 where you can either upB immediately, or wait out the airdodge, then upB. Normally, a 50/50 is a pretty good situation since they don't have an offensive option, but the problem is that you can be heavily punished if you guess wrong
Its impossible to air dodge out of a legit combo lol. They can tech to avoid it though.

Leone Phelps

Smash Rookie
NNID
LeonePhelps
Hello community! I've been practicing the down throw into cyclone and sometimes I notice that characters will fall out. I realize some people fall quicker or are more floaty I've been trying to get better at hitting them at the edge of the hitbox. My question is should I mash B as fast as possible when I combo or are there a certain number of presses that I should do? I get the spacing properly , I always catch them but they drop out either the hit before the last hit or one spin hit after. Of coarse this doesn't always happen, most of the time it combos but I'd rather have perfection at it Any tips?
Definitely do not mash b as much as possible. The only time this might work is against a floaty bigbox like mewtwo, with no escape DI. I rarely let them fall out of my down b and I just hit it at a constant rhythm, about 5 or 6, maybe 7 times during the DownB. Mash less versus fastfallers, and mash less if they're at a high enough percent for it to be less necessary to kill. Normally 130% or above, if I down throw downB, I mash much less because it is easier to kill them.

It is also better if they stay on the edge of the hitbox which you already know. If I DThrow and they DI away, I jump towards then continue moving that way as I rise with down b. If they DI in and are right above you after DThrow, then up B is guaranteed and more consistent but MUCH more risky if you time it wrong or don't quite follow their DI as well as you should. I normally only go for this versus less skilled players because of the huge risk if done incorrectly.

Down throw turnaround Bair anywhere near the edge is a great, much more reliable kill option than any other followup. In center stage killing off the top is usually more reliable though. Practice all your followups and how much mashing is necessary for certain character types and you will be getting kills much earlier with our green friend (:

Top Bottom